Search Unity

how about WebGPU

Discussion in 'Web' started by Handsome-Wisely, May 6, 2022.

1. Zarod

Zarod

For what the big players in the industry want to do with it, WebGL is useless to them ... too many limitations.

It's only us that can appreciate it i guess.

But they say "dead" only as in it will not be developed further.

WebGL2 will stay with us for years and years to come ( correct me if I am wrong)

I'm not excited cuz I don't have a use for multithreading, as I'd rather just spread my calculations across many frames and provide a temporal solution to whatever problem I want to solve.

They are promising so much ... but I am afraid that if they only care about money, they will just focus of making it worj on powerful and new devices/GPUs, while with old/current devices they have less inventive to work on compatability.

AdamandEveStudios likes this.
  2. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@AdamandEveStudios I don't think you have anything to worry about with average people producing AAA games for the web :). No graphics API has anything to do with quality, or ease of use, especially for the typical person. Any graphics API, whether DX12, Metal, or WebGL, just provide a way to draw triangles. Drawing a triangle is easy. Drawing beautiful triangles, that's fun to play with, is hard.

And by WebGL being "dead", I mean as a specification. Khorons will not be adding anything more to it. Browsers are always able to add new extensions. And they will be working on maintenance support, fixing bugs and performance issues.

3. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

And for the record, I love WebGL. There are no plans at all to stop supporting WebGL. I also think WebGPU is amazing and am really excited by the possibilities it opens up. Compute shaders take some getting used to, but open up some awesome opportunities. It will slow at first getting WebGPU up to parity with WebGL, which has had over a decade to mature. But it will get there, and it will open up some new opportunities for games on the web that I'm excited about.

4. Zarod

Zarod

Can I ask you if anything is being done with physics in Webgl?

I am learning how to do it myself, similar to how quake and Deus Ex were doing it (very simple and barebone), but all the solutions I see around either

A) introduce Interpolation to be able to look smooth, which causes bugs and de_sync with transforms, or

B) "solve" the problem by requiring corrective repositioning in LateUpdate, or additional Joint Logic, which eats even more performance.

Physx is good, but unfortunately if you let it handle collision detection, you will see precious milliseconds used just for that, for Objects/agents that have yet to read the environment with raycasts to actually know where they are and how to respond.

All to attempt a "realism" that in my case I'd rather have " reliability and performance".

AdamandEveStudios likes this.
  5. unityruba

unityruba

Unity Technologies

@Zarod I think I can answer that with a "not at the moment". We have a lot of general optimization work to be done though, so we're actively working on that. :)

AdamandEveStudios and GDevTeam like this.
  6. djhatvr

djhatvr

7. Zarod

Zarod

So for now the best practice is to create "manager" scripts that act like jobs, as in they AT LEAST minimize the script state changes on the CPU ... if that's how they are called.

Although, from future DOTS programmers, it will look hillarious, as this way you get very little to none of the benefit, but with the annoyance of having a more complex code

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  8. Zarod

Zarod

What I don't understand is why
    1) Gravity is treated NOT like all other forces. As in, if gravity is applied but sleep treshold is met the rg_ goes to sleep, while constant forces require a //Cast to be disabled.

and

2) Why PhysX can't optimize interpolation based on distance travelled, and WE have to set it with a script based on necessity.

9. Unifikation

Unifikation

Is there any way that WebGPU's compute shaders will make OnAudioFilterRead access and usage possible on the web?

It seems it still won't allow multithreading, but could a "thread" be made as a compute shader for audio processing and then assigned as the OnAudioFilterRead "thread"?

10. zezba9000

zezba9000

What beta/alpha/release version of Unity is WebGPU support expected to be seen?

11. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Read the thread, its mentionned.

12. atomikm

atomikm

I saw in the recent Unity GDC talk that they are adding multi-threading support to WebGL in 2022 LTS, will this not also be coming to WebGPU?

I believe 2022 LTS was just released today

13. Zarod

Zarod

I don't think so.

Plus, Microsoft suggests sticking with 2021, as there were loading, performance and compatibility problems

I'll rejoyce into being proved wrong tho.

14. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@atomikm Multithreading in the Unity Web Player is available, I don't know off hand from which version, but has some significant limitations. It requires setting a ProjectSettings value to enable threading, and once enabled, requires some server configuration, and is limited only to internal C++ threading in the engine, not C# threads. There's some docs about it somewhere, I'd have to track it down.

