Search Unity

Hosting plans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joacoerazo_legacy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi to all,

Please guide me on affordable hosting plans for unity games (Web based and downloables). Hosting sites that offer no problem with the unity files or, at least, sites that has proven no problems using unity content.

Thank you in advance

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Dreamhost.

3. Willem

Willem

I'll second DreamHost. Great place to work with (www.dreamhost.com) and very reliable.

4. MatthewW

MatthewW

Use a coupon if you go with Dreamhost. You can buy a year of hosting for something like $2.50/month.

And files are files--there isn't really such a thing as compatibility with Unity web files.

5. StarManta

StarManta

I don't know if my experience is different, but GoDaddy breaks my Web players. (My hunch is that it thinks they're HTML and is trying to inject ads into them. AFAICT their paid service doesn't seem to be affected.)

6. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you to all for these quick response!!!

Dreamhost looks very good. How the coupons work? I saw $7.95/month (two years), where/how do you get the $2.50/month?

Thank you in advance

7. MatthewW

MatthewW

8. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you Matthew!!!!

thats will be the choice, I think.

9. Lallander

Lallander

You really won't regret going with Dreamhost. I know a S***ton if thats a unit of measurement *shrug of people that use them.

10. nickavv

nickavv

11. milkytreat

milkytreat

dreamhost all the way, ive been with them for 3 years with 8 websites

12. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Darn! I sure wish you guys had started this thread about a month ago. I just renewed with 11 and then learned they doubled my monthly fee... argh... :evil:

13. milkytreat

milkytreat

well every now and then dreamhost runs a campaign where you get a year of hosting for free, and all you pay for is the domain (which is how i got hooked) so $9.95 for the year :D
    cant go wrong with that!

14. Lallander

Lallander

^^^^^

Truth.

15. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you to all, dreamhost is my choice.

16. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I used web hosting buzz. Wasn't a bad service and they are realy cheap. But I got a dreamhost acount a month or so ago and am working on moving everything over to it. Dreamhost is a dream, you won't regret the choice to go with them :). Jeff

17. Bampf

Bampf

I've been following this discussion with interest, and dreamhost's introductory price is very tempting. The full price isn't bad either. My needs are not extreme, and I won't even be selling anything from my website for the time being, so the occasional website downtime doesn't freak me out.

Having said that, Dreamhost seems to have had some significant outages lately. Some bad luck, some growing pains certainly, plus a DOS attack. But some of their customers are complaining about lost emails. That to me is cause for alarm.

Is anyone who posted here about dreamhost having second thoughts this week? Has your email been 99.9% reliable? I was hoping to use them to host my website and handle my domain's email, so that I wouldn't be tied down to my ISP.

18. milkytreat

milkytreat

the dns went down the other day for an hour and a half, right when i was expecting an email, but i still received the email's

I havent lost any data with dreamhost - ever.

the worst with email is when i turned spamassassin and it caught some of my email in the junk folder, so i didnt see it until i did some fishing.

if you ever have problems you can always go into #dreamhost on irc.freenode.net and there is always someone who can help you and go fix it for you.

Infact i had one time where i was complaining, they looked at my irc info, checked their website access logs and found my site and fixed it before i even finished complaining.

19. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I've used Dreamhost exclusively for four years now and have yet to regret a single moment.

20. podperson

podperson

How's the performance? I use two hosts -- pair.com and godaddy.com (and I'm paid up for a long time in advance on both) but dreamhost sounds good (certainly a good replacement for godaddy, which I think kind of sucks).

That said, low prices have to come from somewhere.

godaddy.com is way cheaper than pair.com, but there's no way I'd move my main site to godaddy.com -- it is often slow and occasionally down. I can't remember pair.com going down (I think it has once in five years that I've noticed) and it's always pretty responsive.

I also get tech support within minutes from pair -- even if it's my own dumb fault (which it usually is).

Frankly, if your website makes you money (every software sale from my main site is a minimum $150) there's no point in saving a few bucks a month.

21. nickavv

nickavv

I guess I'm on Dreamhost now, although I don't have to deal with any of the administrative stuff other than FTP. It seems to be up all the time, which is nice.

22. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I use Godaddy for domain regsitration, never anything else. Dreamhost has about 20 of my sites, as well as my wife's business stuff and dozens of my high-end programmer co-workers (and we work in a fibre-connected data centre). Highly recommend them.

23. podperson

podperson

Good enough for me... Oh well, now to wait for my godaddy credit to run out ;-)

pair.com is awesome ... but it's not cheap.

24. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Here is the host that I am going with for my Arcade plans, as they have unlimited bandwidth.

I used them before for a project and they seemed to do pretty well. Here is the link from CGChannel.

http://www.sherweb.com/cghosting/

25. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

And 1 GB is realy going to hack it for this Arcade you are planing? Jeff

26. podperson

podperson

There's no such thing as "unlimited bandwidth".

In fact it's actually bad for you because if someone on your shared server gets slashdotted/digged/redditted then your site goes down. If they REALLY have unlimited bandwidth, it may never come back up (the main effect of limiting bandwidth is that in cases like that the offending page/site is turned off).

Oh and the site is targeted at graphic artists, who do things like post 400MB showreels in HD on their page and link them on cgtalk (which also gets them slashdotted...)

27. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Do you really want a response or is that sarcasm?

Why do I deserve your sarcasm for recommending a host?

28. podperson

podperson

I don't think you deserve sarscasm and -- assuming you work to keep the files small, I'd think 1GB would be *plenty*.

