Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HOTween: a fast and powerful Unity tween engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Demigiant, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Demigiant

Demigiant

What you mean that they can't be completed or stopped? If you call mySequence.Complete() or mySequence.Pause() nothing happens? Mhmm if that's the case, it's very strange, and it never happened before (I use the Complete and Pause methods a lot in my projects). Could you post an example Unity project (or package) that replicates this issue, so I can see what's wrong?

2. Madgeniy

Madgeniy

So, I rewrited tween without Sequence and now this warning appears
    Code (csharp):
    1. HOTween : PlugVector3 is overwriting PlugVector3 for Target (UnityEngine.Transform).position

3. Demigiant

Demigiant

Madgeniy that warning is ok and not an error: it just tells you that you have more than one tween animating the same property at the same time, and as such one will overwrite the other.

From the code you posted previously, I'd say it happens because you're tweening both "m_previewer.transform" and "m_previewer.m_cameraCarousel.transform", and both refer to the same transform (or something like that)?

4. Bowie-Xu

Bowie-Xu

Thanks for replying lzitmee, looking forward your new release :)

5. Demigiant

Demigiant

NEW FEATURES update! HOTween v1.1.722

- Added straight/linear path movement, to complement movement on curved paths. There's now an optional PathType parameter (PathType.Linear, PathType.Curved) when setting a PlugVector3Path method, which allows to calculate the path as linear segments between waypoints instead than as smooth curves (default is curves, as before, so nothing changes in your existing projects).
    - Optimized all path logics, so that tweening an object's localPosition while also moving its parent will re-adapt the path correctly.
    - Fixed bug when calling GetPointOnPath from a Tweener (Bowie Xu, this fixes your issue).

As usual, you can find the latest version on HOTween's website, and soon on the Asset Store.

Ok, now on with the Visual Editor modifications that Breno was asking for ;)

6. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

Super cool. Or, just: RULEZ. ^_^

7. Demigiant

Demigiant

Grazie Alberto ^_^

8. Bowie-Xu

Bowie-Xu

Cool!! Good job and thank you! :D

9. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks Bowie Xu :)

Though! Attention everybody! The knightly Baroni found a bug in the straight path movement tween (duration and last waypoint are calculated incorrectly, when not using partial paths). I already fixed it, but am waiting for a review before updating it. Sorry for that.

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

New HOTween update: v1.1.724

- fixes the straight path movement bug I mentioned above :)

As usual, latest version is on the website, and soon on the Asset Store.

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi SL-Paul,

you are tweening a transform.right property, which does nothing. I suppose instead you want to tween a transform.position property.

12. Bradamante

Bradamante

I tried tweening a material color like that (page 12 of this thread) .. and it gives me this error:

HOTween : "Smoke1 (UnityEngine.Transform).color" is missing, static, or not public. The tween for this property will not be created.

My code is:

Code (csharp):
    2. Tweener biggerOut = HOTween.To(tf, dur, new TweenParms()
    3.     .Prop("color", Color.clear)
    I also tried
    Code (csharp):
    2.     .Prop("_Color", new PlugSetColor(Color.clear))
    to no avail. Is HOTween recognizing the "color" parameter wrong an loading the Transform plugin? Can't be?

This:

Code (csharp):
    2. Tweener biggerOut = HOTween.To(this, dur, new TweenParms()
    3.     .Prop("transform.localScale", endScale)
    4.     .Prop("renderer.material.color", endColor)
    also doesn't work:

HOTween : "Smoke1 (BiggerFadeOut).transform.localScale" is missing, static, or not public. The tween for this property will not be created.
    HOTween : "Smoke1 (BiggerFadeOut).renderer.material.color" is missing, static, or not public. The tween for this property will not be created.

Weird.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  13. Demigiant

Demigiant

As HOTween's log is correctly reporting, you're trying to tween a property that doesn't exist. Transforms don't have a color property.

The property name parameter of a tween needs to contain only the name of that property, not the "path" to it. If you want to tween a renderer.material.color property, then renderer.material will be the target of the tween and color the property to tween, like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Tweener biggerOut = HOTween.To(renderer.material, dur, "color", endColor);
    Which also means that you can tween multiple properties in a single tween only if they belong to the same target (if target is a Transform, you can tween both localScale and position etc., but if you also want to tween a renderer.material.color you'll have to create a separate tween)

14. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

Hi Iztimee (RULEZ), I'm not sure but maybe I found a bug - or it's just me and all my beers.