This is separate and unrelated from WebGPU. The WebGPU spec was designed to eventually support multithreaded rendering, it does not currently support threaded rendering. Once it becomes available in the spec and browser implementations, then yes it's certainly something we will pursue, with the above requirements for WASM threading in general.

hm-mobil and saskenergy like this.
  15. Zarod

Zarod

I assume both the new "Unity Physics" and "Havok physics" packages (available after ver. 2022) are to be not even considered for us WebGL devs, correct?

16. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@Zarod this thread is about the WebGPU graphics API, not physics. I don't have any information about the new Unity Physics or Havoc, but I would very much doubt Havoc will be able to compile to WASM.

17. ulmermorozov

ulmermorozov

jimmy6dof and Unifikation like this.
  18. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

For the following comment on WebGPU in Unity I would like to say I am not affiliated with Unity just so people know.

For anyone wondering about WebGPU in Unity the snap shot below will make you very happy.
    This is doable in a currently public build that can be downloaded in Unity Hub right now.

Due note please do not ask the Unity devs when it will becoming. They are hard working on it and doing a great job with it.

At the moment a couple Emscripten bugs need worked out. If you have both WebGPU and WebGL active it won't build and you get some Emscripten errors while trying to build. This includes having Graphics API set to auto.

By what I am assuming when this bug is fixed they will make it seeable in the alphas.
    At the moment to see the WebGPU option I have to write an Editor function to show the WebGPU option in the Player Settings.

You can not see it by default because it is not ready yet, but the fact it is in the Engine already means the Unity devs have been doing an amazing job and working very hard to bring this to us.

Thank you Unity devs for your hard work.

Unity WebGPU.PNG

Goularou, hm-mobil, LooperVFX and 5 others like this.
  19. De-Panther

De-Panther

What Unity version is it?

20. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

This is using Unity 2023.2 Alpha 19. You will want to use this version of Unity if you even want to make the option available.

Because it is not ready yet, the option is not visible normally inside of the editor so do be warned.
    To be able to see it you need to write a custom editor function to enable WebGPU.
    It can be done in a only a couple lines though.

For anyone seeing this do note this is not ready yet for building. There is a good reason they have not made the option normally seeable in editor yet. Just wanted to let people know huge progress has been made on it for anyone wondering if Unity is taking this part of Web Development seriously.

This is my guess and only my guess so don't hold any Unity developer to it.
    In Unity 2023.2 we will have WebGPU or at least the first stages of being able to build with it.
    Last release of it had C# Reference code added into the .net project solution or enabling it which is why I was able to make it appear.

Message for the Unity dev team.
    Thank you for your hard work. Don't know if we as community members say it enough, but we appreciate everything you have been doing to make our lives as game developers easier.
    Hope you guys know your work is vastly welcomed and is not taken for granted by most devs.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.2/Documentation/ScriptReference/PlayerSettings.WebGL-enableWebGPU.html

21. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

After a long battle from which I still am recovering, I did manage to get the first "experimental" WebGPU code into the main branch to ship in 2023.2. I didn't even know it got pushed out into the public build yet, so that's nice to know :). Thanks @cecilcruxis!

Like @cecilcruxis said, it's definitely not ready for production and hidden behind a non GUI setting, `webGLEnableWebGPU`. You can edit the ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset file with a text editor and change the value from 0 to a 1, so you don't have to write a script. Once set, WebGPU will be available in the WebGL Player settings graphics api list. This being behind a non-GUI setting was a compromise with product management to get an experimental feature out without calling it an "experimental feature" :).

There are some major performance issues still, both from things we need to improve on in the Unity code, and things Google has been working on improving for Chrome. Unity assets, especially shaders, are significantly larger and more complex than other shaders they've been dealing with, and we've been working with Google to make sure the WebGPU shader compiler is optimized for them.

There is also not feature parity with WebGL, because of missing features in WebGPU. We've also been working with Google and the spec group to get feature extensions added to WebGPU to improve this. There are also graphics API functions we haven't finished implementing yet, so initially it may be a bit of a minefield of finding things that work or don't work. Thank you for your patience and understanding that this is a work in progress, it will improve, an any issues you come across are in no way indicative of how great WebGPU is. We were just excited to get it out, even in its current form, for you all to start experimenting with.

