Search Unity

Question How can i edit/Extend the Visual scripting Graphs UI

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by S2NX7, Sep 5, 2023.

1. S2NX7

S2NX7

I want to know if its possible to edit the UI of the graph window and if so how do i do it like can i add a button to the tool bar or add another side bar?

iScriptz likes this.
  2. termway

termway

UVS Finder adds a context menu to find the selected unit in graph but it seems quite complicated (it involves injection)
    You can take a look at this script:
    https://github.com/myanko/uvs-finde.../ContextExtension/UVSGraphElementWidgetExt.cs

Another way to make such a change would be to import the VisualScripting package in your project's local folder (Assets/) and edit the VisualScripting source code directly.
    I personally chose this approach because I wanted more control over VisualScripting (for example to improve error logs, add a summary attribute, ...)

S2NX7 likes this.
  3. S2NX7

S2NX7

If i edit the files directly it resets after a script reload and it would be difficult to add those changes to a package anyway but i will look into how UVS finder does it

4. S2NX7

S2NX7

Thanks btw i found how to use Harmony to edit the graphs UI

5. termway

termway

I'm glad it is working for you.

Just to clarify for the second method: if you are using the package manager to import VisualScripting you cannot edit the source code.
    However, you can copy and paste the code from the package (Library/PackageCache/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0) into your project to modify it. (ex: Assets/ThirdParties/com.unity.visualscripting@1.8.0) and remove the VisualScripting package from the package manager.

As they don't update this package often it can be a good solution too. In my opinion it is simpler than using Harmony.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  6. S2NX7

S2NX7

yea the thing is i want to edit visual scripting for the community addons so i cant add those changes to the package if i do it like that

termway likes this.