Search Unity

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.8%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.3%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

32.1%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.0%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.3%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I think the contest needs to stop and the feedback/support needs to start.

2. Recon03

Recon03

I Skype one of the other Devs that knows him fairly well, he said he would contact him, I guess we will see how that goes.. But after this, I own all of Becoming assets, I won't be another. This post took me 30 seconds from a hospital bed, no joke.. So not sure how hard it is for others... sigh

3. kyleleetMT

kyleleetMT

Any ETA on that fix? Or does anyone know how to fix that issue?

4. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Hi,
    I started reading the manual on Dropbox but I still have no clue how to get started. Isn't there some kind of beginners tutorial?

Thanks

5. twobob

twobob

There is a beginners tutorial , in the docs?

Follow the section marked Gettings Started.

And then read the stuff on Page 12 Onwards....

Thats what I did, there is a post on that on the first few pages of this thread

6. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

How do I reduce the triangle count of the horizon?

Thanks

7. kyleleetMT

kyleleetMT

I assume you could edit the meshes that come with horizon.

8. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi,

really hope this super cool asset hasn't been permanently abandoned?

any news...

cheers.

9. hopeful

hopeful

@super-cypher - If you are really concerned, send a PM to the dev, or better yet, send an email to the support email address.

The Unity forum software has a known bug that it won't always notify the thread owner of new messages.

10. anuj

anuj

Hi, i score 2600

Attached Files:

11. Rachan

Rachan

Hi there!

Thank you for making a great tool. but i have a question about color space.
    is there any way to support Gamma Color space? because my project
    using Gamma work space. so Horizon on terrain is too bright.

Thanks in advanced

Attached Files:

12. Recon03

Recon03

I was told something personal came up with this developer so that was why he is gone... Not sure why I have to post this and he doesn't or the person that told me didn't which is concerning... I understand things come up, health issues etc, but I run a business and so does my wife, I have battled cancer and in the hospital alot.. Atleast 3-4 months out of every year for almost 12 years now and I still make contact with my employees and anyone else that needs me.. So this is why I won't cut him any slack.

But I did want people to be aware I did hear this from a good source that has worked with Peter.. Peter and Becoming tools are great tools, its sad though Peter has not brought someone else in here to help him, since he already has worked with other developers here and knows alot of people. So asking for one person help and paying them is something i'm sure someone would do...

Right now he is collecting some money and not doing any updates or any support.. I know my company and another took the tools out of the game due to some issues ..that we don't have the time or money to fix his issues.. So I think when this happens, the asset should be taken down until he comes back... or he hires some help... There are Assets here they have a team, or hire a support team, and have amazing support..

I do wish Peter the best of luck, and hope all is well with him and his health and his family.. We all know family does come first, but remember when you make a tool like this and companys use them, you could screw them up with out proper support.. I feel like alot of people who make assets feel we are all doing this for a hobby and can wait when thats not always the case.. I have a few friends who who have company's that refuse to use any assets, now I see why.....

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

I won't go into any details in regards to why Peter doesn't hold support for HorizON, but I was the person who's behind the HorizON shaders, so I could also help a bit with some issues. But, the point is - as I'm willing to help, you can't expect me to maintain 3rd party products while I've got enough issues with my own support :).

Anyway I'll try to DL HorizON and check gamma issue. For other issues - please don't ask me to go thru 9 pages of posts to find them all. Simply resolve them one by one.

This means - gamma issue first. Then next with quite a sensible timeframe set on me to look into the issue.

ATB, Tom

P.S. I'm doing this just because I think HorizON is excellent product, no matter the minor issues it still has (like every product anywhere).

Teila likes this.
  14. Recon03

Recon03

I already knew you were behide the shaders since I have bought most of your assets, Nath's assets, which made me buy all of Peters tools since Nath had told me about them ... So to support you guys, we bought them and I told people that do this for a living, how great tools they are and what great support they give, which is important for any tool.... Like Unity, if we did not get support, alot less would use it..

. So I do wish Peter the best of luck.. and what ever is going on in his life.. I just can't let tools like this be in the way of my company anymore ..

We may use in the future we may not, at this point, I have no idea. Only tool we use once in awhile still is Snappy Grid, but we are making our own so that will be taken out soon as well.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've talked to Peter and we looked at issues with shaders. They should get compiled in U5.2 for new update that should be available soon. Users will be able to download updates as soon as they are available without waiting for AssetStore vetting (which currently can take even 2-3 weeks) - gave Peter access to some space and updater tool on my server. It validate users by order number and purchase date like on my products.

For gamma space issue. It's not actually the issue, you need to adjust color tint value and make it lower. So - example scene is for linear lighting, for gamma you need to adjust your own settings. Maybe there will be gamma example scene (and maybe mobile example) as well. In gamma space in example scene light is set too strong as well.