There will be a more formal write-up about it coming out soon. I don't know yet what form that will take, whether a forum post or something else. A better writer than me is working on it.

22. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@cecilcruxis I wasn't aware of any issue of having both WebGL and WebGPU in the graphics api list, but there was a mad rush of code getting pushed into the version branch, and it's always a miracle anything works after that. We'll get those types of issues that come up ironed out quickly. I don't know if we worked out a good support mechanism for reporting these type of issues with WebGPU yet, so for now I'll keep an eye on forums.

viruseg and De-Panther like this.
  23. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Did some tests and I found it was actually not an issue in a blank project.
    Created a blank project for 2D URP and did a build of WebGPU/WebGL enables and it built and ran perfectly.

Not sure if it is a Unity Package I had in my project or something else.
    Spending time today and debugging it for you. If I figure out a place I can point in the direction that the build fails I will update here.

I am thinking it might be something I was working with for Unity Collections Package, but I don't want to say yet, because I don't want to raise false flags until I know more concrete information.

But by the error I think it might have to do with a certain way I was using Spans with Unity Collections Package.
    I backported from newer .net some of the AsSpan functions for List and other types of Collections.
    Some of the code uses Unity Collections Package functionality in ways that I had to tweak to work for WebGL due to the thread limitation on the platform.

It worked up till Unity 2023.2 Alpha 19 when I first enabled WebGPU.
    Will try and add some build reports testing to get to the root of the problem.
    Due note when this happens it doesn't just fail as build in some cases it crashes Unity Editor all together

brendanduncan_u3d likes this.
  24. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@cecilcruxis You can message me any logs or reports you come across that look relevant. I know the BiRP post processing package still needs to be updated, for rendering issues because the shaders haven't been updated to acknowledge WebGPU yet. I don't know of anything that would cause Emscripten to fail.

25. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

So got it working now. It isn't an issue with something on Unity's side. It was a custom script that was adding AsSpan support for somethings that was originally added in .net 6, but I backported it to Unity.

Messing with it I managed to get builds working. Only thing is possibly updating some shader documentation.
    Do we have a list of different Shader structs functions we need to update for custom shaders?
    Using URP with HLSL.

LooperVFX and brendanduncan_u3d like this.
  26. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

We don't have any WebGPU specific documentation yet. We'll polish it all up with documentation and all that in the future.

There is a SHADER_API_WEBGPU shader define that gets set when compiling for WebGPU. The biggest obstacles I've hit so far are:
    * Lack of F32 filterable texture support. This will come soon in the form of a WebGPU extension in Chrome.
    * Lack of read-write storage textures in compute shaders. This will come in WebGPU "milestone 2" from Google.
    * No synchronous readback, so no readPixels or buffer data. You have to use the AsyncGpuReadback API. This will likely not change any time soon, WebGPU expressly did not want to implement synchronous readback, and we'll have to wait for certain WASM features to mature before being able to simulate synchronous readback.

There's other limitations I can't think of right now. If you come across any issues, let me know.

27. De-Panther

De-Panther

Should the VFX Graph work?
    Unity 2023.2.0a20
    URP + VFX Graph both versions 16.0.2
    I tried to use the basic samples in the VFX Graph package, but even in the editor, when I'm in Editor+Windows platform, VFX works.
    Once switched to Web platform in editor, gets "Invalid VFX Particle System. It is skipped."
    And after build, get the same error in web console.
    My guess is that VFX Graph is disabled on web.

28. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Would you be okay if I linked to some WebGPU documentation. Mainly documentation related to things like WGSL.
    Mainly I just want to help people wanting to learn more about WebGPU technology.

For those that are just now researching into WebGPU WGSL stands for WebGPU Shading Language.

WebGPU API uses WGSL to allow for shaders to run on the GPU from the browser.
    Think of allowing stuff like possible compute shaders in the browser window.

It might be a good idea for people wanting to learn more about WebGPU to have links for things like the following.
    • Shader Stage in the pipeline.
    • Entry Point Functions
    • Different supported math functions
    • Current supported browsers and links to WIP official browser support repos for those browsers.
    The list could go on for resources we could share with the community.

Could also be worth mentioning things like Project Dawn.
    Dawn is the open source cross platform implementation being worked on as a WebGPU Standard.

