Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can i paint the "EXACT LOCATION" of terrain?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jfamap, Dec 30, 2016.

1. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

OMG you can't paint sprites. You have to make the sprites yourself. I did mine in Paint.

Do the tutorials!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  2. jfamap

jfamap

I mean terrain top of the square. Sprite stays ground of the grid for the calculate grids manually but i can't paint top of the sprite NOT the sprite. If i lower the height the sprite it goes away and becomes useless. I tried to use sprite just for adjust grids. Because i can't resize grids but i can resize sprite.

I did and i told many times. Read the posts carefully.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

@jfamap, you really aren't cut out to make games. You should probably give up and go into something else.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the most basic principles of how games work. You won't listen to anyone's advice. And you seem to be stubbornly stuck on doing things the wrong way.

I'm really not sure what else we can do to help you, short of making the game for you.

DroidifyDevs and Ryiah like this.
  4. Teila

Teila

Terrain is a mesh. Go to Create and click on terrain and the terrain will appear. Go to the inspector and look at the gear thingy, then go down to the size and change the size settings.

I am only guessing this is what you want. You have to paint on the terrain, not on the grid. :)

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Creating the terrain hasn't been the problem from my understanding. It's been just about everything else related to it like creating custom brushes and I believe the current problem is that he hasn't figured out how to change the settings of the terrain (specifically the heightmap resolution) which as you mentioned are under the Gear setting.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain-OtherSettings.html

6. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

What grids are you trying to resize?

For example, the red one here?

I believe you have no concept on what are the Editor and Game views. Because if you did the tutorials and had a basic grasp of the engine, you'd realize that those grids are just a gizmo you can turn off, and will not show in-game. Apart from lining stuff up, I find them kind of useless.

If you aren't willing to spend a few days looking thru tutorials and how to code c#, if you want to keep doing things the wrong way you've been doing, then as @BoredMormon said, we can't help you and you should go into construction and tell people that hitting nails with screwdrivers is the correct way of doing things. You are by far the most stubborn and unappreciative user I've ever tried to help.

At this point I'm just waiting for a moderator to close this thread as you're completely unwilling to accept advice.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're asking us to accept that you've done the tutorials but at the same time you're stumbling over very basic concepts involving the editor. There is a reason I continue to point towards the post where you couldn't create a folder. It is covered by most of the tutorials. If you had done them you wouldn't have had to ask. Thus my conclusion is that you haven't done them.

Keep in mind that by "doing them" we don't mean sitting there reading or watching the material. It's a well known fact that people simply don't retain a meaningful amount of information by only reading or watching. They need to repeat the steps themselves as they follow the material. This is why instructors hand out homework assignments after all.

Going against this method of learning will only create frustration for both you and the people who try to assist you.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  8. Teila

Teila

Yeah, well, he has been rude enough to the people who are trying to help him. That is too bad. Lots of great people here if you are nice and try to help yourself first.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  9. jfamap

jfamap

Guys okay i found solution on one of the helping groups on facebook. They solved my problem quickly. Maybe the reason they are not very well and they are thinking simple.

Finally after 10 days i can start terraining.

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Care to share the solution here. If we really are educated idiots that can't help out a new user, it would be nice to see some examples of people who can. For next time.

Of course if you have a personal problem with me and don't want to share, that's cool too.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  11. jfamap

jfamap

I do not have a time for the hate anyone.

Solution is "Right click > Create 3D Object > Cube"

Now i have a cube with brown borders. I have lowered it's height and i can put it anywhere and resize freely. Now i have a grids with any size i want.

12. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's what you were asking for? Next time ask how to make a cube, and we can show you that.

But you know creating a cube is one of the first things in that learn section we keep harping on about. Its one of the first things in the manual. It should have been the first thing you encountered in any of those tutorials you did.

Making a cube is Unity 101, which we kept saying you needed to learn how to do.

Which makes me believe you never did any of the tutorials. Man I hate being lied too.

DroidifyDevs likes this.
  13. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Not only are you lazy, stubborn and disrespectful, but you also lie. And didn't Ryiah talk about copy-pasting cubes in one of his posts? I mean, no personal offence intended, but after 2 pages of posts that say the same thing over and over, that's how I can sum this up.

Here's what you said:
    And after all that, not only did you not know how to create a new folder, but also you didn't know how to make a cube. Either you're lying, or you are just not good at game development (or following instructions in general).

I'm curious to see how your project will go. Now that you've done the monumental tasks of creating a cube and folder, how about setting up the lighting? Baking the lighting? Occlusion culling? Shaders? Particle systems? Physics? That's going to be a lot harder than Richt-click > 3D Object > Cube.

Oh, I forgot, you'll use Right-click > Don't Learn > Make Game & Lots Of Money.

14. jfamap

jfamap

No i haven't asked how to make cube. I have asked the same thing. How can i paint "Exact" location and he said "you can do it with cube. Create cube, lower it's height and use it's borders as a grid. Now you have a grid as you want. Adjust freely."

15. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

How is creating a cube "painting"?

16. jfamap

jfamap

Nobody told me i can use cube while lowering it's height and adding borders and use it as grid. Only the facebook group about unity talked about it. I haven't insulted anyone and i even tried to not discuss anyone's skill. But everyone against me.

I told everyone i am new on Unity. I know how to make a cube but nobody told me "you can lower it's height and use like a grid"

It is not about the money. I was making Warcraft III maps since the 2002 from today. About my economical situation i never get started making my main map to real game. 15 years has passed and my "only" dream making it to real game. About the lightning or other things my friend started to work on unity but as an owner, i have a responsibility to create it's terrain first. After i do that, i can focus other things. I do not know what is your problem with me but no problem. Always everyone against me. You can think i am making it for money. Have a nice day.

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You've repeatedly insulted me.

I suppose we never mentioned this. Using primitives in Unity to figure out the placement of items is a fairly standard technique.

That I'll put down to misunderstanding your question. I was of the impression you wanted to make your actual terrain a grid. Not overlay a grid to use as a drawing tool.

Its also worth setting up a bunch of other primitives for the same thing. Unit spheres, yard sticks, and unit checkerboard textures are all useful for eyeballing things in Unity.

18. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

When someone says "using Unity's plane and cube primitives", a little creative thinking can bring that idea to mind. I'm glad you found that that is the perfect method for you. Also, saying that someone with almost 12,000 forum messages who's been around the forum since 2013 can't do the simple thing that you described is pretty insulting. It's worth noting that BoredMoron is on the "hall of fame" (https://forum.unity3d.com/members/) along with Ryiah, so you need a LOT of knowledge yourself to be able to claim that they don't know how to fill a cube in Unity.

You keep saying that everyone is against you. We're all here to try to help (as we've helped thousands of other users). Speaking from personal experience, I've asked many questions (some stupid, some decent) and have received many great answers that helped me quite a bit. No one is against you for no reason. But when you can't describe your issue, don't know basic things and continue doing things the old way that doesn't work, it gets close to impossible to help.

I didn't say you wanted money, that's part of the "Make a game" button ;)

Also worth noting that Unity is my hobby for now, I haven't made a single cent off of it. I actually lost $25 creating a Google Developer account. But once you know the basics, it's really interesting and fun.

I hope that you'll find your path in game development (with or without tutorials) and wish you the best of luck in creating your game.

Ryiah likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, and you also told us you had done the tutorials. Yet the solution you just gave us, which consisted of creating a cube and altering the size of it to make a grid, was covered by one of the most basic tutorials on this site - Roll-a-Ball!

If we weren't completely certain that you hadn't properly gone through the tutorials we are now.

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/roll-ball-tutorial

The Roll-a-Ball tutorial would have taken you a day in a worst case scenario. Someone willing to actually learn would have gone through that tutorial and would have already made their first level. Instead you're only just starting after ten because you ignored our advice of properly doing the tutorials.

While the others may feel insulted I'm more saddened that someone can be so dense that they ignore the advice that would have helped them the most and the fastest. Hopefully you'll think twice before ignoring advice in the future but the Internet has left me with the impression that stubborn people continue being stubborn.

Either way I'm off to assist in other threads where people will listen. It's far more productive use of my time than this.

DroidifyDevs and Kiwasi like this.
  20. jfamap

jfamap

Ok then listen

Yes guys you are right and i am wrong. You have many posts and you are well known member. I haven't solved my problem in this topic. I have solved it one of the facebook groups but the guy who solved my problem is not good. You are far better than him, than me and you are respectful. It was my fault i haven't solved my problem with your messages. If i was intellect person, i would solved it. And i am stubborn and maybe i have a low iq because i haven't solved my problem while looking your posts. It is me :) i am idiot and my knowledge is not enough to understand you. Only the another person taught me "you can use cube while lowering it' height as a grid" yes he solved my problem because both of us have a low iq. Low iq person asking, low iq person found solution. We are not in your league.

I hope everyone happy now. Have a nice day to everyone.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Intelligence has nothing to do with it. You simply choose to ignore our advice. It doesn't make you stupid. It does make you out to be stubborn. But stubbornness is not a sign of stupidity. Sometimes stubbornness is a good thing. Like when I stubbornly insisted on you properly following the tutorials.

I still highly recommend you actually do the tutorials by the way. Nothing will change my opinion on the matter because I know they can benefit you as they have benefited so many others. The proof of this can be found in so many of the threads in this section and from people in the community.

If you want to shrug off the advice that's perfectly fine just don't be surprised if the result is our shrugging off your questions.

It has occurred to me that this whole problem might be the result of a language barrier but at the same time you seemed to understand the posts we were writing and responded to them so I didn't ask.

DroidifyDevs and Kiwasi like this.
  22. Teila

Teila

Have a nice day yourself!

DroidifyDevs likes this.