Search Unity

How can I check a simple trajectory?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Marscaleb, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I'm starting work on an enemy who is going to lob projectiles at the player, but they are going to travel in an arc.
    Is there a simple method to try to determine the viability of a curved path?

Like, we've got all these raycast functions that let me check a direct line to see if anything would block a straight-line path. We've got options to test those paths with spheres and capsules. But do we have a method to do a quick raycast or raycast-like-thing over a curved path?

I want to be able to perform a check if a lobbed projectile could feasibly hit a target.
    I could devise a look-up table that says if target is X distance then fire at Y angle, and maybe even one that adjusts for various heights. But I'd like to check the path of the projectile so I don't wind up with stupid exploits where you can stand right next to a barrier of some kind and all the shots miss. But I also want something that isn't too processor intensive because I could have dozens of these guys in the scene, and I could be checking for a firing solution repeatedly.

2. mgear

mgear

i'd try raycast along the path (multiple raycasts along the segments, not necessarily full path resolution, if its really smooth curve..)

3. alexeu

alexeu

and many tutos concerning trajectory prediction on YT

4. Lethn

Lethn

Also look up Parabola Arc.

5. Marscaleb

Marscaleb

I took a look, but it was surprisingly unhelpful.
    All the tutorials were about drawing an arc in the scene so you could see a trajectory. And each tutorial I saw used a different method to do this, but none of them seemed like ones I could adapt to my needs.

I need to find what values would work to hit a target, and then test if the required path is clear. It's practically the opposite direction from what these videos are showing. Any maybe there is one that I could adapt for my needs, but I haven't found it.

But thanks for the suggestion.

6. alexeu

alexeu