Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How can I change the rotation of an instantiated object?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jleven22, Dec 9, 2022.

1. jleven22

jleven22

This is for a 2D orthographic project (top down).

I'm trying to instantiate a bullet from a gun.

Then when the health is at max, I want to instantiate a bullet in the opposite direction also.

For some reason, this current script is only instantiating a second bullet to the right.

Code (CSharp):
    2. if (PlayerHealthController.instance.healthAtMax && LevelManager.instance.hasSwordShotA)
    4. {
    6. Instantiate(swordToFire, firePoint.position, firePoint.rotation);
    9. if (LevelManager.instance.hasSwordShotAUpgrade)
    10. {
    12.  Instantiate(swordToFire, firePoint.position, Quaternion.Euler(firePoint.rotation.x, firePoint.rotation.y, firePoint.rotation.z));
    15. }
    16. }
    Obviously I'm misunderstanding how a quaternion.euler is supposed to be read, but I need a little guidance. Can anyone advise? Thanks!

2. jleven22

jleven22

Bumping ^
    Thx!

3. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

variable A = Instantiate(YOUROBJ);
    A.rotation = YOURROTATION.

4. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

Do you have a picture of what "instantiating a second bullet to the right" means? My guess is that your bullets pushed each other outside of their collision boxes, but it's hard to tell from the description.

5. jleven22

jleven22

Sure! Here's an example:

https://imgur.com/a/NRN7QnD

You can see how the second bullet, one from this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  Instantiate(swordToFire, firePoint.position, Quaternion.Euler(firePoint.rotation.x, firePoint.rotation.y, firePoint.rotation.z));
    is going only to the right.

6. jleven22

jleven22

Yeah but how do I write that rotation for "YOURROTATION"? Wouldn't it be the same issue? I need to figure out how to instantiate and changing only one axis angle.

7. spiney199

spiney199

So by this I guess you mean you want to shoot one backwards?

I believe you can just do
    Quaternion.Inverse
    on your
    firePoint.rotation

EDIT: the above might flip the sprite upside down too so that may not be wanted. In that case you can use your firePoint.forward, reverse it and use look rotation:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 backwardsDirection = -firePoint.forward;
    2. Quaternion reverseRotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(forward: backwardsDirection, upwards: Vector3.forward); //assuming forward is towards the screen
    3. Instantiate(swordToFire, firePoint.position, reverseRotation);

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  8. halley

halley

Some basics about Transform. After reading this, you might be able to pose more specific questions in a way we can help.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-is-transform-forward.338384/#post-3684166

It sounds like your project might be 2D; the same concepts apply from 3D. You can set the position AND the rotation of any object once it's been instantiated. You have to decide what position you want, and what rotation you want. There are methods on Transform, on Vector3 or Vector2, and on Quaternion classes which can calculate those values.

9. jleven22

jleven22

Hmm... I tried this but appear to be getting the exact same result. The new projectile instantiates only to the right.

It might help if I share how I'm moving the bullet once it's instantiated?

Code (CSharp):
    1.             theRB.velocity = transform.right * speed;

10. spiney199

spiney199

I'm going to assume that 'transform' refers to the projectile's own transform, and that clearly isn't right. Get the direction you fired the original project at, and put a - in front of it. That's the direction you send the other projectile in.

11. jleven22

jleven22

Man I figured this out! The issue is the bullet script was in update, so the rotation was never happening quite right. So essentially I had to create a bool protected method in that script and call it while passing a bool condition. Worked it out, I'm just dumb (face palm).