Search Unity

how am i supposed to test my iOS game if i cant install itunes on linux? is there a way around this?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by YoJames, Nov 17, 2019.

1. YoJames

YoJames

So, I only use linux, and i want to make a game for iOS with unity... any suggestions on how to fix the fact that i cant install itunes?

Edit: I could use wine to install itunes but i dont think it would work the same way

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You need a Mac. Why are you installing iTunes? It's not needed in game development. Perhaps you meant XCode? You need a Mac.

3. YoJames

YoJames

i cant use a mac because they are freaking $1k+ and itunes is usually needed to connect other apps to an iphone...

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can't you access the app store directly from your phone or tablet without iTunes?

5. YoJames

YoJames

yes but there is a problem. upload_2019-11-17_9-32-13.png

yes my build setting is set to ios and i do have it installed

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm installing it to see if it shows in my editor. If it doesn't, I suppose a bug report will have to be filed.

Edit: nothing shows in the Editor Remote, editor drop down menu either for me but maybe it's normal; I'm not familiar with these settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
  7. Moonjump

Moonjump

That image shows the Unity Remote. That doesn't build to the device. It is for using a device for controls while connected to the Editor in Play mode. If you have an iOS device connected by USB and not showing, then there is an issue there, which can be caused by having the iOS device on a newer OS version than the editor version supports. Check that first.

If you want to build to an iOS device without a Mac, I believe there are services that support that, but I don't know how reliable they are. If you can get a build uploaded to App Store Connect, you can set the build up for TestFlight, then install the TestFlight app on your device, follow the instructions and download your app to your device.

A few other points: iTunes is not used at any point in the app process. A Mac Mini is less than $1K, even less if you go second-hand. If device prices are an issue, go Android instead and add iOS when you can. Porting is fairly simple with Unity. I did iOS to Android in a few hours. It would have been 15 minutes if there hadn't been NDK issues.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    YoJames and Deleted User like this.