Search Unity

How can I control the positions of objects handled by the Timeline?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by adishee, Feb 25, 2022.

1. adishee

adishee

Hi all.

So I have a scene in which some humanoid characters approach a canon and fire it, reload it, and return to an idle position (3d).

At first I accomplished this all manually with a lot of painstaking effort. (All of the parts were animated in Blender in unison, and the correct transforms were all set there and made it into Unity which allowed the scene to be aligned.) At some point I switched to using the Timeline feature which made things considerably easier to set up -- at least in theory. I have programmed it so that the timeline strips take possession of the characters' Animators when they approach, and then are able to operate their animations in tandem with the static pieces of the Timeline scene. So in this sense it is dynamic.

But now there is a new problem: I am unable to instruct the humanoid characters how to position themselves correctly so that the animations all line up no matter how hard I try.

I have tried Apply Transform Offsets, Apply Scene Offsets, root motion on and root motion off; nothing seems to work, the characters sort of set up in the scene where ever they want, it seems like. I have to say I really don't understand how this thing calculates positions and am about to give up and go back to the system that worked, albeit worked very painfully.

I am struggling to explain my situation more in ways that would be useful. One thing of note is that the Animators of the characters sit under a parent transform, which is a necessity.

Another thing which seems to be messing everything is that the humanoid characters are not located under the Timeline's hierarchy, indeed not even horizontal to it; they are located in a completely different part of the scene hierarchy. It is merely their Animators which are injected into the appropriate Timeline strips.

Is there any way to arrange the scene the way I want in Preview and have all those positions reproduced when the correct Animator is dropped in? This seems to be what Apply Transform Offsets is for, but it is just not operating in this way and I'm at loss.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022