Search Unity

Hosting Unity builds via Docker on Synology NAS

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Zante, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Zante

Zante

Hi all,

I'm looking at hosting a local unet server on my NAS, for testing purposes.

I intend to use docker as I don't want an entire VM OS environment running if I don't have to.

I'm looking for the path of least resistance and wondered if anyone had experience with this?

I'm not sure where to start.

2. Zante

Zante

Ok, so I've done the next best thing which is to host a command line verison of Windows server 2019 as a VM (it uses up barely any CPU power on my NAS).

I'm using the task scheduler to load the UNET server on startup. I've come through countless errors to get to this point but now I'm stuck - any thoughts?

EDIT: FIXED - The two dll files I needed to add to the root of the build directory (otherwise it wouldn't even attempt to start) were as follows:
    1. glu32.dll
    2. opengl32.dll
    The issue was that, despite the names being the same, there are 64bit and 32bit versions of the same files in windows. I copied the 32bit versions initially and it was throwing the original error shown below. Now that the 64bit versions are in (copied via wow64 directory in windows from another machine), it works.

My Synology NAS is now running a dedicated UNET server from inside a viable VM windows environment : ]

upload_2019-11-15_17-47-59.png

Contents of the bat file are as follows:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EmotionEngineServer.exe -batchmode -nographics

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Last I checked, Windows builds still try to grab the GPU even if the command line options tell it not to use it. Might have changed if they got the headless build option in for Windows recently. Why not just make a headless Linux build? That's the typical approach.

4. Zante

Zante

I'm just more familiar with the Windows environment and one of the issues I'm always contending with is how much time I spend as a sysadmin versus being a game developer. ;]

I fixed the issue however, see original post for edit.