Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.5%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.1%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

43.1%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

31.4%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.8%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

12.3%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

15.6%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hopeful

hopeful

Wasn't it explained later in the thread?

I think he just got too busy with the release of the game he's been working on, so it was put off.

2. GhulamJewel

GhulamJewel

Thinking of purchasing this and combining it with a moon terrain asset on the store so it would look larger than it is but looking through the manual it seems to cover the example terrain only so looks confusing and things you may not need in other terrains. Is there a step by step general guide how to set it up?

3. VIZERRA-Team

VIZERRA-Team

Good day,

Can you help us please, is it possible to use horizon[on] object
    shader and backed lightmaps ?
    If backed ligthmaps usage not suggested with this shader, is it
    possible to fix?

4. eaque

eaque

Hi, @Becoming How can i access the Ambient DIffuse Intensity value thru script?
    Thanks in advance

5. eaque

eaque

HI,
    Can someone give me @Becoming email?

Please need some help...:(

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

I sent him a pm on Feb 19, 2018. Unity usually sends these as email. I didn't get a reply. I'm hesitating, but I think about reconsidering my review, the support is just awful. He's not even replying on the forum. I can't recommend this asset anymore.

7. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

His last activity on the Unity forums dates from Feb 27, 2018. Don't have his email though, but as he is very busy with the DRONE game I'll suggest to try contact@dronethegame.com asking for Peter.

eaque likes this.
  8. eaque

eaque

Many thanks ! Don't really want to bother them on the Drone email..:p
    but that's a good option! ;)

9. maxaud

maxaud

Yeah, I’m currently at a standstill on my environment until I hear back. Luckily I have plenty to do elsewhere but cannot test properly on my device until PS4 shader support is available again.

10. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

Someone please let me to know.
    How do I move the Horizon[ON] terrain on the runtime?
    I turned off the static check and moved the transform. But the terrain wavy.

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Don't. There's obviously no support anymore. There's no excuse for not replying. I'm thinking for a month now if I should waste my time and fix it myself or if he already fixed it and just didn't update the asset. Did he even read what I wrote? Even if he were too busy with his game or whatever he could simply drop by and say he's too busy. Obviously you're left on your own with this asset now. I just changed my review, I can't recommend this anymore.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

On the asset page you can get his support email. I assume he's responding to that. peter[at]becoming[dot]at

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

You mean whatever I post in this forum or send him as a PM is ignored?

14. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Well, since he wasn't seen here since February, I guess he hasn't read your posts since then. I don't like either that some asset creators disappear just like that from their forums, but well, if you have a pressing issue, it worth a try to drop him an email regardless.

15. eaque

eaque

Did you try the Drone Email too? Someone adviced me to try that!

;)

16. wolfen231

wolfen231

A month is hardly abandonment. However, I can agree it's frustrating. Just look at the author for Dungeon Architect. He disappears for months then re-appears with new things and a bunch of support responses.

If the websites or emails on the asset page though are down it would concern me.

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

Nope. And I won't try every email address, website, forum, discord or whatever there is in order to not get a reply. Either he supports his asset or he doesn't. Apparently he doesn't.

18. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Or ... he just doesn't get notified by the Unity forums. Happens to me as well, the notification of this forums are really crappy. (not making any excuse though)

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

I really don't see any point anymore in finding excuses for his absolute lack of support. Gotta try and fix it myself now.

20. emmcd3

emmcd3

I have 4 very large terrains (2048 L & W) parented to an EGO. I'm going to have difficulties with this configuration, aren't I? I'm hoping because I think Horizon [ON] was exactly what I was looking for...

21. hopeful

hopeful

Keep in mind that an older technique for having a horizon is to have a very large low res mesh / terrain lying slightly beneath your high res one. This way, any camera on your high res terrain looking off sees what amounts to a smooth blending of the two, provided of course that your terrain details line up, and provided you're not letting the camera move all the way to the edge of the high res terrain.

You may not necessarily need Horizon[ON], though it works in a similar way (residing slightly underneath your smaller, more detailed terrain).