Could even add links to stuff like Kronos groups document updates PDF files they release on work being done in WebGPU currently.

29. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

I could be wrong about VFX graphs below, but I am almost sure of it so take the following with a grain of salt.

So VFX Graph as I understand uses compute shaders and that is why WebGL itself doesn't support them.
    WebGPU is one of the things that will let VFX Graphs work in browser, but I don't know if they have finished the
    Computer Shader implementation yet.

I can take a look tonight for you and test out some stuff with WebGPU and the VFX graph.
    For WebGPU I already got some working builds so no problem at all to test that out for you.

If you want to test it out yourself quickly. Try the following code in the Unity linked documentation below.
    It returns a boolean if compute shaders are supported in the current platform.
    If this return false than VFX Graphs haven't been fully implemented yet in Unity WebGPU builds.
    Just remember sometimes the code return based on the editor platform aka the platform Unity is actually using to test your game in play mode in and not the actual build platform.

So might want to test this code in an actual build.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SystemInfo-supportsComputeShaders.html

30. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@De-Panther Unfortunately VFX Graph requires read-write storage textures, which isn't currently available in WebGPU, but Google is working on adding it as an extension. As soon as we can get read-write storage textures in WebGPU, VFX Graph is high on my list of things I really want to get working.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    LooperVFX, De-Panther and saskenergy like this.
  31. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@cecilcruxis Sure, you're free to link those things, as appropriate.

For Unity, shaders are translated to WGSL from the source HLSL shaders. You can't currently write shaders directly in WGSL for Unity. WGSL has some limitations compared to other shader languages, but we do our best to translate HLSL into equivalent WGSL. We are working on improving this pipeline to generate smaller WGSL shaders, since WGSL tends to be a bit more verbose than HLSL or GLSL.

Dawn is the C++ library from Google that implements WebGPU for Chrome. It's an open source library, and can also be used to make desktop programs. Mozilla is also working on a Rust WebGPU library called wgpu, which is used to implement WebGPU for Firefox. For the web, these libraries are interesting for their source code information, but all that really matters is the WebGPU Javascript API.

De-Panther likes this.
  32. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@cecilcruxis Unity WebGPU does support compute shaders, but there are some limitations due to WebGPU that will improve as WebGPU adds those features.

De-Panther likes this.
  33. Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Jonathan-Westfall-8Bits

Just checking for the VFX Graph Compute Shader comment was that the correct info.
    Want to make sure my thought process about some of the VFX Graph needing Compute Shaders to work fully is correct so I don't say the wrong information.

34. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Yeah, you're correct, VFX Graph does require compute shaders, and will not work at all with WebGL because of that.

They will eventually work with WebGPU (hopefully) because WebGPU does have compute shaders, we just need the additional compute shader feature of read-write storage textures that currently isn't available for WebGPU.

De-Panther and saskenergy like this.
  35. Zarbuz

Zarbuz

I'm so excited to use VFX Graph for the web !
    Do you have an idea when the "milestone 2" from Google will come ? Is it still playable for 2023 or not before 2024?
    I had another question: will WebGPU improve SkinnedMeshRenderer performance in some way?

36. De-Panther

De-Panther

On what scenarios we can already see performance improvements over Unity WebGL?
    I tried some particle systems and got similar stats for WebGL2 and WebGPU.

37. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@Zarbuz SkinnedMeshRenderer will use compute shaders on WebGPU, and is calculated on the CPU for WebGL, so that will see benefit for scaling skinned meshes. And I don't know when the needed WebGPU features will be released, just that it's not soon enough.

@De-Panther Most cases, especially trivial examples, won't see much difference between WebGL2 and WebGPU because they aren't GPU bound. WebGL(2) has 10 years of optimization head-start over WebGPU currently. Over time we may start to see some differences at the high end of content due to reduced driver overhead, and in places where compute shaders can be used in place of doing things on the CPU, like mesh skinning. Or, if a project uses compute shaders, there will be an obvious difference. For example, for a hack week a while back, myself and a few others worked on doing an editable terrain project with marching cubes using compute shaders, which was a lot of fun and something that would not have been possible with WebGL. As we mature both the Unity graphics driver, and WebGPU itself matures and gets some more features, we will start to see more of a differences.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  38. Seto

Seto

@brendanduncan_u3d Hi. I try to use a video player and RT with WebGPU backend. It seems that it won't work. WebGPU is using external texture and binding group style to render the video. The original WebGL gl.texImage2D is not working. Is there a way to achieve this?

