Search Unity

How can I give textures the muddy/blended look from a distance?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Snubber, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Snubber

Snubber

I am making a custom shader for my procedurally terrain that can output different textures depending upon the biome. I have bought a grass texture from the asset store and I am using it in my shader. It looks fine up close but it looks bad from a distance. From a distance it looks very noisy. When I use the same texture with on a default URP lit material an effect is applied that blends the noisiness of the texture together and it looks a lot better.

See the attached image. Here you can see that from a distance the surface of the terrain looks like green white noise. But I have one chunk of the terrain with the default URP lit material with the same exact texture applied.

I know the texture is also clearly repeated which does not look great so if anyone has any recommendations on how to fix that as well I am all ears. closeup.png far.png

2. Snubber

Snubber

Nevermind! I realized that I had the grass texture going into a 'Sample Texture 2D LOD' node instead of a regular 'Sample Texture 2D' node