Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.9%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.4%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

31.9%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.1%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.4%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AD5

AD5

hmm i think this is a coincidence to the posts above, but ive run into some kind of artifacts / z-fighting type problem too. its the 3rd ive worked on with horizonON level but the first time ive seen this problem. it flickers around as you move the camera and is only on the lowest areas of the horizon. i can get rid of it by changing the camera to forward rendering but this is not ideal! has anyone had this problem?

I tried the horizonON preset for this level in the example scene and it did not produce the artifacts. sorry if this has been talked about before, i cant see a way to search a thread?

Attached Files:

2. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @AD5,

I'm not sure but due to it repeating I'd have a look at the textures and make sure there are no blank spots or spots that are in alpha. Probably wrong but just a thought.

Also remember the z fighting script only does it's stuff when in playmode.

Hope that helps

3. AD5

AD5

hi thanks for the imput but this is actually just using everything from the example scene, also i think the appearance of tiling is a coincidence, when you move the camera that whole area flickers around with artifacts, it was just hard to make any show up with the camera not moving for the screenshot!

Rowlan likes this.
  4. docsavage

docsavage

Hi, It's strange to see that from the demo scene assets as I have used them in some of my own made levels and have not seen the same issue. I'm using windows 10 64bit and unity 5.3.5p4. don't know if that's a possibility.

5. Becoming

Becoming

To me it seems that there might be a big object(e.g. a plane) below horizon in that scene...
    The easiest way to help for me is if you send me your skype name per eamil or PM... in a screenshare i am sure we can identify the issue quickly. Email is always the safest way to contact me for support, as lately many times i dont get notifications on the forum.

Cheers,
    Peter

6. BigYetti

BigYetti

So I'd like to use WorldComposer to provide the heightmap data for making a scene using Horizon[ON]. Does anyone know what sizes of tiles and number of tiles I should pull in using WorldComposer in order to have a reasonable looking horizon in the scene?

7. Becoming

Becoming

That depends on your usecase... Generally its a good idea to take smaller parts(around 2.5 km²) with 4 layers and mix them together using the mask... the tiling is not visible in the perspective you most likely going to have and the tiling will give you higher resolution look for less performance cost.

8. sammi32

sammi32

Hi

can i use Horizon[ON] with MapMagic or Terrain Composer (Streaming terrains) and then yes, how?

greetings

9. IClaudius

IClaudius

Trying to bake the displaced meshes to then create the colliders in order to place objects but the bake script doesn't seem to work as the meshes are not baked correctly and the collider therefore doesn't match up with the actual mesh. Ideas?

10. newfinalflashers

newfinalflashers

Hello. I have Unity 5.4 now but the horizon is not up to date. there are no 3d buildings or billboard trees rather flat textured houses and trees. and it is clearly different from the most up to date version of horizon[on]. how can i get the newest version of horizon[on] if even though i keep redownloading it i get it in its prior state.

11. recon0303

recon0303

My want to try emailing him, think its faster.

12. newfinalflashers

newfinalflashers

13. moonforce

moonforce

Hi, I buy the horizon[on] in unity store and it is really an amazing asset! But when I use horizons with different settings in two scene. After I build the exe and run, I am in the first scene, then I load the second scene, but the horizon in the second scene has the same material with the first one. It behaves differently in the Unity editor. Can anyone help me with this problem?Thanks very much.

14. Akshara

Akshara

Yes, this is one of Horizon[ON]'s quirks and is addressed in the following post...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/h...-and-your-scenery.259733/page-20#post-2727419

So in essence, each scene needs a unique set of materials assigned to each instance of Horizon[ON]. This is also the case for multiple instances of the Horizon[ON] Master within the same scene.

How I handle this is after placing the first Horizon[ON] Master into the scene, I duplicate and rename the Horizon[ON] default materials folder and rename the Horizon[ON] Master in the Hierarchy window to match that name; and then manually reassign all of the default materials for each Horizon[ON] component to the same materials within the new duplicate location.

