Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I calculate the angular speed?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Compressed, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Compressed

Compressed

Hello,
    Let's say I have some game object with a bunch of children game objects and they have colliders and meshes, and such. I attach a rigidbody to this game object and set the mass to 1000.

The velocity and angular velocity are both zero at this moment.

Then i attach a script to that game object and do this (once)
    Code (CSharp):
    2. GetComponent<Rigidbody>.AddTorque(Vector3.up*5000,ForceMode.VelocityChange);
    How do i calculate how fast will the game object start rotating (in radians/second) around that given axis?
    (I can't use rigidbody.angularvelocity, because i need to calculate the speed change before i actually apply the force via addtorque).

if I needed to do the same thing for normal velocity and not the angular one, I would simply do addedForce/rigidbody.mass to get the speed change in m/s after that force is applied.

Thanks

2. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Hey,

Since you're using ForceMode.VelocityChange, the angular velocity delta will be exactly what you provided in the AddTorque call (Vector3.up * 5000). Only it will be clamped down to Rigidbody.maxAngularVelocity that is 7 by default so using a value like 5000 does not make any sense. When using VelocityChange, mass will be ignored. So in this case, the resulting velocity will be
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3.ClampMagnitude(rigidbody.angularVelocity + Vector3.up * 5000, rigidbody.maxAngularVelocity);
    For linear velocity it's the same, only you don't need to clamp it and again, no dividing by mass when using VelocityChange.

Cheers,
    Pärtel