Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can i get rid of too dark or too white corners?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Berthil, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Berthil

Berthil

I always got this shadows or light on interior environments. How can i get rid of it? Can I edit the lightmap?

You can see some of the specs i am using on the images corner.png corner2.png

Thanks!

2. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Try to lower the ceiling so walls pass through the ceiling.

3. Berthil

Berthil

Thanks for your reply!
    The house is a single model built in blender using cube extrusion. Screenshot 2016-04-12 20.59.27.png
    The light is realtime.

4. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I would not make the entire house a single mesh. You should consider breaking the house down to small parts, or most likely you will have problems illuminating the house and issues that you show in the picture. In blender, with the faces selected you can hit the p key and choose "Seperate by selection". I would at least do it for the floor and ceiling, and maybe the walls. You could probally break the house down into six different parts.

Also, you want to check that the house has not reached the maximum size in the atlas.
    Click on the house mesh, in the lighting window, click on the Object button and verify the following warning is NOT displayed:

err.png

If the house is a single mesh, the chances are high this warning would be generated. This is why it's a good idea to break the house down to multiple parts.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

6. Berthil

Berthil

Thanks for the replies!
    I checked the maximum atlas warning and it was not on.
    I separated the ceiling from the rest and closed the gaps. The result is a bit better:
    Screenshot 2016-04-15 11.42.11.png
    I changed the "normals & tangent" -> normals to "calculate" but got strange results. I need more time to run more tests.
    this result is good enough for what i need to use it.

Next time i build a structure like this i will pay attention to this variables.

But it make me think about what is the best option to do this?
    • build in separete blocks on blender?
    • build in separate blocks on unity (all cubes)?
    • purchase a unity mesh editor on the asset store?
    • Other
    Thank you!

7. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

The result is much better. ["A bit better" is an understatement :) ]
    I would suggest not using Unity cubes. Just create your own models and import the cubes from Blender. You have much more flexibility that way: you can create your own texture unwrapping.
    Also, sometimes it's better to use Blender plane instead of a cube for a floor. The reason: the bottom of the cube wont be visible, so your just wasting space in the lightmap atlas.

You can probally get rid of the darkness on the corners by increasing the scale slightly in light atlas. For example, try to change it from 1 to 1.5 and see what happens.
    You can also increase the baked padding in the model import section. This allows more space between the shapes to improve the baked results. This can elliminate the dark blotch on the ceiling.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. Berthil

Berthil

kkk ok. My main language is portuguese (I am from Brazil). Sometimes we try to translate the same way we talk here but it doesn't work for all languages : )
    I will try to make the changes you sugested and i will post the results here.
    Thanks again for your help!

9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Also, try enabling Final Gather for baked GI.