I have this scene with different tweens that are active (position, color etc) and 1 sequence that was created BUT not played yet - it need a special event to start and has autoKillOnComplete = false because I need to reuse it.
    I also have a pause Btn that stops my game (show a pause menu etc..) and pause my Tweens with
    Code (csharp):
    1. HOTween.Pause();
    The point is that when I press the resume btn all the paused tweens started again tks to:
    Code (csharp):
    1. HOTween.Play();
    but also the sequence, that should not.

Is there something like
    Code (csharp):
    1. mySeq.autoPlay = false;
    that can prevent this? Can't find it on the docs.
    Of course I could create the tween just when it's time to use it and not in Start() of my MonoBehaviour, but I prefer my way - ehi, if THIS is the solution no more question, I promise.

(btw I do not drink any alcohol so it's sure your fault. :p or maybe it's time to donate -_^ )

15. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ahaha, hi mrKaizen :)

In the documentation, whenever you read "tween" instead than Tweener or Sequence, it means that it refers to both. That's because I didn't want to have separate commands for each, since it's way more useful to be able to control everything at the same time, with methods like Play/Pause/etc.

Anyway, I prefer to create all my tweens at startup too, so it surely can be done. What I do, is assign an ID to each Tweener/Sequence (using TweenParms().IntId if it's a Tweener, or SequenceParms().IntId if it's a Sequence), so I can divide them by groups. For example, all my gameplay animations have the IntId 1, so I can play/pause them all using:
    Code (csharp):
    2. // Pause
    3. HOTween.Pause(1);
    4. // Play
    5. HOTween.Play(1);
    While my GUI animations have an ID of 0, so I can do the same by using that one.

In short words, all HOTween's static methods have various overloads that accept different types of parameters. Using them without any parameter will affect every Tweenr/Sequence, while with parameters you can instead affect only tweens by Id, IntId, target, or directly by the given Sequence or Tweener.

Otherwise, there is also another simpler solution, which doesn't involve IDs at all. Each Sequence/Tweener has an enabled property that can be set. If you set
    Code (csharp):
    2. mySequence.enabled = false;
    Any HOTween.Play/Pause/etc call will ignore it :) Consider though that you'll have to reset enabled = true before playing it, otherwise it won't be updated.

P.S. Tano mi dice di dirti che devi giocare di più a galeone oscillante, anche se non ho idea di cosa significhi :D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  16. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

Holy cow ^_^ , I never thought about it.. and also I didn't notice the paragraph:
    "The same ID can be applied to multiple Tweeners and Sequences, thus allowing for grouped operations (all HOTween static controls can filter operations per ID)."

Btw, very clever, I like it. And use it. -_^
    tks.

ahaha ^_^ vero, il Galeone Oscillante™ è una super Figata Top Secret (ma forse hai visto l'app ultra beta da Tano..), e pure fatta in Hotween ^_^ ma tano è un pazzo :D

17. goy

goy

Hello Izitmee!

I just began using some tweening in my project and at first I was using iTween,
    but there was way too many overhead data and gameobject-oriented constraints.

So I found your solution and was happy to find out, that there is even the possibility of sequences.

But then the shock came after a while, when I found out that if SpeedBased the easetype will have no effect. :eek:
    Now I'm asking you. Is there a way that this will be implemented in a not so far future? :)

I need to sequence some waypoints, where some paths need different easetypes...

18. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello goy! :)

I don't plan to implement easing in speedBased tweens, because that would make no sense (though I'm open to suggestions of the contrary), since speedBased tweens rely on precise units of movement x second.

But maybe you're just getting confused by my using the term "constant speed" for path movement? "Constant speed" and "speed based" mean two different things, and you can definitely animate along waypoint paths while using easetypes: just don't use the SpeedBased option :)

19. goy

goy

Maybe I am confused and I hope you could clear things up for me. :)

As the documentation says, the second parameter is the duration. Meaning the time it needs to complete the whole given path.
    HOTween.To(target, duration, parameters)

Am I correct?

