Search Unity

How can I delete projects from the Unity Hub?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I can not find a way to delete projects from the Unity Hub. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help with this.

2. mathieub

mathieub

Unity Technologies

Hello @mwsheeler ,

Currently this is not possible within the Hub, but the feature is already in our backlog.
    Cheers

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

ok thanks mathieub...can't wait.

4. bocs

bocs

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Works like a charm...thanks bocs. Really nice to have.

6. unity_MM4MvAMfIIPJ2g

unity_MM4MvAMfIIPJ2g

This is odd! If there is an external app, how come there is no internal app? This feature is desired for over 5+ years.

bluescrn likes this.
  7. kayy

kayy

I managed to do this by opening the Unity version executable directly from Explorer / Finder e.g. "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.8f1\Editor". The old Unity Open Project popup appears with a cleaned project list.
    Quit Unity without opening, reopen Unity Hub et voilà

titanti, SethiGrant and RedMasterZero like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

How long is this backlog? I feel like this feature was promised over a year ago and I don't think it's a terribly difficult thing to implement. Is there a roadmap we can see? It feels like everything we've gotten since the 1.0.0 release has primarily bugfixes, but that was back in September. This feels like a pretty simple QoL fix.

YC-Unity likes this.
  9. TomGuldin

TomGuldin

Barring a fix for this problem anytime in the near future could you [Unity] provide the location where Hub stores the Projects list? That way we could go in and edit it directly to remove old projects. It gets REALLY old scrolling through lists of old projects just to get to what you want.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you mean by "old projects"? Projects that you no longer work on but you don't want to delete? If so, to make them disappear from the list, you'd just need to move them from their current directory to a new one. :)

11. Wei-Lin-D

Wei-Lin-D

2.0 beta 3 still can't remove projects from the list

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm still looking for that list; it's obviously somewhere on my computer. If it's editable, removing projects from the list should be easy.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

mgruv likes this.
  14. Schmaggis

Schmaggis

Hi Unity Team,
    it is quite embarrassing that this feature is still missing and everyone has to delete it manually in the registry.... As it is quite normal to reorganize your folder structure from time to time or you just started a temporary project for testing purposes and deleted it afterwards... this is a absolute basic feature. I really wonder how you can publish the unity hub without it.. it's like programming something good, but forgot the start button.

Sorry for this - maybe a little non constructive - feedback, but I really can't believe for how long I always see the answer: It is planned and will come soon. In all outher matters I'm a real fan of Unity and would like to use the Unity hub too... some day...

Cheers and so long

sramana, ericbing and ColdMud like this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

If you created a project and deleted it; it will automatically disappear from the list in the Hub. All you have to do is quitting the Hub from the tray.

Deleting the list in the registry is not that much of a pain if you bookmark the place (in "Favourite"). ;)

16. VoodaGod

VoodaGod

so i just updated to 2.0.0 on linux, and this is still not possible even with the new UI. Anyone know where UnityHub stores the project list on linux?

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

18. derkoi

derkoi

Yet another feature that doesn't work properly in Unity. Why would you even consider not have the option to remove a project? How dumb!

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's not like it would be completely impossible to remove projects from the list since:
    1. you can delete your projects in the Explorer/Finder,
    2. Unity Hub updates itself accordingly after you have removed a project; just don't forget to quit it from the tray,
    3. you can edit the registry, if you are fussy about how clean your registry must be.
    Anyway, the team is working on removing the registry key and storing the list in a text/json file, easier to edit. Then, there will probably have a "delete project" directly in the Hub.

If you know how to do that, you can contact them and offer your help. :)

20. derkoi

derkoi

Not sure about you but I work full time with Unity, have done for over 5 years. It's little things like this that add up, continually having to do all these hacks. It's becoming a nightmare.

"Lets make a Hub to allow people to create and manage their projects"
    "Yeah, but lets leave out a delete function, that makes sense...."

VoodaGod and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, maybe deleting projects doesn't make much sense either?

22. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Want this feature! Should have been a standard feature from the beginning, IMO.

23. ivanixgames

ivanixgames

+ 1 pretty please with cherries on top!

24. Aethenosity

Aethenosity

Incorrect

Thechug7 and MieszkoSoft like this.
  25. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

+1

At least let us remove it from the list...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  26. mbolstad

mbolstad

In the new Hub (2.0.1, MacOS), I selected project->Reveal in Finder and then deleted the directory from within the finder. After restarting the Hub the project is removed from the list.

