Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Horror Game Idea / Need Feedback!!!

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by doncsoo, Sep 30, 2018.

1. doncsoo

doncsoo

Hey guys!
    As I was a long time fan of the horror genre, I was always thinking of ways of creating a unique experience trying to be original as possible.
    Recently I came up with this idea, what if I insert a horror game within a horror game? I thought it was an interesting idea, and I started exploring it. The player would have the play and progress in a virtual horror game inserted into the game while paying attention to the surrounding happenings. So for example while the player is hiding in the virtual horror game, she also have to take notice of "real" world sounds, ambiance, and movements to know about the coming of a possible foe. About the plot, the player will somehow be related to the virtual horror game by a past bad experience, and might be experiencing hallucinations both in the real and the virtual world. I started prototyping with the game recently.
    What do you think? Is it a dumb or a good idea? What would you change or add to the game?

eatsleepindie likes this.
  2. RobertFitzgibbon

RobertFitzgibbon

I think Resident Evil 7 has a similar concept. I just finished the game and throughout it you put video tapes in a vcr, and you essentially 'play' the video tapes. This is how you get many hints to the actual story.

3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Great idea.

Where's the prototype? Gameplay videos? Getting some friends to play your game will be the most useful feedback.

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Hey. Your idea sounds nice.
    And the story for it, sounds scary too.

5. doncsoo

doncsoo

In RE7 the tapes act as flashbacks to expand on the story. Concerning my game, while I might hide story hints in the virtual world, the virtual world is a game in itself, not a flashback. It has similarities, but not exactly the same.

6. RobertFitzgibbon

RobertFitzgibbon

I get what you're saying and it is a very interesting concept!

7. Serinx

Serinx

This kind of sounds like "Welcome to the Game"
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/485380/Welcome_to_the_Game/

Except in Welcome to the Game you're delving into the deep web and surviving against psychopaths and FBI that turn up at your door.

I think this idea would be great if done well, but you'd essentially be making 2 interlinked games which would be a lot of work.

I'd love to see a scene at some point where you walk into a room and see someone sitting at a computer, you turn around "IRL" and see a creature standing where the player in the game was, just staring at you... ugh, I just creeped myself out.

8. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

I think I've seen a game(or games maybe) like that, in VR/Rift, where you are inside a living room playing a console horror game then whatever happen in the game reflected into the room...

9. Martin_H

Martin_H

10. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I think this could be incredibly immersive. I may be off on my understanding of what you're describing, but I'm picturing a game where the area surrounding the in-game character adds to the stress since they must constantly pull back from the in-game-game to deal with the characters surroundings, and then when things are clear they can have the character continue their progression. Am I close?

So many things come to mind that make me want to play this, like wondering whether the horrifying sound I just heard was from the character's surroundings or from the character's character's surroundings in the in-game-game.

And now my brain is scrambled...