And if I want my object to move at a constant speed of let's say 15 km/h, I just set speed based to true and the easetype linear, right?
    But still I want to let this object have different accelations modes on the path, with the beginning speed I once set.

Maybe I overlook something, I'm still new to this tweening and maybe I'm mixing up some things from itween ;P

20. Demigiant

Demigiant

Mhmm I see what you mean about speed based easing. Added it to the "things to do" on Google Code, and I'll see if I can implement it :)

P.S. you're correct about everything you said

21. hexdump

hexdump

Hi!,

I would like to do a little rotation effect where a sprites rotates in a springy way (sorry if this is not the correct term). My sprite will start with 0 rotation, when tween kicks in it will go for example to -60 then to +50 then to -40 then to +30 until it reaches its rest rotation (starting) 0.

I think it can be seen as a bounce easy int easy out without moving. But this does not work :/ if I configure the tween this way.

Is there any possibility to to get this with hotween?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  22. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi hexdump,

you can't create tweens that have identical start and end values, as you saw. What I'd suggest, is to make a Sequence made up of two Tweeners. The first Tweener will quicklly tween from 0 to -60. The second one instead will tween from 60 to 0, but using a Unity AnimationCurve for easing. That way, you can manually set over-the-top (and under-the-bottom) anchors in the AnimationCurve graph, so that when used it will achieve the springy result you want :)

23. hexdump

hexdump

Thanks a lot for the insights. Gonna try it as soon as I get home.

P.D. Sorry for this izitmee but I'm a bit lost here. I have been trying to apply a curve as a ease without luck. The docs state about a property in Tweener called easeAnimationCurve, but it seems not to exist :/. I have seen the auto generated class from the assembly you inlcude with hotween and could not find it either.

On the other hand would you mind pointing me to an example or something to accomplish what I commented? Don't really know how the curve should be, etc... By the way I have seen animation curves are a deprecated subject in unity documentation :?.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  24. xXPekoXx

xXPekoXx

Hi there,

First thanks Izitmee for you great script
    I have just one little question :

Does it possible to call Tweens of the HOTween Visual Editor from script.
    Like on "press enter" call tween number 1,for exemple.

I try to make an interactive narrative sequence witch could be done so fast with the HOTween Visual Editor.

Thanks in advance

25. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi morte_couille,

sure. Via the Visual Editor, you can give your tween an ID and set autoplay to false/off (and autokill to false also, in case you'll need to re-use the tween). Then, via code, to play it you can simply call:
    Code (csharp):
    2. HOTween.Play("myTweenId");
    @hexdump: sorry for being late, but I suppose you edited your comment after I read it, so I initially didn't see your PD. From what I know, Mechanim wants to completely replace the previous animation system in the future. As of now though, there's nothing simiilar to AnimationCurves so I suppose they were deprecated a little too early. For an example, I'll do it later today and then post a link :)

26. Demigiant

Demigiant

@hexdump: here you go. The last example shows how to apply AnimationCurves as easing, and also contains a "springing back" cube :)

27. hexdump

hexdump

Thanks a lot mate. Really apreciate it.

28. xXPekoXx

xXPekoXx

Thanks a lot man
    you tween engine is just Awesome!!!

29. xXPekoXx

xXPekoXx

Do there is some way to organize the Tween in the visual editor.

Bcz now i am up to make a kind of narrative sequence, with lots of tween.
    and i am going to make few of them

It would be nice if i can keep them in order

One more time thanks for this plug
    it's so easy to use

Cheers;

Attached Files:

30. Demigiant

Demigiant

They are actually organized in descending order by target name, though I see that with your target names it doesn't work and I should make it better :p

Anyway, I have to make some modifications to implement the suggestions/features from MaDDoX, and I will also see that I implement a drag behaviour, so you can organize them as you prefer :) Only problem, I'm superbusy in these days, and I really don't know when I'll be able to update it. Hopefully within the week, but I can't guarantee that.

