Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.6%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.1%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

42.5%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

31.0%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.8%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

12.7%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

15.6%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Becoming

Becoming

I tried to scatter some speed tree trees, worked without problems... for best results mix my distant trees with the speedtrees in a falloff range... so you dont just have a line where the tree type changes.

These distant speedtrees can be only the billboard lod, so remove the lod switching and the high res models, to avoid addtional calculations for lodding. Best would be to make a prefab of your simplified speedtrees.

one_one, hopeful and adventurefan like this.
  2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

If Unity was able to do updates that don't break other stuff, this wouldn't be an issue.. Unfortunately, staying bleeding edge comes at a cost. One I'm not willing to chance. So if we have to stay latest version to get Horizon[On] updates, I'll just have to wait. Totally understand about not wanting to support back to 4.6, but would be nice to at least have a 5.0 or 5.1 upload unless their are code changes that are not supported in that version since some projects are at a point in development that they are unable to update every time Unity updates.

No biggy though. Either way. If updates are only available to latest Unity, I can wait. But you may be cutting off additional new customers by limiting to the bleeding edge versions of Unity. ;)

EDIT:
    Didn't read that far ahead to see this. This would make sense why you would limit the update to that version. :)

3. adventurefan

adventurefan

Good info to have! Thanks.

4. kilik128

kilik128

any Worldmachine setup ? or terrain composer
    any tips and trick or other setup

5. eagle555

eagle555

For setting up with TerrainComposer you can read here:
    http://www.terraincomposer.com/how-to-faq/

Nathaniel

6. kilik128

kilik128

cool about the mobile demo the main script have no displacement how is work ? it's take the shader information
    how is make the switch between high resolution and low resultion you use any tool

7. Becoming

Becoming

I took the example scene and baked the displacement. Then i exported the meshes with the obj exporter from the unify wiki(i included a rar with a fixed version of the script in the sources/scripts/editor folder). I imported the obj into a 3d program and combined it into a single big mesh, which i then reduced and reimported to unity. I use the object shader on it.

It's not hard to do but you need some sort of 3d program(or an asset like cruncher). Alternatively you can use blend meshes on a flat horizon. With blend meshes you could even get a lower triangle count.

8. huxley

huxley

horizon_bug.jpg I've upgrades to the latest version of Horizon[ON] and added the demo project to my scene. In my scene, however, I'm getting a slight visible edge between the Skybox and the Horizon[ON]_Transition_Sky object.

Is there a setting that I've not entered correctly to account for my skybox?

9. Becoming

Becoming

I am assuming that you use the displacement level setup, make sure that the last level before the transition sky is a "Horizon[ON]_Disp_Level_End". Also make sure that the scales match up and that the elements are on the same height.
    If that does not solve it, please add a screenshot of your hierarchy of the 2 elements that do not align.

10. huxley

huxley

You are correct I am using the displacement level design. Your suggestions helped me fix the issue. I replaced the Horizon[ON]_Disp_Level_6 prefab with the Horizon[ON]_Disp_Level_End prefab. I also had the camera culling set at 52000, so extending that beyond the Horizon[ON]_Disp_Level_End scale did the trick. Fantastic asset, especially on Unity 5, ***** review added to asset store!

hopeful likes this.
  11. crypt0

crypt0

Hi,

houston we have a problem :D - I'm using HORIZON since some days. I love it! But, I found a realy big problem and I have no idea how to fix it.

In my project, I'm using Speedtrees - In an existing map, I have added HORIZON. After that, the Speedtree lightning was
    dreadful - At first I thought that I have adjusted somewhat to the exposure. But all the settings are ok. After I have tested a little bit in a new scene, I found the issue. The camera farClipPlane causes major problems with lighting and shadows.

I have uploaded a small video.

Any ideas, how to fix this problem?