It's a little bit of setup on the front end for each scene, yet it keeps things clean and easy to manage later on. It also allows for setting up a second Horizon[ON] Master within the same scene without conflicts.

There is also a related issue which you may experience later on, whereby any meshes generated by Horizon[ON] will be unique to that scene only. Like if you bake displacements into meshes for performance or for other reasons, to use those meshes within a different scene would require exporting them as OBJ files, using a separate asset that offers an export utility, and then importing them into the new scene and assigning the imported meshes to their respective mesh renderers within a unique Horizon[ON] Master for that scene.

It's kind of confusing yet once you have done it a few times, makes sense. Hope that answers your question and is helpful.

moonforce and hopeful like this.
  15. moonforce

moonforce

Akshara, thank you very much for your solution. Actually, I found a similar sollution with you after I posted yesterday, I created two folders and put corresponding horizon's materials in corresponding folder. Then I used a script to bind each material dynamicly and resolved my problem. So the key is to store two different material files. Thanks again for your helpful solution.

Akshara likes this.
  16. Despellanion

Despellanion

Does this work with the Unistorm weather system or any dynamic weather or day/night system?

ethanwgross likes this.
  17. Duffer123

Duffer123

The link to the manual for Horizon on the Unity Asset Store is down and I can't access the manual?

18. hopeful

hopeful

This works for me.

19. Duffer123

Duffer123

20. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

Hi Pete, how are you?

How i can get the water material you used in Horizon[ON]? I'm trying to make a seamless water effect but my water material doesn't match the Horizon[ON] water.

Regards,
    Dênis Fernandes - Weendie Games

21. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.
    I purchased HorizonOn and I want to make the sea.

sea.jpg
    But the white line appears around the terrain, and white noize sometimes appears in the Game screen,
    How can i make it?
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  22. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, again.

Scale_Inner_1.jpg
    Scale_Inner_0.jpg
    I set the Scale Inner to 0, then the rect of the terrain disappers from Game window in Unity Editor.

BlueRect.jpg
    But when game runs, the different color of rect appears at the terrain place in Game window.

MeshRendererOff.jpg
    And when I check off Mesh Renderer of terrain in Inspector window, terrain rect disappears from Scene window.
    But the different color of rect appears in the Game window.

How can i remove that different color of rect at the terrain place?
    Thanks.

23. br90218

br90218

Hi, I'm running into this problem where I can see nothing in the scene view but I can see them in game mode. I would never be able to edit my scene if I can't even see the stuff I'm editing! Help thanks!

24. reset

reset

Hi there

so Horizon can be used with Map Magic too?

25. hopeful

hopeful

Best to contact this dev through support email. He's away from the forum, busy working on a game.

26. ajaxlex

ajaxlex

Hey all - I sent a message to Peter, but thought I'd try the wisdom of the crowds as well -
    I just attempted an upgrade to Unity 5.5 from Unity 5.4 and discovered problems with the fog on some of Horizon[ON]

I'm working in linear colorspace, and am _not_ using horizon[on]s fog, rather am using Unity's.

Here is the old 5.4 editor

upload_2017-3-24_21-12-46.png

Here is the new 5.5 editor

upload_2017-3-24_21-13-22.png

Wondering if anyone else is seeing these kind of anomalies or has any guesses.

Thanks in advance!

27. ajaxlex

ajaxlex

Hey all.
    Just wanted you to know - I solved it with what is probably a colossal hack - i just copied the instructions from the tree renderer for fog application into the horizonOn core to line 837, modified the finalColor term to match local vars, and deactivated the other fog instructions above.

For my use case, i.fogCoord produces a more appropriate coordinate for the fragment shader..