Tom

16. Teila

Teila

This is great, Tom. You are a good friend to Peter.

I hope he is okay and that whatever the issues, they pass soon for him, regardless of whether he returns here. Life can be hard sometimes and we are all vulnerable to its ups and downs.

MarcusWatson and hopeful like this.
  17. tomaszek

tomaszek

I see Peter is still busy on the subject or something else, but to give a hint to users that can't make build for U5.2 due to errors produced by shaders (this "HDR" variable that is not supposed to be used) - comment out

Code (csharp):
    1. [HideByProp(dummy_specular, _IBLSpec, 0)] unity_SpecCube0 ("  Reflection Cubemap", Cube) = "_Skybox" {}
    This is the problematic line and overriding cubemap is not allowed anymore (reflection probe will be set by Unity itself).

Tom

18. Becoming

Becoming

Hey everybody,
    I want to apologize for my sudden disappearing, many things happened in my life and at some point it was just too much for me. I know that its a bad excuse and other people have more pressing reasons to complain about life and so on... Anyway, i dont want to discuss personal life in public and just want to get back where i left and offer better support from now on.

To make a new start: A big update is around the corner(probably pushed to Toms updater tomorrow). Here is a webplayer of the new example scene:

Horizon[ON] Webplayer
    Controls: Arrow keys to manipulate the sun, RMB to zoom, LMB & drag to look around, be sure to try all the buttons ;)

Horizon[ON]1.2.jpg

More details tomorrow, its about midnight here...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Konst, eventropy, Xenonus and 5 others like this.
  19. Xenonus

Xenonus

Welcome back! :)
    What kind of sorcery has been used for the above screens?

20. Teila

Teila

Absolutely gorgeous, Becoming! So glad to have you back. Life does throw those curve balls at times. :)

21. khos85

khos85

Welcome back!
    WOW, would love to see how this is made!

22. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks, i am really glad to be back on track! While updating the manual i noticed a little bug with the GUI of the new tree painter. Its a very minor issue but it delays the update 1 or 2 days.

So whats new in this update:
    • Bugfixes, all know issues have been solved(i do not make this update for unity 4 though, i hope you guys understand)
    • A few minor simplifications
    • A new example scene that works out of the box with gamma color space and looks like the webplayer and screens above
    • A simple mobile ready example scene is now included
    • The texture set that comes with Horizon[ON] has been improved
    • There is now a example script that shows how you can change the parameters of Horizon[ON] in runtime.
    • A handy little prefab painter is now included, it makes it easy to place tons and tons of trees and buildings. Also it automatically combines all the objects when you collapse a painted group into one mesh(and uncombines if you want to)
    • 24 pseudo billboard trees are included, all atlassed into a single texture set. The trees automatically face the scene origin when placed and the trees use some normal tricks to appear 3 dimensional and react to the light correctly. It is possible to put 11000 trees into a single mesh and the shader is quite simple(no realitme billboarding needed) so it is really really performant.
    • 20 buildings are included, they are atlassed into one texture set as well. Very low poly and still nice looking in the distance, so performance is very good as well on these. They also have windows that reflect the light and light up in the dark.
    • The shaders for the trees and buildings are made with shaderforge so you can extend them. They also react to snow and fog just as the main elements of Horizon[ON] do. So you can use them as template to make your own shaders that are compatible with Horizon[ON].
    • some more minor things...

trees.jpg

I hope you guys like the possibility of really dense, 3D forests that react to light in the distance, i think this was always an issue and it's rarely seen in games, even in the latest AAA games.

Also i was tweaking the example scene like crazy to look great without any imageFX and without any additional assets. I cant wait to see results with tastefull PostFX, RTP for the closeup terrain and a good skysolution like Time of Day or uSky, atmospheric scattering ftw!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    one_one, Martin_H, hopeful and 2 others like this.
  23. MarcusWatson

MarcusWatson

Back with a bang! Loving the demo. Added bonus that the music gave my sub a workout :)

Looking forward to the next release, but more importantly it's good to know you're ok.

24. Gozdek

Gozdek

Wow! Looks brilliant.

25. khos85

khos85

Incredible!
    Looking forward to seeing it/playing with the update :)

26. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hey Peter

Just saying it's nice to see you back :)

..and looking forward to the update.

many thanks

Nalin

27. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks a lot guys, makes feel at home here :)

Verison 1.2 is submitted to the assetstore. Now i am going to upload it on Tom's updater, no need to wait a week for assetstore approval to get your hands on your new toy. Link will follow.