Cheers

12. Becoming

Becoming

Yes, there are multiple possible reasons/solutions for this:
    1.) (most likely the case) Check how far from the scene origin there are active shadow casters, you might need to turn of shadow casting on the mesh renderers which are very far away.
    2.) The nearclip plane is too small and far clip plane too high, if you have a really big view distance you might need to increase the nearclip plane distance. So if your nearclip plane is something like 0.05 that is probably the issue. If you need a such small nearclip distance you might look into using a multi cam setup(I think @eskovas has released a free asset recently and describes multicam setups very well, look for his recent posts).
    3.) Check how high the player can go in your map, then check how close to the starting edge of horizon these elevated postions are. Take a look around from this positions in gameview with fog/atmospheric scattering active and see how far the player can actually really see, chances are that you can use a smaller horizon without any visual difference. If that is the case you shoud definitely reduce the level count of horizon and adjust your farclip plane accordingly.

But most likely it is just a shadowcaster very far out from the scene origin ;)

Please report back if you were able to resolve the issue, thanks.

Cheers,
    Peter

13. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

I have just finished the tutorial, an built a scene. I am having an issue with the Transition Terrain. It flickers at medium distance and is complete absent at close distance. I have made a short movie showing this.

https://db.tt/M05hcJFD

This is not my game, but just the tutorial, but I would like to get this resolved before I attempt it on my real game.

14. Becoming

Becoming

Thx for the video...
    Have you set your camera farclip plane?
    For the flickering that is the transition terrain element, it has a script attached which sets the y-position based on the camera height. make sure it is not set to static or the script wont be able to move it... also check the faq, i think it is covered there. If you need further help let me know.

Peter

15. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

My transition terrain is not static.

My camera is set to main and my farclip is set as per the tutorial at 59000.

The FAQ points to page 13. I tried different values in the ZFighting script, but 1) I don't know what those values do so I was just changing at random, and 2) I didn't notice any difference.

I'm still stuck with the flickering.

16. Becoming

Becoming

transition.jpg
    The transition Y Offset means the world position y of the transition object based on the camera y position. So in the example above the transition object is placed at 0.1 on its y axis if the camera y position is at 1 or below. If the camera is at 500 or above, the terrain transition object will be placed on 5 on its y axis. Anything inbetween will be interpolated. You can try to increase the TranstitionY Offset on the Low Camera Position tab to get more distance to the terrain.

Although i am wondering why you even ran into this problem as i have tested the tutorial and example scene to not have this problem. So the problem might be soemwhere else. Please report back, we will figure it out what it is and solve it.

17. Becoming

Becoming

Another note: if you are using a first person controller, you most probably don't need to have a horizon of that size, you might as well just use half or a quarter of the size without any visual difference.

18. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Issue solved. I found a step in the tutorial that I did wrong. Correcting that fixed the issue. Thanks for the quick support @Becoming .

19. wwg

wwg

Issue:
    The transition to sky is displayed in front of my tree billboards (see attached image). I'm using RTP.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. Becoming

Becoming

I have chosen a queue value that works best for speed trees. if you are you using the older tree shaders you may need to make a little change...
    If you open the "Transition Sky" shader, and find the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. "Queue"= "Geometry+501"//+500"
    It should be line 119(at least in the latest version).
    You can change the number there to your needs... i think the commented out "+500" was the value I used in the initial release and it worked well.

hopeful likes this.
  21. wwg

wwg

Hi Peter,
    Thanks for such a fast response! I ended-up removing my old horizon, upgrading to the new version of Horizon[ON] and creating a new horizon. It now works as expected.

22. Becoming

Becoming

You are welcome! Thanks for letting me know, gives me the cozy feeling that everything is allright :D

23. broesby

broesby

Hi Peter,..

I own Horizon[ON] and love it. I have not used it extensively yet though as I have been working on other aspects of my game primarily... ;)

I was wondering... I consider buying CETO Ocean.
    Would it be possible to have CETO be responsible for the ocean part of the horizon and Horizon[ON] handle the rest....

