Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoverboard Model/Physics

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tpelham42, Sep 20, 2013.

1. tpelham42

tpelham42

Hello all,

Just wanted to showcase what I've been working on this week. In our virtual world project we're adding a new vehicle we've nicknamed B.O.B.B. (Battery Operated Buoyancy Board). We wanted a fun and functional hoverboard and these are the results so far.

Here is a screenshot of the board and texture.

Here is a video showing the hover physics.

I managed to cobble together the hover physics using the videos linked below as a foundation. I was struggling to get some stable hover physics initially and these videos helped out a great deal. Once I had a stable foundation I tweaked the numbers until I had something a little more fun and added in some additional effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYpwvtc0Fk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZ0BE7s9zA

We hope to release B.O.B.B. in to the wild next week.

2. Juka

Juka

Wow, looks really great. I like.

3. tpelham42

tpelham42

Thanks!

Since we recorded the above video we've also added in some new abilities for the hover board such as having a speed boost which rockets the board up over 150 mph for a brief period which has made it a lot of fun doing jumps. We're currently looking to have the new vehicle in game on Monday. Thanks again for the feedback.

4. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Not that this technology is actually physically possible at this scale, but going with the assumption that it is:

The board would need to be able to twist in the middle in order for the player to effectively turn.

Leaning would cause extremely slow turning due to the drag on the player's body as they move forward or backward, as well as significant "strafing". If they aren't moving, they won't turn at all, they'll just strafe.

In real life, riders would probably need to angle the feet in opposite directions in order to redirect the thrust coming out from below each foot - causing the player to spin. Technically, they'd also need to reverse the angles at the end of a turn, in order to stop their nearly frictionless spin; being only for a short burst though, it's probably a subtle enough thing that I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't there.

5. jonny250

jonny250

Hoverboards are modern self-balancing electric scooter which can ride very fast and also very much enjoyable vehicle for kids and teens. Flyboards are also latest hoverboard technology. According to the research of Hover Picks, modern hoverboards are built with the latest technology and also safer than other hoverboards. Many kids get injured while riding on it due to lack of proper training. You must get the right training from an expert.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. hoverboard_lover

hoverboard_lover

The expanded selection of hoverboard has seen the requirement for improvements in hovering and self-balancing technology. From client safety, self-balancing, and improved battery life to more customization, there has been a call for changes to a great extent to the performance of hoverboards. Because of these requirements, an improvement in self-balancing technology was made on the hoverboard. Click here to get further information.