Search Unity

How can I mimic the level design in the game called Ragnarok Online?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by SFoxx28, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SFoxx28

SFoxx28

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
    " frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skip to 0:55 to see the world map.

Hello everyone, I'd like to create a level similar to what Ragnarok Online has. The world itself is 3-D and in in a few places it appears to be voxel. At the same time all the characters are 2D including NPCs. For now I want to focus on the level design.

I don't know the proper terminology to accurately describe Ragnarok's level design so I'm hoping someone here has a few tips.

Can you direct me to the type of tools or software for Unity I would use to mimic the level of Ragnarok?

It does not have to be a direct/exact clone of it, just similar.

Thank you

2. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

There are a lot of assets available on the Asset Store that can help you accomplish this (a lot of them probably free, too). You can get a lot of the models and textures you might need from there.

ProBuilder, PolyBrush, and Terrain in Unity are also sufficient for this aside from authoring the textures.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I'd find the Unity terrain more than sufficient for most of the game too, for the ground.

4. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Iv worked heavily with the game itself, and even run a private server for it at one point, made custom dungeosn and mobs.
    Its a Hybrid 3d 2D engine.
    Commonly known as 2.5D
    Its from a Isometric POV, but they did not remove depth.
    All you need here is Unity terrain at a -70 degree camera angle and a culling cube just off screen.
    Characters are all just Billboarded NPCs with 8 directional sprites
    I assure you there is zero Voxel at play here or anything geometrically generated at runtime. Its a very simple game graphically tbh.
    Most of the Objects themselves are cleverly tiled texture primitives with vertex lighting to fake illumination. Occasionally you'd see torches cast real time lights...but other than that its all baked.
    Remember this game came out in Korea originally in 2002, SVGA and graphics card were only just then a common thing, and they were really weak, so they needed things that were extremely easy to render...which left them with primitives and a rendering cost slightly above what N64\PS2 could do.

They just have zone lines after you enter a hole or walk far enough on each map.

I hope this might have answered some of your questions, if not please ask for more. I'm somewhat...and I mean this loosely, very loosely an expert on how that game works. At the very least more than most...As Iv like I said tweaked it at runtime on my own servers