Search Unity

Hover Vehicle Game (WIP)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by dagbud, Jun 2, 2010.

1. dagbud

dagbud

I am working on a fast paced hover vehicle action battle game. I have been working to get the movement and feel for the player tank down. This is my first foray into modeling any kind of physically based movement.

I am looking for some feedback on what I have so far. Please try the webplayer and give me your thoughts or suggestions.

Use the wasd keys to move the little guy around. Thanks a bunch.

2. angel_m

angel_m

Good start. I would add a slight bobbing movement to the ship so when it is not running it also shows a floating effect.

3. Ben2560

Ben2560

Some damping?
    As in when im going super fast dont make it drop like a 1million ton elephant falling off the empire state building.

But this is really amazing and fun :D

4. 7loop7

7loop7

I guess you mean when it jump?
    I feel like the vehicle is atracted to the ground by an extreme force, more than gravity. I didnt like that.

everything else was cool.

5. dagbud

dagbud

The vehicle is being pulled back to the hovering height. The original version didn't have this attraction force, but when moving at high speeds, the vehicle leaped from the ground and turned into a flying vehicle more so than hovering.

I will lessen the force pulling the vehicle down when midair and post the results. This is great feedback.

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Tank? I see no tanks around, only a small spaceship :D

7. dagbud

dagbud

The "tank" is an alien tank. Not a very good one though. :oops:

8. Vert

Vert

WOW! :eek: It played just as I expected it too! Very nice! Very professional, solid feel about it. I can't wait to see more! :D

9. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

The controls actually feel pretty good to me. I too would suggest a little bobbing when standing still. Also, a slight bank when moving left or right and a slight pitch when moving forward or backward would give a nice effect.

I look forward to seeing more. :)

10. BrettFromLA

BrettFromLA

Very cool! Nice smooth movement! When you create assets to interact with (enemies, pickups, monoliths buildings to slalom around) it's going to be a whole lot of fun!

I did fall off the edge of the world. If you want invisible walls, I wrote some code you can use: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=52338 . (Shameless self-promotion, I know. :D )

11. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Awesome! Will there be racing, too, or just blowing each other up?

Keep up the great work!

12. dagbud

dagbud

The webplayer has been updated. I added a slight bobbing, banking, and softened up the jumps to where it won't be so hard when coming down.

I never thought of including a racing component. It could be rather interesting. :D

I'm Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.

13. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

I really like it! The banking makes a big difference - it has a nice feel to it.

It might be cool to bank the camera some, too. Could give a nice fluidity to the movement in a Wipeout kind of a way.

Nice work :)

14. BrettFromLA

BrettFromLA

You've got a great "smooth follow" script. I like how the ship (tank) gets farther away and closer to the camera. Any chance you'll post that code? :D

15. dagbud

dagbud

I am using the smooth follow camera script that comes with Unity.

16. BrettFromLA

BrettFromLA

I guess I didn't know it gave such great results! My team has developed a few different ones, so it's been a long time since I used Unity's default.

Again, very cool demo!

17. spiralgear

spiralgear

The controls are very nice. It is very easy to steer accurately. I think this would lend itself well to a vehicle combat game.

But I also agree about the force pulling you back to hover height being to noticeable, it makes it impossible to use geometry like a ramp. Also, I think you should be able to turn a little faster.

How did you accomplish the hovering? Is it a raycast?

18. dagbud

dagbud

I was struggling with just how to get the hovering working just right. I really didn't have a clear picture of what exactly I wanted.

The hovering action is using a raycast. I have a gameobject attached to the ship for each point I want a thruster at. Currently I have 4 thrusters. In the script on each thruster, I get the hovering height at each point, then calculate my hovering force taking into account the height above ground and damping for a bouncy floaty action.

I am still trying to tweak things to get the feel just right. What if you had the ability to actively switch "ground hug" hovering on and off during the game? It could lead to some interesting gameplay. Or maybe use some type of falloff function so you could fly if you hit the jump just right. Some things to try out..

I am also trying to figure out how I can get the turning to be faster.

19. newbrand

newbrand

Apart from the already mentioned ground hogging thingie I really liked the handling of the hover-tank. To me it seems this behaviour was designed with the occasional small bumper in mind and not to look good when using Mt. Everest as a ramp, as it gets more awkward the higher it gets. Maybe you can take the steepness of the terrain into the formula somehow. Personally I'd also love to see the vehicle pitch a lot more when it's high in the air and burry it's nose in the ground if the impact is too heavy. Oh, and I can park on even the steepest slope :~)

20. Ben2560

Ben2560

Much better now :D
    No more 7billion ton elephant falling on a super high gravity planet anymore XD.

Keep up the good work :p

21. mikesgames

mikesgames

I like it!

well done there!

22. DukeOfDesmo

DukeOfDesmo

I'm working on something similar, a bit more wipeout / racing style though. This is a really good start! I like the way it acts over terrain, there's loads of resources on these forums for this kind of thing so it shouldn't be too hard to get help if you need it.

23. MaltusIronSword

MaltusIronSword

feels like a Go'Ald death glider.

24. zelk

zelk

Great start. I think that the steering is a little bit too static. When turning left and right, the rotational acceleration seems to be constant. I think it would feel better if it was softer. Hope you understand how I mean.

25. dagbud

dagbud

Your are right about the stiffness. Still need to tweak it. Thanks for the comments.