31. xXPekoXx

xXPekoXx

organize them by "Id" could also be nice to do, so in a way you still have acces to the order :)

Anyway That's alright take your time :)
    still i can use the scripting way if it's get to messy

I attach some screen shot of the game i am making.
    $98d785084f4211e2851922000a9e084f_7.jpg $ee65a89c4f6511e28f2522000a9f148e_7.jpg $e0a422c64f0911e2971f22000a1f8c25_7.jpg

i make it on the fly
    so easy with HOTween

Cheers,

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  32. Demigiant

Demigiant

I really like the red-haired guy in the middle: great pixelart :)

I agree with what you said, and will implement a drag behavior, plus a button to organize by name, plus a button to organize them by ID :)

33. xXPekoXx

xXPekoXx

thanks man :p

great i look forward your update :)
    thanks again

34. jeffweber

jeffweber

So far I'm liking HOTween! Great job!

What is the preferred means of having text slide out to a certain position, pause for a few seconds, then slide back. I want this to run only once.

Can this be done with a single tween or should I use a sequence. Sample code would be great.

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks jeffweber :)

Since the pause is at the end, you definitely need a Sequence. Best way would be to simply create the Sequence with a yoyo loop, and set the total loops to 2, so after it's finished it will automatically kill itself (hope it's correct: I'm in a rush to complete a game for midnight, so I have no time to check this code in Unity). Consider that the final pause will elapse twice (once when playing forward, and once when playing backwards), so if you want a total pause of 4 seconds, you'll have to set it to 2.
    Code (csharp):
    2. // Create Sequence and add a single rewind loop
    3. Sequence mySeq = new Sequence(new SequenceParms()
    4.     .Loops(2, LoopType.Yoyo)
    5. );
    6. // Add the "move to" tween
    7. mySeq.Append(HOTween.To(myTextInstanceTransform, 2, "position", new Vector3(0, 0, 0)));
    8. // Add a pause at the end
    9. mySeq.AppendInterval(2);
    10. // Play (sequences, contrary to Tweeners, don't play automatically
    11. mySeq.Play();

36. jeffweber

jeffweber

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I actually ended up with this:

Code (csharp):
    2. public class OutAndBackTweener : MonoBehaviour {
    4.     public Vector3 MoveToPosition;
    5.     public float tweenDuration;
    6.     public float startDelay;
    7.     public float pauseDelay;
    9.     void OnEnable(){
    10.         HOTween.To(this.gameObject.transform,tweenDuration, new TweenParms().Prop("localPosition",MoveToPosition,true).Delay(startDelay).OnComplete(HandleTweenCallback)); 
    11.     }
    13.     private void HandleTweenCallback()
    14.     {
    15.         HOTween.To(this.gameObject.transform,tweenDuration, new TweenParms().Prop("localPosition",-MoveToPosition,false).Delay(pauseDelay));   
    16.     }
    17. }
    Your's is probably a bit nicer so I'll go with that.

37. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Obviously I want to eventually convince Daniele to add a visual sequence creator, but first he's gotta finish his contract work ofc ;)

38. Demigiant

Demigiant

A visual sequence creator! :O But there's Animator for that ;)

39. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

Buondì Izitmee ^_^
    I have a problem with a sequence.
    I have 4 for sprites (from NGUI, gameobject with more parameters...) with alpha = 0 that I need to show many times, with a tween from alpha = 1.
    The code for any of them is:
    Code (csharp):
    1. HOTween.From(hit_1, .6f,"alpha", 1);
    and it works perfectly, but of course I like to make a sequence with a Restart that I can call when needed.
    The problem is that if I use my sequence:

Code (csharp):
    1. tweenHit = new Sequence(new SequenceParms().AutoKill(false));
    2.     tweenHit.Insert(0, HOTween.From(hit_1, .6f,"alpha", 1));
    3.     tweenHit.Insert(0, HOTween.From(hit_2, .6f,"alpha", 1));
    4.     tweenHit.Insert(0, HOTween.From(hit_3, .6f,"alpha", 1));
    5.     tweenHit.Insert(0, HOTween.From(hit_4, .6f,"alpha", 1));
    the alpha values don't remain 0 but are 1 just right on the creation, on OnStart as you wrote on the docs:
    I tried to pause the single hotweens, the sequence, my brother, my car, Gaetano, everything... nothing works. What am I doing wrong? Tks for your precious time. ^_^

40. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi mrKaizen! ^_^

my bad for a confusing documentation in that part. For Tweeners that piece of documentation is right, but Sequences actually have to call OnStart the moment they're created (to set up everything). What you could do, to have them stay at the "end" of the Sequence until you restart them, could simply be to add a:
    Code (csharp):
    2. tweenHit.Complete();
    right after creating the From Sequence :) And then when you want to play it from the beginning you just go with a
    Code (csharp):
    2. tweenHit.Restart();

41. kebrus

kebrus

I'm having difficulties understanding how the overwrite manager works, i have a sprite with a tween that animates it's color each time i hit it, the animation takes a bit of time and i want to be able to restart from the beginning everytime i hit it, so i created a tween that goes from on color to another but it only starts again if i let this animation end...

what am i doing wrong, shouldn't i be able to replace the existing tween by calling it again with overwrite manager ON?

42. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hi keburs. I'm not sure if I understood correctly what you're trying to achieve, so correct me if I'm wrong. From what I got, you are talking about a single tween that restarts under certain conditions. The overwrite manager has no influence on single tweens. It jumps in action only if you start a tween of the same property (and which uses the same plugin), while another tween of the same property (and with the same plugin) is already playing.

43. Demigiant

Demigiant

News about the new Visual Editor features!

I apologize if I'm being late, but after finishing that contest a miscellaneous mess of real life issues fell on me, so I won't have time for new features until next week. Sorry for that!

44. mrKaizen

mrKaizen

Best trick ever. ^_^ Tks.

45. kebrus

kebrus

yeah, i think you did understand my problem, so what would be the best way to restart a running tween? i actually managed to do it by keeping a reference and complete the tween every time i want to restart the tween, but this is to be used kinda like a particle system so keeping references for every effect seems overkill to me, i just need to apply a tween independently of whatever tweens might be playing

thank you

46. Demigiant

Demigiant

If you want to create a new tween each time, you have to consider that a tween takes it start value from the current value of the tweened property. So you should: 1) reset the property to the correct starting value, 2) create the new tween

47. zalogic

zalogic

I just simply love the way HOTween is built and how fast it performs!

But I have to point out that if it would also a have timeline based editor like in Flash (see Animator tool for Unity) which would allow a more unified Animation handling way and a better visual representation of tweens on a timeline, then this would absolutely take the cake! It would rule the animation frameworks available on the Unity Asset store.
    And that visual tool could also be a payed version and I would definitely be interested in it.

The Animator tool had this potential when the developer said he will integrate HOTween at the core of his editor, but it seems that he dropped the ball for some time now.

What do you think Izitmee? Any possibility or future plans for something like this? O:)

48. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thanks a lot floky :)

I actually thought about doing a Flash-like timeline editor for Unity, but then Animator came out and I was happy to give up :D

I don't plan to do something like that very soon. First of all, because I'd like to see what happens with Animator. I noticed too that the thread has no "official" posts since a month or so, but maybe it's temporary and absameen will come back. Even if that doesn't happen, creating something like that would require a lot of work, and I'd prefer to first release HOTween V2 (which is still in the "just made some tests for new API and performance" state, and is a looong way to go), and then eventually start thinking about a timeline system.

49. zalogic

zalogic

Roger that! It's still great news that you are still alive and kicking my friend. HOTween can really be a legend in tweening frameworks.
    If Animator falls apart, I'm also taking in consideration of doing an editor like this but I'm also waiting to see what happens with the Animator. Anyway if I will do it I will first notify you.

Keep up the brilliant work my friend! I will continue to support you as much as I can. (financially speaking) ;)
    I've also spread some word to other people to support this framework.

50. Demigiant

Demigiant

Ah! Thanks a big lot floky! From your words I suppose I know who you are now :)

In case Animator falls apart and you decide to do a Flash-like animation timeline - which would be awesome - and want to implement HOTween let me know if you might need additional features. In these days I'm super-messily-busy, but it won't last forever, I hope.

P.S. I don't know if I mentioned that already, but I'm almost a neighbor, since I live more than half year in Serbia (though you couldn't be more far from the Serbian border :D)