Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I change the First Person Character Controller "Far" property?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Dyzinel, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Dyzinel

Dyzinel

Good morning, or should I say good evening?

That Starter Asset comes with a CinemachineBrain attached to it, and it always impedes me from changing the "Far" property on MainCamera. Disabling the CinemachineBrain or changing its update mode to "Manual Update" both allows me to actually change the "Far" property, but it also makes the camera stop doing the cool stuff, like following the player, and that's obviously not what I want. I don't want to disable it or its updates, I want to know how can I set the "Far" property without doing any of these two steps, in a way that everything still works normally. Like, show me where in the script should I mess with and how to do it, cause I don't really understand much of scripts.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

No need to mess with scripts. The main camera is puppeteered by the CinemachineVirtualCamera that is part of the StarterAssets rig. It will overwrite whatever you change in the main camera. To change the Far value (or any other lens property) you need to change it in the Lens section of the CinemachineVirtualCamera component.

3. Dyzinel

Dyzinel

Oh, that totally did it and it was also super simple huh.
    Thanks a lot, gentle soul.

Gregoryl likes this.