Search Unity

Question How can I export my game for Linux ARM64?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LetmeDwight, Oct 5, 2022.

1. LetmeDwight

LetmeDwight

I already tried .apk files, but they are incompatible for Ubuntu and Raspian ARM.
    Any idea how to export my game as a executable file for Linux with ARM64 Architecture?
    I already tried asking on Unity Discord Servers, but got always avoided or ignored with this topic.
    Is it currently even possible to export my build for "Linux" with ARM64 architecture?
    Or is it at least planned for future Unity Versions, to support ARM architecture for Linux and maybe Windows Builds?

2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

You can't. Unity doesn't support building for Linux ARM.

3. LetmeDwight

LetmeDwight

Any idea when ARM64 will be added to Unity for Linux and Windows builds?

I mean even windows11 is spreading on ARM and the only reason why there are so less ARM based Linux or Windows games is, that Engines like Unity doesen't support such a export-option for the Game Devs.
    I would take care of it if Unity would give me the option to export my games for Windows and Linux ARM.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Official statement is "no plans".

https://forum.unity.com/threads/support-for-linux-arm.1262756/

Explanation is it's very expensive to do so, and to quote the developer "there is just no viable gaming market from what we can see there". That's not to say there aren't gamers there. Just that the bean counters have decided it's not yet profitable enough.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/any...port-for-arm-linux.296976/page-2#post-8133320
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/any...port-for-arm-linux.296976/page-2#post-8143835

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    LetmeDwight likes this.
  5. LetmeDwight

LetmeDwight

It's all an endless vicious circle. How are gamers supposed to get interested in Linux and Windows ARM when there are little to no games for it? How are developers supposed to develop games for it when the game engine only create this build option if there are enough gamers there?...

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Somebody has to make a device, create a gaming ecosystem (where people can sell their games), market it to gamers and pay devs to port their games to it. The same way new consoles appear.

In other words: somebody has to spend $$$ to make it happen.

Ryiah and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Why do we need gamers to be interested in these platforms?

Same way you would develop for any platform before advanced tools are available: with C++.

Including paying some of them to make their game(s) exclusive to their platform which can be very expensive.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  8. damvcoool

damvcoool

Would be nice to add support for Linux ARM64

9. Microlinux99

Microlinux99

This is not exactly true. There are no arm64 linux games, but there are tons of x86_64 unity games that can be easily emulated on arm64 with box64 if unity gets ported to arm64 linux.

Currently, many games run great, like huntdown, xeno crisis, blasphemous, etc.. but, they would run twice as fast if there would be arm64 unity libraries, why? Bc they could be wrapped.

Like on system libs, box64 wrapper those to native arm64 libs. Unity engine is very costly on emulation and some games suffer a lot from such. Even if there's no games, porting it would largely increase the amount of games to make arm linux viables as a steam deck 3 or 4 platform :)

10. DevDunk

DevDunk