Search Unity

Feedback How about folders for the Hierarchy that don't link things together like GameObjects?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TiggyFairy, Feb 18, 2022.

1. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

Don't know if this is the right place, but I feel like there's room for purely organisational folders in this as things get quite messy as you build and linking things with GameObjects creates problems with layers & tags etc. To distinguish this, maybe they could occupy the dark grey strip on the far left of the screen?

Vryken likes this.
  2. Vryken

Vryken

I agree.

I know the general consensus is to just use an empty GameObject to act as a "folder" for hierarchical organization, but I personally don't like doing that.

GameObjects come with their own collection of data such as layers, tags, static flags, & components that aren't relevant for a folder to visually organise the editor hierarchy.
    This unused data is included in the standalone application, whereas a folder should only need to exist in the editor.

3. TiggyFairy

TiggyFairy

It can also make for some weird parent/child problems with raycasting and things like that. Like the raycast gets the parent object because it has the same tags etc.