Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How can i accurately see the size of a field in the memory profiler?

Discussion in 'Profiler Previews' started by TJHeuvel-net, Feb 27, 2023.

1. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

upload_2023-2-27_11-5-26.png

I'm trying to see the impact on data size for a few different approaches. When i select my script, and browse to the `localToWorlds` variable it size is reported as 8 bytes. This is perhaps the size of the (reference) variable itself, but what i am really interested in is the entire size of what it points to.

When i for example search for the actual type it (eventually, through a dictionary and array) contains, it shows 6.3MB as total. Is there any way i can see this total-object-tree-size at a glance?

2. GrahamHuws

GrahamHuws

Unity Technologies

Hi @TJHeuvel-net! There isn't currently a solution for what you're after I'm afraid, but it's actually something that should be added as part of ongoing work. We've added your feedback, thank you!

MartinTilo and TJHeuvel-net like this.
  3. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Thanks a lot!

What information am i supposed to get out of the size column right now? The size of a pointer?

4. GrahamHuws

GrahamHuws

Unity Technologies

Yep, If it's a reference type, it'll be the size of a pointer. If it's a value type, it should be the actual size of the value :)

TJHeuvel-net likes this.