Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Hounds of Valor- (Playable Demo) Dog based character action!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Greg-Wark, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Greg-Wark

Greg-Wark

I have been working for 3+ years on this passion project of mine. I love dogs and action games so decided to blend them together!

You play as Max, a valiant dog who has been trained to fight the monsters that threaten this world. It is an action game with combos, secondary weapons, special attacks and a developing story as you explore and protect the world. One of my main inspirations is Okami, but the combat plays more akin to my other favorite ps2 game, God of War.

You can download the current demo on Itch.io here!
    https://dogatworkgames.itch.io/houndsofvalor

This is my first public demo of the game. I've been showing Hounds of Valor at the Ohio based GDEX conference and game dev meetups. So if you have the time please give it a go! I love animal-based games and really wish there were more out there.

I have been a bit of a lone wolf, doing the art, animation, and code for the game on my own. I started more recently with a composer for music and an animation contractor who did the "drop off" intro animation to the level. More help may be needed in the future.

What I am looking for from you in terms of feedback
    I would call this a verticle slice, with the graphics, combat and level design I intended to refine and expand upon. Any feedback is welcome as I continue to work on the project. I have made a google form to report any issues if you wanted to use that to report issues.
    • I have been testing it on my laptop and only a few other machines so please report any bad performance, graphical oddities ect so I can make sure it's working across as many platforms as possible. Please include specs.
    • I get a steady 60fps 1080p on an Intel i7-6700HQ cpu and a Geforce GTX 1060 gpu.
    • I have noticed some frame drops and am in the process of cleaning those up. They seem to have to do with the exploder system I am using to destroy enemies/objects + some garbage collection issues.
    • How does the game feel? Responsiveness is a key goal for me and I am working to fix any outlying issues with movement, combat, dodging, ect to make things feel as fluid and fun as possible.
    • Overall impressions of this first part of the level? Were the controls and mechanics clear? Was the world interesting? Just about any thought that came to mind that you want to see more/less of.
    • There are a few sound effects missing currently. Like when hitting one of the shielded enemies, enemy steps and a few attacks that don't have sounds yet. Also missing boss music, gotta have boss music! I am hoping to get these in soon when my composer is free.
    Thanks for checking out Hounds and let me know what you think!

The Doggy cast!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    eaque, AskCarol and karl_jones like this.
  2. AskCarol

AskCarol

Best doggie cast :)

Greg-Wark likes this.
  3. Greg-Wark

Greg-Wark