After all -- big files => more bandwidth => slower load times.

Unless you're a prodigy, filling up 1GB with games (or user data) is going to be a far bigger problem than running out of space. If and when you have that problem, hosting costs will be irrelevant.

29. hsparra

hsparra

From my dealings with Jeff, I don't think he meant for it to come across to anyone as mean. I always found him helpful and supportive.

30. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Sorry if that came across wrong. I'm an artist working in the fields of web, and film and now getting into games so in my experiences 1GB of space is incredibly small. It never crossed my mind that asking that question would be rude or seem like sarcasm. I never meant it to come across that way and I'm sorry anyone felt wronged by it.

As far as space is concerned its always nice to have more. Maybe the arcade won't need a whole gig (but maybe it could). Also with more space you could have backups of all the project folders for each game. Also in my experience the more space they offer the more bandwidth they offer.

I also never believe that something is unlimited, its more just that they figure you won't get close to the actual limit so they advertise it as unlimited. For example my old web host boasted unlimited email addresses and other things. Anything that was promoted as unlimited really meant 999.

31. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

After doing some more research on hosting, I think I am finally gonna order my hosting today.

But I am thinking of using a different host than I previously mentioned.

Do you guys have any opinions on using Media Temple? I was looking at their grid service hosting($20) a month http://www.mediatemple.net/webhosting/gs/

All I hear is good things about their hosting, has anyone heard anything bad?

Thanks for all opinions.

32. Lallander

Lallander

I've never heard anything at all, which in my opinion is worse in some cases then a bad review.

33. zumwalt

zumwalt

34. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Dreamhost!!!!

35. Lallander

Lallander

^^^^ 12thd or whatever it's up to at this point.

36. Foxxis

Foxxis

How about Hostgator? A friend recommends them, but I'm not sure. I'd rather not move my hosting and have to do it all over again in a few months...

Regarding Dreamhost - does anyone have experience with large ammounts of traffic with Dreamhost (or other hosts)? Do the servers handle it? Does it get very expensive?

TIA! :)
    Dan

37. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I host my websites (aras-p.info and nesnausk.org) at Dreamhost. So far no problems at all (it's only been over a month though).

They total at about 400 MB/day, so I can't really answer the "high amount of traffic" question. However, I'd think servers are more sensitive to load (i.e. server side stuff running) than just pumping out bytes.

38. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Widget Monkeys in various forms moves something between 40 and 70 GB of traffic each month and never a hiccup. Highly recommend Dreamhost. Almost 600,000 widgets downloaded and massive numbers of website visitors ... no problem. Plus all my personal and freelance sites are there too, as are my wife's. I love Dreamhost.

39. Foxxis

Foxxis

How about outages? I've heard Dreamhost has had various problems with server/net downtime? I'm planning on moving client sites as well as using the new host for my soon-to-be-finished game, so I am really sensitive regarding uptime...

40. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Well, hosting something critical on any shared hosting is possibly a bad idea... you have to get a dedicated server at least.

My impression with Dreamhost outages is that from time to time a couple of their servers goes down for a couple of hours. Given that they have a huge number of servers, that is just bound to happen. Not sure if their downtime exceeds the "industry average" or not though.

41. Foxxis

Foxxis

Which plan are you on if I may ask? Have you had to upgrade due to the traffic/visitor count?

42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The cheapest plan they have gives much more than that amount of bandwidth (IIRC, 2 TB/month).

43. Foxxis

Foxxis

Yeah, I know. However, AFAIK a site can hit the wall much earlier than the transfer/storage limits imply. Most sites - especially ecommerce sites - will tend to max out your CPU share on a shared server (long before you hit transfer limits), causing warnings and/or suspensions.
    The 2TB/month (or whatever) is pretty theoretical, or at least that's what I'm told by colleagues who've hosted more popular sites.

44. MatthewW

MatthewW

Dreamhost recently had 3 days of outage for many of their servers. Generally speaking they tend to have some nasty gaps in uptimes on random servers. You always get what you pay for...

45. Foxxis

Foxxis

Yeah, I browsed their forums and checked the status website. Wasn't that encouraged about what I found.

I think I'll be going with Hostgator for the new sites and see what happens. The sites won't be that sensitive for a while. The interesting part comes when/if my first marketing wave is successful... :)

46. Foxxis

Foxxis

BTW - regarding uptimes, I use http://mon.itor.us/ to keep my eyes on the sites important to my business. A really great way to see if there are performance problems. Recommended!

47. Jessy

Jessy

I signed up with Dreamhost due, in large part, to the glowing reviews I found here. However, the download speeds I am getting from my site/FTP are HORRIBLE. It tops out around 28 KB/sec. That's less than HALF of my already bad (but standard via Roadrunner, which sucks) upload bandwidth.

So Dreamhost can GET files from me at over 80KBps. I have a download bandwidth of over 1.6 MBps. Who cares how many exabytes of bandwidth I have if it is completely impossible to use them? :x

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced host that provides great transfer speeds?

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Strange...I've never heard anyone complain about download speeds from my Dreamhost site. Maybe they were having temporary problems or something.

--Eric

49. bliprob

bliprob

Weird, I get fantastic download speeds from dreamhost. They only have one datacenter and it's in LA, so if you've got lousy routes to one wilshire, that may explain things.

By the way I do like dreamhost but I'm considering a swtich to Mosso: http://www.mosso.com/

50. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Really weird, I have never had any problem with downloading via ftp.

unityunity