HungPark and mystert like this.
  27. grizzly

grizzly

+1.

If the Hub's intention is to simplify the management of projects and installs, then the inclusion of "Delete from Disk" and "Remove from Hub" options would be extremely helpful. :)

Thechug7 likes this.
  28. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is how things work by default. Deleting directly from the Hub should come in later versions though; more practical, one click only. :)

Danger_Face likes this.
  29. mystert

mystert

I just did the same thing.

30. HungPark

HungPark

"
    "

Hi, mbolstad,

Thank you very much.
    I deleted my project file cleanly with your help.
    Thank you again.

31. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I really need this feature, Unity Hub's project list is just going to be messier and messier if I can't remove projects from project list. Can't believe that Unity Hub doesn't have this functionality.

ericbing likes this.
  32. VRRehabInc

VRRehabInc

Please get this going. I've got about 100 projects to scroll through now. I'm not deleting them or moving the dir because they're linked to git repos. Just store them in a JSON file. Not sure why this is so hard to do. We have to manually add projects. I'm OK with removing them from a json file (even better in my opinion as I could potentially have multiple JSON files for what "mode" I'm in... personal projects, opens source projects, or work projects).

33. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone !
    The "Remove a Project" feature is coming with the version 2.1 of the hub. So it's very soon :)

Vagabond_, maxthecat, sonnyb and 2 others like this.
  34. Until they release the new hub: Just move or remove the project directory from the folder and restart the Hub. They will disappear.
    I'm wondering how did you work before the hub then. This functionality was never part of the project handling...

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Do we have a release window, or is this the usual Unity "when it's done haha jk we pushed the feature back until Hub 3.0?"

36. safaGH

safaGH

Unity Technologies

@Murgilod ,
    We are estimating the release of the 2.1 to early August.

37. ericbing

ericbing

This is a terrible UX design, how can you be able to only add project, but can't delete them? That's like driving a car without a break. BTW, in order to open a project, user have to add it to the list first, then open it, god!

sramana and JeeJee85 like this.
  38. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

They already said multiple times its being added, with literally the last post before yours being official post from staff saying when its coming out, yet you still came here to make your only comment ever on these forums complaining about the already easy to get around issue that is being fixed?

39. RegahProd23

RegahProd23

In Unity Hub 2.0.4, if you delete a project, you just need to open the unity hub once, then try to find it by clicking the 3 little dots, and thne when you get the message saying it wasn't found, just restar the unity hub and it'll be gone.

40. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

It its there now in 2.1.0! Thanks UT!

safaGH likes this.
  41. Deleted User

Deleted User

No, because the Hub was incredibly rushed, incomplete and buggy. You can't even open Unity without this stupid hub and because it's so buggy, when it screws up, you just can't work, period.

Even with the new version where is supposedly works, as soon as you restart unity hub, they are all back again... so no, it still doesn't work

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2019
  42. xeleh

xeleh

I just made a quick test and it works for me.

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have a screen recording of me deleting everything from the list, then restarting hub and they are all back again... tried to use the bug reporter to upload it but that doesn't work either... I have screen shots of the bug reporter bugging out too

In the screen recording, the first couple of times it works because Unity is open in the background. When I also close the open Unity instance, that's where the bug is visible

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2019
  44. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Manoadamro,

Thank you for reporting this. It seems the editor is overriding the recent projects list. We'll address this as soon as possible. As for your issue with the Bug Reporter could you explain what is going wrong?

Thanks,

45. xeleh

xeleh

The bug is reproducing now here too. Every time I install or uninstall a Unity version I lose my current list of projects and an old list of projects is restored. Unity Hub v2.1.0 on MacOS Mojave.

46. WarpZone

WarpZone

Don't you just love it when Unity Team rolls out a new feature that's so jank that the community has to teach each other how to disable it? Unity Hub is the kind of product that just wasn't possible back before Unity Team started putting ex- AAA publishing company executives in charge of Unity's development. And I can't wait to see what other innovative new surprise "features" they sneak into Hub once it's been force-installed onto everybody's systems!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    halley likes this.
  47. Deleted User

Deleted User

New user, just got started with some tutorials.... would like to delete some of the trash projects ;)

Workaround confirmed: Deleting project folder does remove the project from the Unity Hub list.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2020
    Kisa-chan and Firdaws_bz like this.
  48. Randy93552

Randy93552

Poor customer service - check!

49. bugwar

bugwar

Any luck with deleting projects?

sramana likes this.
  50. Bit9Labs

Bit9Labs