Search Unity

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.8%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.3%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

32.1%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.0%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.3%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Becoming

Becoming

The mountains are made with Worldmachine, the meshes are optimized with zBrush's Decimation Master, the textures and maps are made in Photoshop with help of the masks generated in Worldmachine. I'd love to have enough time to help you on this but i fear this is a bit too much to ask for. You will have to learn more about general modelling & texturing if you want to recreate/modify the included mountain models and you are unsure how. I can guide you if you have more specific questions though.

2. Becoming

Becoming

Glad you figured it out :) Also nice to see some screens of other people's work from time to time :) I'd suggest you brighten the fog a bit(color picking the skybox where the blue turns to the horizon gives good fog colors).

3. Becoming

Becoming

I'd suggest you look into normal map generation tools, the one i always come back to is xNormal. If you are really serious about environment art you might want to purchase a copy of world machine, this in combination with Horizon[ON] and Terrain/World Composer & RTP can do wonders and allows to get away from the generic look we see so often in unity.

4. Becoming

Becoming

That is strange, do you have multiple directional light in your scene? If so you might want to make sure you have only the main direct light affecting Horizon[ON] using layers.

5. Becoming

Becoming

You are right i assumed that the fix seams method is only called via the Bake Displacement button. I will include a check in the next update. I am wondering though, did you call the method manually from script and for what reason?

6. eaque

eaque

thx for the info!

7. Tony-JIANG

Tony-JIANG

Hi, Peter

I sent you an Email (peter@becoming.at) on Thu 1/4/2018. Would you please reply it?

Thanks!

8. jnbbender

jnbbender

I'm not sure how dumb a question this is but here it goes...can Horzion[ON] be used to create an "endless runner" style 3D game. From the tutorial videos, it appears not but then again I wonder in what capacity was it used in the game D.R.O.N.E. ?

9. Becoming

Becoming

replied ;)

10. Becoming

Becoming

You can move Horizon[ON] meshes and the displacement will stay in place, this is pretty much a perfect solution for endless runners. the main thing you need to take care about is to move the meshes with snapping considering the vertex distance... if you are moderately experienced with scripting you should not have problems doing this.

11. username132323232

username132323232

Hello. Can Horizon[ON] be used with multiple active cameras (each mapped to its own display)? Thanks.

12. username132323232

username132323232

I'm trying to work through the "Getting Started" tutorial. Page 3 states:

==========
    Now we need to add a sky to the scene, In the Folder Horizon[ON]/_Example Scene/Skydome you can find a prefab called „Skydome“. Drop it into the hierarchy and make sure its position is 0 ,0 ,0.

UPDATE TEXT:
    In Horizon[ON] 1.2 and above the skydome prefab has been removed, you can use Unity‘s default skybox.
    ==========

Does that mean that the skybox to be used is Unity's "Default-Skybox"? If so, how exactly do I drop it into the hierarchy?

13. username132323232

username132323232

Also regrading the "Getting Started" tutorial: do you have hi-res screenshots? Not sure why, but the screenshots in my version are pretty blurry. Thanks!

14. jfran227

jfran227

how do i change the textures for the horizon[on]? like the grass textures and that

15. SimLoop

SimLoop

Trying to follow your "Getting Started" directions and I've run into an issue. When I tried to add the Horizon[ON] / Horizon[ON] Elements / Transitions / Transition Terrain, it came in at an angle. I'm using 2017.3.of3.
    See attached image.

Attached Files:

16. SimLoop

SimLoop

I've tried this now on two separate machines with the same result.

17. SimLoop

SimLoop

Never mind...I've figured it out.

18. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Becoming ,

Would be great if you wrote an extension for Gaia for this Asset? Could you?

19. Becoming

Becoming

Hey :)
    I am glad you were able to solve it, I am curious though, what was going wrong there? Never happened to me.

hopeful likes this.
  20. Becoming

Becoming

I don't see what you would like this extension to do, Gaia and Horizon[ON] are pretty much independent from each other but should work just fine together, like any terrain shader.

one_one likes this.
  21. Becoming

Becoming

22. jfran227

jfran227

I am not new to unity, I just want to know what material I put my textures on.

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Becoming Is it possible to have fog affect the trees? Currently the trees stick out if you use fog. Looks like this:

trees-fog.jpg

Looks awesome though without fog imo, so I really would like this to work :) Any ideas?

trees-fog-02.jpg

24. Becoming

Becoming

You do it on the Horizon[ON] Master component, the parent prefab that holds all the children which can have different materials, this way is recommended as it makes sure that materials don't go out of sync with different settings. It's explained in the manual.

25. Becoming

Becoming

It is definitely possible and should work both with unity's fog(Lighting tab) and Horizon[ON]'s height based fog, maybe it's something that broke with a unity update, i'll have to check. Can you give me some details? Unity version, Rendering Path, Color Space, Platform...

26. username132323232

username132323232

@Becoming I'm trying to work through the "Getting Started" tutorial. Page 3 states:

==========
    Now we need to add a sky to the scene, In the Folder Horizon[ON]/_Example Scene/Skydome you can find a prefab called „Skydome“. Drop it into the hierarchy and make sure its position is 0 ,0 ,0.

UPDATE TEXT:
    In Horizon[ON] 1.2 and above the skydome prefab has been removed, you can use Unity‘s default skybox.
    ==========

Does that mean that the skybox to be used is Unity's "Default-Skybox"? If so, how exactly do I drop it into the hierarchy?

