Search Unity

Question How can I get the same results as Mathf.PerlinNoise from a C# Job?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Snubber, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Snubber

Snubber

Hello, I am developing a game with procedural terrain generation. I'm working on transitioning all the mesh generation code from .NET threads to Unity C# Jobs. I was using Mathf.PerlinNoise in before but I can't use it in a Job. I know there are many other noise options that can be accessed from a Job but the problem is that I need it to have exactly the same output because players are currently playing the game and if I updated the game to use a noise function with a different output then all of the player's buildings will no longer be on the terrain.

Does anyone have any insight into how the Mathf.PerlinNoise function works and how I could possibly replicate it with Unity.Mathematics.noise.cnoise?

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Hi, unfortunately PerlinNoise is implemented on the native side of the engine. And its highly unlikely that you'll get related code exposed, as UT member mentioned already in a different thread.

But, you can use Mathf.PerlinNoise as is. And it will also [burst] compile just fine.
    It seems to be thread-safe, and Burst is able to call into extern functions.
    That may not be as fast as math implementation, but it should provide identical results.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Snubber likes this.
  3. Snubber

Snubber

Thank you! I don't know why I thought Mathf.PerlinNoise wasn't accessible from c# jobs but you are correct, it is!

samkirton likes this.
  4. runner78

runner78

The Unity.Mathematics package has multiple burstable noise functions (perlin, simplex, cellular)

mmcveigh33, Yuchen_Chang and Krajca like this.