Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

House interior and exterior design

Discussion in 'World Building' started by avijitpalit95, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avijitpalit95

avijitpalit95

Hi all, I am new in unity5. How to create a building with exterior and interior at the same time. When i import a sample blender house model and import it to unity, interior of the house become transparent. What is the best workflow to create a house with exterior and interior. I want to create a simple village with 3 or 4 house and all of them capable of going into them and outside of them.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Shani_T8 and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  3. avijitpalit95

avijitpalit95

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

The general modeling method is the same for blender/pb/maya/anything :)

Whether you make parts separate, all one, etc, that's something you'll have to experiment with and decide based on how the game will be seen and played.

5. avijitpalit95

avijitpalit95

You are right but just let me know the pipeline or workflow for architecture creation.

6. chatrat12

chatrat12

There are lots of workflows for architecture authoring. The video Gabriel posted if a pretty simple workflow. You can follow that workflow in blender. Only difference is that once you are done, you need to export your model as an fbx to get it into Unity. If you have more specific questions, I'm happy to help.

7. avijitpalit95

avijitpalit95

Plz tell me best workflow of architecture building. I use to solidify modifier in blender. I works except inside the room sunray leaking. Should I use model exterior and interior using differnt mesh?

8. chatrat12

chatrat12

I wish I could be more helpful in terms of helping you find a work flow. I think most people create their own that fits their needs. If you're stuggling with modeling, keep following tutorials.

It's hard to be useful on such a broad topic. It's easier to help solve specific problems.

You mentioned you have light leaking. This may be helpful:
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/925812/unity-5-real-time-lights-cast-shadows-with-gaps-li.html

Gabriel also touches on the subject in one of his tutorials:

If you need modeling help with blender, I would hit up the blender forums.

9. chatrat12

chatrat12

As far as splitting up your mesh, that's completely up to you, whatever makes it easier to work with and gives you the desired results. There really is no right answer, there are many valid approaches. Good luck :)

10. avijitpalit95

avijitpalit95

Then what is the pipeline of architecture modeling?

11. chatrat12

chatrat12

There is no one pipeline. There are hundreds if not thousand of ways to author buildings. Keep an eye out for what other people are doing and try to adapt it into your workflow. It'll take a lot of trial and error. Push it as far as you can and when you get stuck, reach out for help.

Kurt-Dekker and gabrielw_unity like this.
  12. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This is a fantastic tutorial video @gabrielw_unity, especially the side trips into details on cleaning up, raising the window insets above geometry cuts, etc. Great stuff all around.

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  13. Cubesinterior

Cubesinterior

I think you have to complete exterior first. Your best bet is to separate interior and exterior in order to that you can hide the exterior when you are inside the house.

gabrielw_unity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.