UNITY_APPLY_FOG(i.fogCoord, finalColor.rgb);

would love to hear if anyone has a more elegant solution :)

28. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

I have Transition sky problem.
    In Unity 5.6.0f3, Transition sky looks broken.
    Can I fix this? :(
    transitionsky.PNG

29. Yasei_no_otoko

Yasei_no_otoko

Oh! I fixed this problem by @ajaxlex 's code! Thanks much! :)

30. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

You could try making you terrain in the middle tiny and just make sure the HorizonOn inner is set to the correct size to match. Also when in play mode check the z correction script is working ok. I had problems with it after I altered the positions thinking it was a fault but the z correction script fixes it so any alterations can actually stop it looking as well blended. Hope that makes sense.

Hope this helps a bit

recon0303 likes this.
  31. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Hey there, having an issue with the HO Editor in Unity 5.6 on Mac not showing correctly.

Attached Files:

32. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Has anyone heard from the author recently? It looks like this asset has been abandoned.

33. hopeful

hopeful

Probably not entirely abandoned. As is the situation with many store devs, he said he was making Horizon as part of his development for a game he was working on, and he's mostly spending time working on that game.

I suggest you try to contact him through his support email.

34. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks but I don't see an e-mail address listed and the support link goes to a website for another developer.

35. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

There's a support email on the Asset Store page, right next to the website link.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  36. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks. I'm not sure why we're seeing different things but when I go to the Horizon[On] page, there's only the "Visit Publisher's Website" link below the preview images and videos. Thanks for passing it along though.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  37. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

It looks like Asset Store doesn't display correctly with Firefox or maybe it doesn't show it if you're not signed in? I don't want to sign out to test it but it shows up when logged in on Chrome. It's not even included in the page source if I view it in Firefox not logged in. Might be an anti-spam measure.

38. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Interesting, I just tried it in Chrome and it still doesn't show up whether I'm logged in or not.

39. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Had a thought: Do you actually own it on the Asset Store? Maybe it only shows it to people who do?

40. hopeful

hopeful

I guess it only shows for owners. I didn't realize that's how it works, but I guess it makes sense.

Now I'm wondering if you ought to remove the email address from your post above, since the author hasn't made the address available to the general public.

41. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Good idea. @reggie_sgs should remove it from his quote of me too, can't hurt at least since he has what he needs now.

42. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

That's interesting but makes sense. I edited my post and e-mailed Peter a few days ago but still haven't received a reply. I'm hesitant to purchase if he's not supporting it any longer in case there are issues with later versions of Unity.

43. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, docsavage.

Thanks for your reply.
    Currently, I put the island object at center of the HorizonOn for avoiding this problem.
    F-35vsJ-10.jpg
    Watch the youtube!;)

Now, I want to know that the normalmapping and waviness region limitation.
    It become slow on iPhone6, when I activate them.(iPhone6s is not affect)

docsavage likes this.
  44. docsavage

docsavage

Good idea. Gets the job done:)

45. matrix211v1

matrix211v1

Anyone can direct me to the Getting Started documentation please? I found the main docs on the first page but that's it.

46. combatsheep

combatsheep

47. matrix211v1

matrix211v1

Thanks, but that's the manual. Inside the Manual it states "
    The “Horizon[ON] - Getting Started Guide“ will help you to get a basic understanding of how Horizon[ON]
    works It starts at page 23"

Therefore I'm looking for the "Getting Started Guide"

EDIT:
    Ignore that. They got the page numbers mixed up. For those that read "Page 23", it's really right AFTER Page 28. Hopefully someone who is searching this thread will find that also.

The Getting Started Guide is attached to the end of the Manual. Enjoy!

48. gecko

gecko

Did you get this working? We're looking at the same problem.

49. gecko

gecko

Hmm, now it's working fine. Weird.

50. Fr2

Fr2

I was having the same problem as Smokas and ethanwgross with the panel width on my mac. I edited the HorizonMasterEditor.cs which seems to have resolved the issue (attached).

Attached Files:

twobob likes this.