Search Unity

How can I import PSD file

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by kliucn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. kliucn

kliucn

Want to import a PSD file (CS5) which contains several layers, however, it shows blank in Unity after imported.
    But if I put a simple PSD file to the Assets folder, it imported fine.
    Do I have to use PNG format instead of PSD?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

PSD works fine. Unity loads all PSD files I've used, no matter how complex. Maybe it's a CS5 thing? I have CS4.

--Eric

3. kliucn

kliucn

Resolved by using the maxinum compatible PSB format when saving.

4. dropzone

dropzone

All Photoshop .psd files store a merged (flatten) layer for compatibility, so it shouldn't matter how many
    layers it has, or what the file version is. I'm sure Unity is only reading the merged layer.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

CS 5 PSD imports normally here, maybe you turned off the compatibility save feature at some point, or something.

6. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Is there a way to get it to select a certain layer? Better still select a layer for Albedo, anther for bump maps, another for specular etc?

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Could be some third party utility or script, the only way I know of is to turn off unwanted layers before importing.
    I usually save the diffuse into my project, (back in PS) adding a gradient map (blue to purple) might be used for a specular map.
    Back to the diffuse map, you can set the image mode to grey-scale, save that as normal, then set it as normal in Unity.
    Add a brightness/contrast adjustment to the grey-scale, cranking up the brightness and contrast for height map.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Using a greyscale version like that doesn't really work, and results in a poor-quality normal map (at best). I know it's tempting to save time by doing that, but Just Say No to greyscale cheats. Normal maps do need to be constructed properly to be effective.

--Eric

9. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

That won't work if I want to use the same file for Albedo, Metallic, Emissive etc.