Search Unity

How can I achieve this style in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikhil12, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Nikhil12

Nikhil12

Hello,

I am making my second mini game (3d) and I want to achieve the same style in my game as shown in the image. I want advice from you guys on how to achieve this look as easily and efficiently as possible. Currently I am thinking of painting the texture in Photoshop and every texture in scene is unlit. I don't have experience in painting textures or making custom shaders. So is this style possible using shaders and post processing or should I stick to painting textures?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

I think toon shaders may something, that you want look at.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

Looks completely unlit to me. You could use an unlit shader with an outline for 3D.

If you're game is 2D, on the other hand, then just draw pictures that look like that. o_O

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unlit shader + outline.

Likely going to be a royal pain in the rear when you start animating it.

This is the rough idea (in blender, not in unity)
    upload_2021-6-14_9-25-23.png

Nikhil12 likes this.
  5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

there is at least one good outline toon shader on the store.

Getting the outline very crisp and perfect from all alongs will require iteration with your models. I think on animated characters you'll need to use topology like disney/pixar characters. The outline is usually calculated from normals so even though this might look like low poly, going too low poly will make the outlines ugly.

But the colors and tone is straightforward. Just hand paint your textures and tweak post process color grading.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021