Search Unity

Hosting plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joacoerazo_legacy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Jessy

Jessy

A quick Googling did provide some quotes from several people who were having my problem. Can any of you provide me with some links to a Dreamhost-powered site that uses one of their shared hosting plans?

One from which I can download a large enough file to monitor its download progress, that is.

Later...

Okay, I just don't get this. I gave it another go, and was able to get transfers from Dreamhost that were just under 600 KBps each. After a couple minutes, this dropped severely, and now I can't get more than 16 KBbps. To make sure it wasn't my ISP, I went to another site and got a few 400-500 KBps streams going. This is really irritating.

2. bliprob

bliprob

3. Jessy

Jessy

I'm getting 21-22 KB/sec., tops, myself. :?

4. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

I'm only getting 20-30kb/s on that file here.

5. Jessy

Jessy

6. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

I'm getting about 220-300kb/s on that file

7. bliprob

bliprob

I got that file at about 300 KB/sec (10/14/07 9:50 PM EST).

8. Jessy

Jessy

Is each of your maximum bandwidths over 300 KB/sec.? That rate isn't bad, but it's not as good as what I was getting earlier before it took a dive.

I use this test:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

9. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

I got about 300kb/s on those test's which sounds about right from here :)

10. cblarsen

cblarsen

If you are getting lousy connection speeds to/from a particular site, try opening a terminal and typing
    Code (csharp):
    1. traceroute nameofthesite.com
    This will give you some example connection speeds all the way across the internet from your ip-address to the target.
    If some of these readings are above 200ms, there is a risk that packets may be dropped due to timeouts. This will affect overall connection speeds and if it is _all_ packets that exhibit this behaviour, it will break the connection completely.

What I am saying is that bad connection speeds are not only a question of the speed of the host but also of your "internet distance" to that host, and the current "internet weather" I have occasionally had problems contacting dreamhost, but in my case the problem usually turned out to be that packets took too long to cross the Atlantic (or even the Danish border in some cases)

11. Jessy

Jessy

Dreamhost recommended this action to me, and because of how bad it was, they switched my site to another apache instance. I have no idea what that means, but it may have helped. This morning, I was getting around 600 KB/sec. from each of these links (apparently, the max for a single transfer via my ISP). We'll see how this develops.

Thanks for the information.

12. mynameis9

mynameis9

Has anyone tried A Small Orange?

http://www.asmallorange.com/

I've heard nothing but great opinions, especially regaridng their customer service. However I'm wondering how well the speed and features compare to other hosts.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yes, they are currently hosting one of my websites. I haven't had any problems with them, they have good communication and after sales support. I don't think their pricing is particularly competitive, but otherwise I'm happy.

I also have a site hosted with 11.com and regret it. I'll probably move that site to ASO eventually.

14. nm8shun

nm8shun

Jessy....are you still getting good transfer rates from Dreamhost? I changed from Modhosts to Dreamhost also, and all the site I host there have become much slower than they were on Modhost.

Plus every week or so there is at least one instance of not being able to connect to any of the sites I host there.

I'm hoping if switching the apache instance fixed your problem; they could do it for me.

15. Jessy

Jessy

I am getting several simultaneous transfers of about 420 KB/sec. right now. I am assuming that presently, there is not enough shared bandwidth to allow for my max download speed for a single file (seems to be around 600 KB/sec.), but I think that is still quite reasonable. I really think this switching did help out a lot. It's not always this good, but it's always better than it was.

Please visit the two links on page 4 and let us know how you did with those. I am getting similarly better results from the TubeSock link now as well.

What scares me is: if other people are getting bad results from my site, and I am not, will they think my site is terrible unless THEY have something switched as well? I never heard of Apache until this happened, and don't have much of an understanding of it at present.