Search Unity

How can I activate/ deactivate objects from start of the game instead of the room through playerpref

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by heyramb89, Jun 2, 2019.

1. heyramb89

heyramb89

Hey,

I am using PlayerPrefs to save some objects which are going to be activate and deactivate on certain conditions.
    What's happening now is, it only works when I enter in that particular room as rooms are also getting activated through SetActive.
    To elaborate it more, see the example and code below:

Suppose, there are 3 rooms; a, b and c. (only one room is active at a time)
    I want when I click something on Room C, an object (i) in the room B should get activated and object (ii) in the same room should get deactivated and it should get saved by Playerprefs so when I again play the game this should be intact.

But what's happening now is, if I close the game in Room C, everything is fine but if I close the game in the Room A the progress is gone. Perhaps, this is because of void Start() which is in the Room C rather than Room A. So till I don't enter in the Room C, the progress is not getting loaded.

Hope you understood everything.
    Please see the code below.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class SaveActivateTarget : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public GameObject target;
    8.     public GameObject hideTarget;
    10.     public void Start()
    11.     {
    12.         Invoke("ActivateMe", 0);
    13.     }
    15.     public void ActivateMe ()
    16.     {
    17.         if (PlayerPrefs.HasKey(target.name)) {
    18.             target.SetActive(true);
    19.             hideTarget.SetActive(false);
    20.             return;
    21.         }
    22.         else {
    23.             //Once clicked on gameObject, target.name will get saved.
    24.             if (Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0)){
    25.                 PlayerPrefs.SetString(target.name,"showed_once");
    26.                 target.SetActive(true);
    27.                 hideTarget.SetActive(false);
    28.             }
    29.         }
    30.     }
    31. }
    Is there anything else I can use instead of Start()?

2. Brathnann

Brathnann

Not sure why you're using Invoke to call ActivateMe...but besides the point.

If these rooms are all in one scene, you should just have a script that handles what needs to be on or off.

If they are in different scenes, you may want to have a script that loads up at the start of the game that moves over, or simply have each scene have a script that runs at the start of that scene and turns stuff off or on as needed.

I'm not really understanding your issue since I don't really understand how you have things set up. Why does a script that turns things off or on have to be tied to a room?

heyramb89 likes this.
  3. heyramb89

heyramb89

Thanks Brathnann for your reply.

Firstly, Yes, I will remove Invoke.
    I have a RoomManager to jump through different rooms.

Why does a script that turns things off or on have to be tied to a room?
    Ans: Because, if you see in the code, if player click on a certain object; e.g. light switch, it makes lights on (technically SetActive some images) and saves the progress by Playerprefs. That should only happen if player clicks on the switch.
    This is why I kept it in the same room. I am sorry I am beginner in the Unity.

4. Brathnann

Brathnann

It's fine if you have a script in a room that controls the switches. But you should have a script that handles all your saving and loading that you can use at the start of the scene to turn things off or on. Room 1 may have a script on it that determines if it's lights are on or off. Room 2 has a script for it. etc.

When you hit a switch, that playerpref could be something like

Note this is a rough example
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PlayerPrefs.SetString("room1_lights", "on");
    Then when you load up the scene, you get the playerpref and handle room 1 lights as needed.

I will say that playerprefs might not be the best use for saving game data stuff, but it may work for now while you learn.

heyramb89 likes this.