22. emmcd3

emmcd3

Yes, you have a very valid point here. Are you familiar with any assets or techniques to accomplisd? I was tossing around the idea of using World Composer for suitable real world background and then tailoring the detail terrain to it. What do you think?

23. hopeful

hopeful

It's as easy as it sounds, so whatever sounds like it should work probably will. There are posts about this technique from probably about 2014-2015 in World Composer or Terrain Composer threads, and possibly elsewhere.

Horizon[ON] basically puts the cherry on top of this idea, with a solution for trees, water, repeating tiles out to the visible edge, and so on.

24. emmcd3

emmcd3

Got it..thanks

25. wwg

wwg

There is an option to use world space. Check that option to stop the "wavy" when the horizon moves. Then write a script to move the horizon object with your camera/player/etc.

26. Ken_kido

Ken_kido

Shader errors now appear when building.
    Sometimes the build may succeed
    I attached error log file.
    Is there a solution?

Unity 5.6.5 f1

Attached Files:

27. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

Yes, I understand.
    What I wanted to say was, "it only works in the editor. It didn't work at runtime exe."
    I looked at the HorizonMaster.cs and found the cause.

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR // <-OMG!
    2.         void Update(){
    3.             if (hSetLockMask){
    4.                 foreach (Material m in hMats) {
    5.                     if (m != null){
    6.                         if (m.HasProperty ("_Anchor")) { if (hSetLockMask) m.SetVector ("_Anchor", new Vector4(transform.localPosition.x, 0, transform.localPosition.z, 1)); else m.SetVector ("_Anchor", new Vector4(0,0,0,0)); }
    7.                     }
    8.                 }
    9.             }
    10.         }

28. eaque

eaque

...Decided to visit the forum after a little break and still no response AT ALL from the author since fébruary....That's sad.

:(:(:(

29. topofsteel

topofsteel

It is strange. Even when the asset was first released this was only useful for posting balloon popping scores.

30. eaque

eaque

sad because the tool can do great things but the lack of tutorials and examples is disapointing! all thru those years, always the same demo scene recreated on youtube is far from enough. Not even one tuto on GIMP wich is free instead of photoshop..
    It seems those guys are so talented that they think it will be obvious for everyone.
    I really like it i wonder why there is no other solution on the store ?? for such a common problem in games....Background.!:(

31. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there,
    I had seen this asset before many times but never actually watched any of the videos, I finally did and I had to say, this looks fantastic. I am rather interested in how or if this might work with WorldStreamer? If you are unfamiliar, it async loads and unloads your games world around you have you move about. I am making a fairly large RPG and it definitely makes a humungous impact on performance. Currently, I only use Unity terrain in the players fairly immediate vicinity along with vegetation Studio and soon to be Cascade as soon as the multi-terrain update comes out. The terrain then becomes low poly mesh as a LOD for any sort of distances. While it works really well for what I am doing, it certainly does not allow for such awesome looking backdrop as your asset.

I was wondering if you had any info if your asset might be able to work in my situation, as technically the terrain isn't statically place being that it will load and unload depending on where you are, and in the video it seems like things might have had to be pretty well and solidly planted in place.

32. pixel_maniacs

pixel_maniacs

Hey there any Idea why the detailed colormap is not working on a Playstation build? Seems like the shader/playstation does not support this kind of layering

33. MostHated

MostHated

Kind of sad to see that there was no reply to my question after nearly 2 weeks.

eaque likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

Did you read just a bit above to see there's been no response from the author in this thread since February?

You should try using the support email for this plugin.

35. eaque

eaque

2 weeks is nothing! :D i asked march 8th, over 2 months....
    I must say that i'm starting regretting buying this asset! Fortunately i had it on sale time ago! I'm glad i didn't pay the full price !

36. MostHated

MostHated

Luckily I didn't buy the asset yet, while even though I really like what it does, I am not looking to buy an asset that would play a large role in my game that is unsupported. Does anyone know if there are any others similar to this that are available?

37. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's buggy, outdated and unsupported, obviously. I'll never buy anything again that comes from these D.R.O.N.E. guys. The TerrainComposer 2 guy did the same, cut everything off in February, haven't been active ever since from what I've seen. Doesn't even care about negative reviews anymore.

38. MostHated

MostHated

That's a shame, I bought that Mesh Combiner asset, have not even used it yet. Hope it still works when I get around to it. Probably not. : /

39. hopeful

hopeful

There isn't another plugin similar to this, but you can do a fair bit on your own in an old school way. There's a more complete example given in the old Terrain Composer (1) thread, but basically you prepare a smallish but high res terrain and at least one low res terrain that is much larger (covers map area greater than that of the smaller map). Then you suspend the high res one very slightly above the low res one. Since the high res version matches the low res one exactly, when a camera positioned in relation to the high res terrain looks out toward the horizon, it will see the low res terrain cleanly merge with the high res one.

40. Rowlan

Rowlan

Question is if it's needed anymore once Unity comes up with their new terrain solution. It's still a secret what they do.

41. SteveBC

SteveBC

For everybody who still might experience the issue where Horizon[ON] won't display correctly on PS4:

The error lies in line 558 in _horizON_Core.cginc. There's an ambiguous lerp function that uses a float and a float3, which causes Unity to not compile the shader correctly on playstation. The fix is to replace the float with a float3 in the call.

Open the file, and replace line 558 with the following two lines of code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float3 fZero = float3(0.0,0.0,0.0);
    2. float3 specColor = lerp(fZero, max(fZero, _WaterSpecGloss.rgb), waterAmount);
    That should do it!

JBR-games, hopeful, maxaud and 2 others like this.
  42. eaque

eaque

thanks for that!! fortunately the community is helpful!

btw, do you know how to access horizon values like "intensity" from script? don't wanna mess up the files...
    thx in advance

43. eaque

eaque

How can i access the Ambient DIffuse Intensity value thru script?

thanks in advance

44. maxaud

maxaud

Thanks! I did get some assitance on the DevNet forums but nothing specific to this asset. Much appreciated.

SteveBC likes this.
  45. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use Horizon[ON] so the tiling parameter in a layer section will only affect the tiling of the colormap, and won't move/scale the displacement at the same time.

Judging from the example scene, what I want to achieve seems to require using the "bake displacement into meshes" tool. The problem is, when I use this tool, it doesn't do the trick: playing with the tiling values in the "layer 1 settings" section (I have been working with only one layer so far) still scales the displacement. And the displacement settings section is still available in the Horizon[ON] master object.

There is obvisouly something I am misunderstanding. Can someone help? :)

46. eaque

eaque

Welcome to horizon hidden workflow! Displacement is made out of the fusion of the normal maps if i'm right!
    Check the displacement texture with red tint.

Are u trying to change the mesh displacement? Then good luck it needs to use a tool like photoshop or else to merge all your normals....If i don't make mistake.

So, you will keep this mesh shape as long a s you keep the texture. Try some others you will see....

Officially 3 months to get a reply from the author.....At least Unity should lower the price to 10bucks. THis asset has great capacities but needs some third party asset. Without that, it's hard to use...

47. transat

transat

Does anyone know if Horizon[ON] works with 2018.1?

48. Rowlan

Rowlan

I just checked for you. The example scene looks like this in Unity 2018.1.4f1:

h.jpg

Does this answer your question? If not, then the answer is: No, it doesn't work properly. And support for it has been dropped. Don't buy it.

49. hopeful

hopeful

Seems fine to me. Possibly there is a feature that isn't working, but I didn't notice in a cursory run-through.

Using 2018.1.6f1 ... the latest version of Unity.

Update: I tested it to see if it would build, and the demo scene builds with no trouble.

Horizon2018.1.6f1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    JBR-games and transat like this.
  50. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's a low res screenshot with everything covered in white. Try pressing one of the 4 arrow buttons to the left and it'll look like mine. And none of the bugs reported since february have been fixed since the dev decided obviously to not care anymore.

unityunity