Search Unity

Hoverboard VR - New Tech Demo (WiiBB, Kinect v2, LeapMotion mashup)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by KingOfSnake, Sep 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingOfSnake

KingOfSnake

To get the most immersive experience possible with the current hardware available I have upgraded my earlier Hoverboard VR Experience in my spare time.

Just in time for Marty McFly's return :p

I used the WiiBalanceWalker v0.4 library from Richard Perry to use the Wii Balance Board as an input controller. I am working on a library to get the raw data with socket connection into Unity3D (unfortunately not stable enough yet...)

For the skeleton tracking I used the Unity3D Kinect v2 library from Rumen Filkov as a base to track the players body and translate it to VR. There is some noticable latency (around 40ms I would guess) but it really enhances presence (for me :)

Via an IK script I mapped the Leap Motion tracking data to the Unity3D mecanimn character.
    Latency is less noticable than the Kinect tracking. When your hands are in line of sight I fall back to a "default" hand state.

Big thanks goes to Weval for the awesome soundtrack Gimme Some
    And my colleagues Jeroen van der Horst and Maurits Heukensfeldt from Quince for helping me out with the creation of the video.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. acolgan

acolgan

Wow, awesome!

3. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Very cool idea. Also, the Kinect v2 has an official Unity package - did you try that as well to see if it has better latency?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.