Cheers,
    Peter

MarcusWatson, eventropy and hopeful like this.
  28. eventropy

eventropy

Awesome! Can't wait to get the link.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  29. Becoming

Becoming

Ok i think i got it working, here is the link:

Horizon[ON] Update 1.2 (updater is disabled, please get it from the assetstore)

You need to enter your order number and the purchasedate(check for the right formatting).
    It gives you access to the download which consists out of 8 .zip files.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  30. adventurefan

adventurefan

Downloaded! Just don't try to copy/paste the date from your invoice folks because it's not in the same format. XD

31. eventropy

eventropy

Thanks Peter. Love the new version! Especially the tree painter

32. khos85

khos85

Hi, wanted to ask if the update will eventually come via asset store? I think yes but just check.

33. Becoming

Becoming

Yes Sir ;)

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can I get some advice....the trees...do not billboard..
    Are they supposed too?

and for some reason..no hills in the example scene, this is what I see.

When the camera changes position, angle..the trees ...are a static 2D billboard, from behind, they disappear.

so, I guess....your never meant to even get close to those...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  35. one_one

one_one

36. Becoming

Becoming

No, they are not supposed to, like christoph_r (thx btw) pointed out by quoting me, they will face the scene origin which will be always good as long as the player is still on, or over the center terrain. Also it is one of the reasons a crazy amount of trees can be placed without much of a performance impact.

However, the trees are using a shaderforge shader and you can make changes to it(or a duplicate of it). There is even a checkbox in shaderforge that makes billboards afaik. Though the trees can then not be combined anymore and you would need to rely on batching. While batching is an optimization it is still an order of magnitude slower than combined trees.

I would rather suggest a different route though... open the tree meshes in a 3d program and make them double sided(or change the shader to doublesided rendering) and make them crosses, the oldscool way... you can also bend them a little to make them look better when viewed from straight above.

37. Becoming

Becoming

Horizon[ON] 1.2 is now live on the assetstore.

I also uploaded the updated manual...

hopeful and Teila like this.
  38. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Anyone else using a 5.1.x version seeing the update? Asset store in Unity is showing me Horizon[ON] 1.0 and no option to Update, just download and import. Asset store page shows it was uploaded with 4.6, 5.0, and 5.2.1. Wondering if Unity screwed something up in their last asset store update.. :(

39. Becoming

Becoming

Hmm, not sure whats going on... i uploaded the latest version from 5.2.1, so you should only be able to get it with 5.2.1 or higher.

40. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

It must keep track of the old submissions too. So just because it says uploaded in multiple versions, doesn't necessarily mean you can get the LATEST version if you are on those versions.. lol

Thanks for confirming my suspicion, @Becoming. I'll have to wait and play with it whenever I update to 5.2.x.

hopeful likes this.
  41. Teila

Teila

So we can't update it until we move to 5.2.x? Oh, that is too bad. :(

42. Becoming

Becoming

What is your reason not to update? i know that updating can be an annoyance but that is mostly the case for major versions. Luckily unity has fixed a lot of nasty bugs that existed with prior 5.2. I would recommend to stay up to date as much as possible,

I can try to import the package to 5.1 or even 5.0, if it goes without issue i can reupload it or reenable toms updater. However, i'd still prefer if you guys were up to date, Dealing with multiple versions is a pain for asset devs.

43. A-V-Medvedskiy

A-V-Medvedskiy

44. Becoming

Becoming

What version of Horizon[ON] are you using?
    On the Time of Day scattering component you need to bring the range to a more realisitc value like 0.0005(depending on your horizon size... this value is good for the example scene)

45. A-V-Medvedskiy

A-V-Medvedskiy

Update all assets and problem was solved. Thnks

46. Becoming

Becoming

I just slapped Time of Day onto the example scene of Horizon[ON] to make sure everything is still working...
    Result after 5 minutes of tweaking TOD:
    TOD1.gif
    Gameplay: none whatsoever
    Graphics: photorealistic
    IGN verdict: 10/10
    :D

hopeful likes this.
  47. Teila

Teila

Hmm, what I read on the forums is that there are still some serious bugs in 5.2, including issues with Visual Studio. When those are fixed we will update. My programmer did update actually, but had to roll back due to issues.

48. Becoming

Becoming

Ah ok, i am using VS and its working fine here. From what i know the issues with 5.2.1 are less dramatic than the issues before this version. 5.0 was a total mess, it got better with 5.1... anyway, with 5.2 they introduced some bigger changes how shaders and reflectionprobes work and this is one of the reasons i dont want to go back.

Teila likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Yeah, I get it. We will update someday. :)

50. adventurefan

adventurefan

Has anyone tried this with speedtree to see what the visual compatibility is like? I would think it would be seamless but you never know what crazy thing happens mixing assets. :D I'll try it out later if nobody has.