I would hate to have the perfect ocean but not be able to use since it wouldn't blend nicely with my horizon... On the other hand I need my landmass to have a horizon too. On top of that I am somewhat demanding of horizons, since my player is supposed to fly :cool:

24. Becoming

Becoming

Hi broesby,
    I dont see any real problem with it... there are a few ways how you could deal with it, though i could give you best advice if you'd draw me a rough sketch of your terrain/water areas and where you want the horizon...

25. broesby

broesby

Thx Peter ;)

I didn't buy CETO yet. Just wanted to know it would be possible before I buy it... I haven't settled on the actual terrain setup yet... there will probably be several...

But just think a shoreline straight or otherwise... with CETO giving "infinite ocean on one side/perhaps two. And Horizon giving almost infinite landmass horizons on the others... Streaming new terrains in when I go ((actually I fly) "inland".

Il'll get back to you when I have an actual setup..

I suppose Horizon ON just need to be placed lower in the parts where the ocean is???

Jesper

26. Becoming

Becoming

In that case lowering Horizon and addind a little brightness to all heightmap layers would do the trick, the horizon water will be flattened and will be the lowest part, ceto should just render over it. Depending on if you have a scrolling horizon or not, there would be other solutions as well. Let me know when you are working on it :)

27. creat327

creat327

hi there
    is the mobile version working? I've just got the latest version, loaded the mobile scene, compiled for android on a Samsung note 4 (pretty fast device) and all I got was a black screen. On the editor if I hit "play" it is ok. On the device it won't show anything.

28. Becoming

Becoming

It worked for me on my test devices which are a galaxy note pro 12.2(full feature set) and a galaxy s1(strongly reduced feature set).
    Maybe you can give me more details? With just that information there is not much i can do.

29. creat327

creat327

what details do you need?
    I didn't do anything special:
    1) Open Unity 5.2, create empty project.
    2) Import Horizon, open mobile scene. Add it to the build.
    3) Switch platform to android. Hit play. it seems ok.
    4) connect phone, build and run... Unity logo shows up... then black screen. No crash. Just black.

30. creat327

creat327

Btw, I just tested on 2 other phones, in one was all funky, weird colors. They all have android 5.x (5.1.1 on one, 5.0 on anothers)

31. Becoming

Becoming

In the build settings, did you switch to support Gles3? For, Gles2 you need to reduce features. However, i'll try today again on my side, maybe unity has changed something that i am not aware of in the latest version.
    What exact unity version are you using?

32. creat327

creat327

graphics were on "auto". I've just switched it to opengl3 with no luck.
    I've tried with the latest 5.2 patch and with 5.3 beta.
    The logcat shows no errors. It's just black.

33. creat327

creat327

any luck reproducing the problem?

34. Becoming

Becoming

I was only able to use my notebook for digging into the problem and most of the time was wasted freeing diskspace, installing the android SDK and dependencies, so it took me quite some time to get started... I tried building and it worked without problems, i am still not sure where the problem is. I will dig deeper today.

Can you maybe try to build with the lowest possible minimum api level(think it is 2.3 gingerbread). Also if you could test with all Horizon[ON] features turned off it could mabye shed some light on the source of the issue.

I'll let you know as soon as i know more & sorry for the delay.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  35. Becoming

Becoming

@creat327 On another computer and another device, installed Unity 5.2.2p3, made a new project, switched the platform to android, entered the bundle identifier, downloaded Horizon[ON] from the store, added the "ExampleSceneMobile" to the Scenes in Build and hit build and run with a Galaxy Note Pro connected via usb. No problems, all works out of the box. I am not sure what else i can try. Maybe something is wrong with your Android SDK? If you can't work it out you can send me your skype name via private message and we can take a look at your issue over skype screenshare.

36. Orleron

Orleron

Not sure if this was asked. My terrain does not have flat edges. The edges of my terrain are hilly and thus the Y-coordinate of the terrain itself is not necessarily the same height as the edge of the terrain.

