Search Unity

How can I make a server to play with friends that are on a different WiFi network?

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by lgraham04, Nov 4, 2018.

1. lgraham04

lgraham04

How can I make a server to play with friends that are on a different WiFi network?

2. petera_unity

petera_unity

Unity Technologies

You need to make it so all your friends can connect to the IP address that the server is running on. This depends on your network setup. Maybe you need to ensure firewalls are configured properly (if the different wifi's are for example in the same office / campus). But the best way is to run the server in the cloud somewhere so it gets a normal, public IP address that everyone can connect to. This will work no matter where in the world your friends are.

-peter

3. Noonestuff

Noonestuff

Hi guys, I've tried something that works.
    Tried to connect by IP with no luck, even with the port open and the server allowed through the firewall. But in LAN it worked fine.
    Then something occurred to me, Hamachi :D
    This is only works for small small scale testing, Hamachi only allows 5 connections in each network. But its perfect to try the sample with friends.

AggressiveMastery likes this.
  4. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Nevermorint is on the right path, a private application to build a small Virtual Private Network (VPN) would be needed.

Hamachi, shizzz I think I used that to play Jedi Knight II and maybe NetMech? Back in the day? Hell yA!