27. Rowlan

Rowlan

Unity 2017.3.0p1, Deferred, Linear, Win10

I tried with Horizon alone, it gets all kinds of weird. Then my trees looked like this:

horizon-01.jpg

I left the terrain blank to distinguish it better from the Horizon gameobjects.

I did notice though that the tree previews themselves had these colors. Checking out the tree shader and toying with OverlayFogAmount made the trees green again.

After that I checked your tree shader of my original scene and noticed that the OverlayFogAmount of my scene was in fact 0. I toyed around with the Overlay* settings of Horizon[ON]/Horizon[ON] Tree Cutout ( side-note: please, would it be possible to remove the [ON] everywhere, it's really annoying :) ) and then I started approaching a solution:

drago.jpg

It's as if something doesn't get refreshed properly.

28. maxaud

maxaud

I was getting shader errors preventing me from compiling for PS4. I sent you a message with these.

29. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

Hello, I want to scroll the Horizon[ON] terrains for rail-shooter game.
    Could I scroll on current version?
    I tried check 'local space' and move Master's transform.
    It run on Editor. But terrain waves on build.

30. maxaud

maxaud

Those clouds and buildings are pretty awesome, I would to get them as an addon.

31. creat327

creat327

Serious bug. Using Unity 2018.1b9 right now, it seems the shader is messed up. The transition sky doesn't display and on the device it displays as pink. I'm building for Android Open GL 2.0.
    There is no error on console, no idea what has changed but right now it doesn't work :(

32. eaque

eaque

Hi Peter,
    sorry if this is dumb question, but i can't understand how to get some relief on the displacement start...it's almost flat, if i tweak the height scale the meshj is quite edgy with a lot of noise though i would like to create relief from the normal map i have...How does that work ?Is it connected with the height map?

How can i create a heightmap? I have TC1 and 2 ...

THanks in advance
    good luck with D.R.O.N.E

33. eaque

eaque

..and could it be possible to have an exemple from scratch that's not the demo?...if you find time..of course
    so many things are hard to understand cause we start from an exemple where everything is connected so it's hard to tell what's possible...I mean for a noob like me:p
    thx!
    :)

34. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Becoming If it's not a secret, would you mind telling how you created those mountains? They are not enough for me and I need to create my own, especially with different textures.

35. maxaud

maxaud

This video gave me a pretty good understanding of it:

eaque likes this.
  36. eaque

eaque

swaping the textures was not enough for you? gave me good results....:)

37. eaque

eaque

many thx, i watched it too but i'm too stupid to understand the whole thing...:p
    Do you know how to create the heighmat ARGB for displacement?

38. eaque

eaque

@Becoming btw many thanks for the decorative mountains!!:):):)

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

Swap with what? They are all in one big psd file.

40. eaque

eaque

Forgive me if 'im wrong but ...just click on the mountain or check the prefab itself. There is a shader called Horizon Mountains develop it if i remember well. YOu have a lot of textures to swap....Put none in the global color map..then change the others....

41. Rowlan

Rowlan

There's only 1 albedo and 1 splat map. The rest is just textures, i. e. variations of the same. And then there's the occasional unusal uglyness like the pike in the middle:

peak.jpg

42. rstorm000

rstorm000

Hi I'm wondering if this tool would be good for our game. One of our scenes is surrounded by a ~10km terrain that is covered in trees and is supposed to look like a jungle or mountainous rain forest:
    Some of the terrain is pretty close and a lot far away. I ran the demo you made on my mac and wasn't getting the best framerate where as I can often get 60 with this (with some dips). Were there lots of effects on in the demo that may have been affecting that?

Also we use deferred rendering. Thanks for any help!

43. eaque

eaque

TO me...you're the perfect case! you could use it out of the box !! i don't know how to use it..but let's be honnest, it's fast as speed of light for what it does. I don't even see the difference with all options on in my scene; 8km/8km. Far plane at 70000 maybe...perofrmance is not an issue. you have a mobile prefab in case the platform is low end device...

in your case, i would use one layer (or two) activating water and then painting trees (it's really easy). In 10mn you can get some so called AAA results you can not imagine.

My case is a desert so it's different...:p;):)

if you really need to see far in your game, i recommand

cheers

44. eaque

eaque

btw if anyone has ever done a desert with it, creating from scratch textures and so on...
    ANY help would be appreciated....i'm stuck...:(

45. eaque

eaque

upload_2018-3-1_19-48-15.png
    the shape of the mountains seems to be made in worldmachine and decimate to get less poly so the "edges".
    Several ways to create some. Get blender it can do that easily it's randomised (there is a plug in inside) check on youtube

then you decimate it and delete the floor...
    WHat terrain generator tool do you have? you can do some great things with terrain composer or gaia or landscpae builder they can export to meshes...

46. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks, I know all that. What I don't know is how @Becoming created the many mountains and the textures all within 1 image.

Since you mention Blender, I purchased Terrain Shader Generator:

https://blendermarket.com/products/terrain-generator-shader-pro

It's quite handy for Blender, but the height map it generates are rather blocky when I create a terrain in Unity or a mesh in Blender. Hence I'd like to know the expert's opinion, in case it's not a secret.

47. creat327

creat327

The texture is pretty simple. It calculates how to merge them based on the height of the mesh, so you can do infinite amount of "mountains" with the same textures.

48. eaque

eaque

sorry:p

49. Rowlan

Rowlan

This post was like 2 years ago, just stumpled upon it. Are the skyscrapers and the clouds available in some other asset or was that project scratched?

50. creat327

creat327

wow, those clouds look really nice, was it ever finished or available for download? i would love those clouds