Search Unity

How can I get SkinnedMeshRenderer to work with Ragdoll Joints?

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by Nyanpas, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

I can't seem to find anything on the internets about this and I am trying to see if I can get anything to work, but it seems I can do either of these:

- Have a visible skinned mesh renderer.
    OR
    - Have functioning ragdoll joints.

If I use the ConvertToEntity.cs-scripture and inject a GameObject, the SkinnedMeshRenderer becomes visible but the Physics Joints will not activate, and if I convert and destroy, the joints spring alive but the mesh disappears.

The SkinnedMeshRenderer belongs to an imported .FBX with a humanoid rig that works with the conventional system like ConfigurableJoints, of which you can observe here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...-configurablejoints-on-a-humanoid-rig.661660/

Please help.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

So I guess this is impossible?

3. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

I am fairly sure skinned mesh renderers are not supported in ECS yet. You can bake the animations and use that with ECS. I think the huge MOBA talk at Unite LA has info on that.

4. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

That limits a lot of what I want to do. I currently have to rely on configurable joints for riggybodies using PhysX, but since it's not as optimised as the new Unities' physics system, I wanted to switch. I guess this will delay my ECS-integration a little longer.

5. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

I would just modularize everything so when those features do come out you can rip out your old system and replace it with the new stuff. I would do all the physics in ECS and then write a converter to move those joins to a linked skinned mesh renderer. Once the skinned mesh renderer comes out for ECS, then you can replace that.

Djayp likes this.
  6. Djayp

Djayp

7. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

8. Djayp

Djayp

I didn't see that. There was no clean version available and up to date. It should work, the person behind is a pretty serious guy :D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  9. Nyanpas

Nyanpas

I don't need animation clips (personally I hate 3D animation and the clips it generates as it is becoming obsolete, is a waste of time and space, and is not dynamic enough compared to the Euphoria engine and similar excellent advances in adaptive 3D locomotion of recent times), I only need a skinned mesh ragdoll. I want to recreate the concept of the Euphoria engine or something similar in Unity. I know others are looking into "active ragdolls" as well, but it's so far been using PhysX, which is the same for me as well.

Thanks for helping out. I guess I'll just wait with this for now. ;w;