I found JS_WebGPU_ImportExternalTexture in WebGPU.js and I want to attach my own video tag to a materail. Is there a way to use it manually with my own video tag which is defined in the html template?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  39. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Video was one of the things that's still being worked on. I'll have to think about how you might be able to use your own video element. In Unity, if you make a Video texture with a URL source, as you would with WebGL, then behind the scenes it's creating a Video element because that's the only way to get video on the web.
    JS_WebGPU_ImportExternalTexture takes a video element that was created that way, and creates a WebGPU texture for it. This is used internally and not designed for public use.

40. Seto

Seto

@brendanduncan_u3d Hi. Here's some screenshot of my personal hobby project. I use it to show live broadcasting. So it's not a simple URL source. It is able to implement this in WebGL. I would like to test it with WebGPU.
    upload_2023-7-26_1-46-21.png
    upload_2023-7-26_1-48-44.png
    upload_2023-7-26_1-49-3.png

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
  41. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

Absolutely @Seto, feel free to slack or email me any time.

42. Seto

Seto

Hi @brendanduncan_u3d , is there any update on the support of arbitrary video tag?
    I'm encountering memory copy performance issue in Unity WebGL. I can see frame drop when the video count is over 5. But it's ok for 5 or less. The fps is 20 or below.
    upload_2023-8-12_12-54-46.png
    The lack of the support of arbitrary video tag blocking me migrating my project to it. And also, I did some pre research with native WebGPU and my video. I can see that my video is able to hit the 0-copy path. It may improve the performance of project.
    upload_2023-8-12_12-11-48.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    LooperVFX likes this.
  43. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

@brendanduncan_u3d thanks for having kept us informed about these developments. exciting times!

one question is regarding the longstanding misnomer of Unity's "WebGL" platform. as you know, WebGL is just a graphics API, not the entire platform of the "Web" that includes WebAssembly and many other standards and protocols. as WebGPU comes into play as a new optional graphics API for the Web platform, do you have any word that a platform rename is being considered?

Selecting WebGL as the platform and then selecting WebGPU (explicitly or implicitly) as the graphics API would be akin to have named the entire Windows platform "DirectX11" and then selecting DirectX12 as the graphics API. It's a user experience / flow and cultural language nightmare. There's even a fair amount of confusion in this very thread about platform vs graphics API, and we can't blame anyone for it in this context ;)

So, this seems like the perfect time to reconcile this and reduce confusion and frustration for future generations. ( multiple render pipelines are confusing enough in the Unity onboarding process, and the Web is an extremely attractive platform across all industries that will attract many new and returning developers. )

thanks for all your work and the team's

icauroboros and De-Panther like this.
  44. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

It is mentioned in the thread they are renaming it.

LooperVFX and De-Panther like this.
  45. LooperVFX

LooperVFX

aha, thank you. :) it i missed that and this as well as which confirms that there are internal discussions about a rename.
    at the very least i hope my earlier post may provide some talking points for these discussions.

46. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@landonth WebGL as a platform name is one of those things I find incredibly irritating, like scratching porcelain irritating. There was a reason for it before, when the "web platform" used to be the browser plugin and not the WASM build we have today. But the browser plugin is long gone, and renaming the "WebGL Platform" back to the "Web Platform" can't come soon enough for me. The platform team is doing a slow and careful job prepping for the name change, it's out of my control to just search/replace the string :).

47. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@Seto We haven't been able to investigate video further yet. I'll try to take some time today to look into options for you. I pinged you on the slack channel, where I had missed your previous post.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  48. so3450

so3450

Hello, When will the next version be added? Will the next version of webgpu be officially released?

49. brendanduncan_u3d

brendanduncan_u3d

Unity Technologies

@so3450 We're working on pushing the next set of updates "soon" (testing and PR merge queues keeps that from being a definite answer). I'm not in control of when Unity will "officially" release WebGPU, but we will continue to regularly push updates, work with browser vendors for improvements, and work to make WebGPU great. There is no desire to have it be in eternal "experimental" status, but all I can say is we're working hard on it.

50. icauroboros

icauroboros