Search Unity

Feedback How about a progress bar for downloading packages?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by dgoyette, May 13, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

Currently, installing a package causes a little spinner to spin while the package is downloaded. Usually this is a pretty quick process. But occasionally, packages can be very large. The Burst package, for example, is enormous, at over 500 MB. Whenever I update this package, I only see a spinner going for a while, and eventually I start to think something went wrong, and that Unity has locked up. In fact, it's just downloading a very large package.

Could we get a progress bar for the download, or just some numbers showing N/M bytes downloaded?

bdovaz and nicolasgramlich like this.
  2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out :) I've spoken to the team for you who are actively looking into trying to achieve this but have no news as of yet. They'll be sure to let the community know if this changes.

Mauri and dgoyette like this.
  3. InnoLuke

InnoLuke

Absolutely second this suggestion - the current UI is incredibly confusing. The spinner is tiny, and it shows in the same row as the top package - which when downloading from git, has nothing to do with the actual package being loaded. More than once have I thought Unity was just being unresponsive.

4. Wandersoul

Wandersoul

Its been a couple years, any update on the state of this request? I'm sitting in a hotel room guessing if my download is going slow or if the firewall nixed it. All I got is this little spinner.