Search Unity

Question How can I get the string of the value of a SerializedProperty?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ftejada, Jan 23, 2022.

1. ftejada

ftejada

Hi all!!
    Can you get the name(string) of the value of a SerializedProperty?
    That is, I don't want the name of the SerializedProperty variable... I need to get the value of that variable in string.

for example, I have a variable of type enum called Features{Fog, Rain, etc}":
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public Features e_feature;
    In the customInspector I get this variable:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_e_feature = serializedObject.FindProperty("e_feature");
    And when the time comes, I need to access from m_e_feature the string of the value it contains... that is, the string of the flags {Fog, Lluvia, etc}

using the api functions "serializedProperty.displayName, serializedProperty.name, serializedProperty.ToString()" I can only get the string "e_feature", but I can't access the value string...

Any idea how to do it?

Greetings
    caracteristica

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  2. ftejada

ftejada

Any help or information to know if it can be done or not?...

Greetings

3. ftejada

ftejada

I've kept searching the internet but I can't find anything that helps me... or at least, something that tells me if it's possible to do what I want.

Is it possible to access the string value of an enum via SerializedProperty?
    I'm starting to think it's just not possible.

Any help or information?

Greetings

4. spiney199

spiney199

Never used this part of editor coding (I do it all with Odin), but looking at the documentation I can see three properties that might of interest to you, enumDisplayNames, enumNames and enumValueIndex.

I think you're always going to need to get the actual value out of a serialised property in order to gleam the information you need.

ftejada likes this.