Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I make a character grab an object at different object points?

Discussion in 'Animation Previews' started by Ratslayer, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Ratslayer

Ratslayer

I want to be able to grab an object, a sword in my case, at any place at runtime, like by the handle, the guard or the blade. However, I don't want it to be predetermined, but decided at runtime at the time of parent switch. I tried to use multi-parent constraint, like in the sample, but it only allows to snap the sword transform to another transform, while I want to preserve the offset between the sword and the hand at the time of grabbing.

I tried to use Maintain Offset option in the settings, but all it does is preserve the offset between the sword and the hand at the startup time, so basically the T-Pose. When I switch the parent weights, the offset is not recomputed. In fact, none of the settings are updated at runtime - I am not sure if that's intended behaviour.

Is there any way to achieve what I want with the existing constraints?

2. hawaiian_lasagne

hawaiian_lasagne

The MaintainOffset is only calculated at startup afaik.

You could try offseting the ref_hand node by the sword offset measured at runtime maybe? Or create a child node of ref_hand, and use this as the target. You can then move that child node relative to the hand and set it's offset by whatever you need