Is there a way to make the edges of the Transition terrain in Horizon[ON] follow the edges of my terrain, so I can blend the two seamlessly?

37. Becoming

Becoming

Not out of the box... it has been discussed in this thread quite a few times, here a quote from the FAQs:

Q: How does the blending(transition) from my terrain to Horizon[ON] work.
    A:
    There are a few ways to do it. The regular way would be to flatten the terrain on the outside edges and overlay the transition object from Horizon[ON] onto your terrain. In my opinion this is the best option as it is easy to do and gives great visual results. Usually you can not let the player get too close to the edge of the terrain without revealing limited range and the square shape of your environment. With Horizon[ON] you can allow the player to get very close to the edge ad still hold the illusion of an infinite world. There are also other ways to do it. In my tests it was perfectly feasible to just place the terrain a bit above Horizon[ON] and do no transition at all. The edge of the terrain will just look like a hill in front of the horizon. This way the player can still come fairly close to the edge, especially if the player can not take very elevated positons, but even if so it can still work fine. Another method would be just a intersection between your terrain and the geometry of Horizon[ON]. if you match the colors of Horizon[ON] well enough with the colors of your terrain this can work quite well too, especially if you put additional detail like rocks, trees, buildings, roads, etc. over the parts where the intersection occurs. Lastly there is also the possibility to create your own transition mesh and use that but this option is the most tricky one and is usually not needed. Which of the described methods works best in your case, you have to find out on your own as i can not generalize all kind of terrains and the usecases.

38. Orleron

Orleron

That's what I thought, unfortunately, but thank you!

I cannot believe that it's seemingly so rare to have a map that drops in elevation from west to east and not by having unscaleable walls surrounding it.

39. Porto881

Porto881

Just bought this and started playing with it and followed the getting started guide. The problem is that my camera wont render anything that is outside the border of my terrain even though i set clipping planes to 59000. Anyone got a clue of what´s wrong?

40. Becoming

Becoming

Maybe it is some layer mask problem? That is just a blind guess, i would need more information to help. What are the settings of your Camera? Does the example scene work for you? Did you start from a fresh project?

41. Porto881

Porto881

I tried with uFPS-camera and the regular unity-camera but it´s the same. It´s a fresh project and the demo-scene worked fine.

42. yty

yty

@Becoming
    How to Enable ambient vs. IBL ?

The default does not have this option.
    I use unity3d 5.22f1 64bit Gamma space

43. Becoming

Becoming

Can you post me a screenshot of your camera setup?

44. Becoming

Becoming

It takes what is enabled in the lighting window, so to be able to blend between ibl and ambient you must enable Skybox as ambient source there. The ambient light color will still be taken if you set the Ambien vs. IBL Blend slider to zero or something inbetween.

45. Porto881

Porto881

This exact setup works with the example-scene but not with my scene. However I couldn´t follow the get started guide 100% since the skydome prefab for example doesnt exist in my horizon-map in unity but that shouldn´t be the problem right?

46. Becoming

Becoming

No that should not be the problem, i think i added the note that this prefab is no longer needed with version 1.2 in the guide. So that is not the reason, then it must be about the horizon. Can you check on which layer the child objects of horizon are? I mean the lowest level childrent that have the mesh renderers attached.

47. Porto881

Porto881

The layer in the top of the inspector you mean? In that case they are on the default layer.

48. Becoming

Becoming

yeah, that s what i meant... default is ok though so the problem must be somewhere else. Can you see the horizon in the sceneview but not in playmode? Maybe a material issue. Can you give me a few screenshots of your setup? Hierarchy and inspector of an element that does not render. Sorry for this, i never had this problem reported before and i can not recreate it here.

49. Porto881

Porto881

Hope this helps

50. Becoming

Becoming

Yes this gives me a few ideas what could go wrong. The transition sky and the transition terrain, do they use the according materials( "TransitionSky" and "TransitionTerrain")?

edit: and the materials should use the according shaders!

unityunity