Search Unity

Homeschool unity student plan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NotSoLuckyDucky, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Hi, I am in 9th grade and homeschooled. I am doing a college course for college credit. I am also starting a game design club for homeschoolers in a week and want to know how I can prove I am a student for the Unity Student Plan.
    The reason I want this plan is so my GD club will be able to work on the same project, and the extra benefits would be nice.
    So in all do I need to go to a public school or do I just have to prove I do school? and if I have to prove I do school how would I do that?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

A club for home schoolers should be able to all use Unity Personal for free. Nothing special you need to do. If you're using some student license for your college class you can switch licenses as needed.

3. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Hi, The student plan comes with many benefits that can help us work together like collaboration and some assets. This is why I would want to use, however it is not a necessity it is just convenient

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

My understanding, based off of all the posts where people have discussed their experiences with it, is that collaboration is just awful. You're far better off having everyone learn a version control system like Git or Subversion than you are trying to rely on collaboration.

5. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

From the research I have done it seems like a safe bet. One of your a student it's free. two you get a few perks. Also, I don't want to waste a bunch of storage and I am not the best with Git Hub. And if it is awful it was worth a shot. I honestly don't mind trying new things that don't work. So now I am a homeschooler and just want to know if I am able to do it. Also, it's not just the collaboration, I want to teach the people in my game design club how to do game design from my few years of knowledge. So if they want to they can use the Unity Learn that it comes with on their own time.

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

You don't want to learn and teach something, which is unreliable and unstable.

You should however learn and teach way to utilize git. It appears this is huge lacking in young generation of students.
    It is recommended by many and reliable way, to store and share and collaborate on projects.

Collab beyond frustration, is not really transferable skill.
    Git on other hand, can be applied to near everything (with common sense).

As an example of one tool, after spending an hour or so, you can learn basics and setup github. With github desktop app, work with it is just breeze.
    Also it costs you nothing, for basics use.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.
  7. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Hi!
    Ok, I am not learning Unity I am sorry I have been making games since around 2017. I wasn't the best then but now I can do many things I wasn't able to do. I want to learn Git and actually have a course on it, but I am trying to finish an RPG course I am working on (They are on Udemy and great by the way). I want to at the beginning of the club because lots of the people are interested and don't have an understanding so I want to teach them the basics of the engine, scripting, and modeling. I don't have a job yet but I am applying at Chick-fil-A (wish me luck), so I want the student plan and its benefits. I also want the other members to learn on their own time. In the end of the club, I want us to build games and maybe one day attend GDC.
    Sorry for the jumble of words!!

Thanks!
    I use Source Tree right now as my repository but do these commits transfer to other devices and "replace" the old bit.

EXAMPLE:
    We are all in my living room building a top-down shooter and I finish building the level. I commit the level and upload it to Git. They then get the commit. Will this download as a new "thing" (I don't know how to explain it) or will it update the project they were working on. (Note we are all working on the same thing). This is why I want collaboration. I don't know much about it but it sounds like as a team working from different devices, we will all be able to work on the same project, am I right?

Anyway thanks!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, in theory, assuming it works properly, but everything I've heard suggests that it doesn't work properly. By the way in case you're not aware collaboration is basically the same as any other version control but with an in-editor interface. All of the limitations and ways you work with it (eg one person modifying a scene at a time) are identical aside from that.

9. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Ok! so what about the other benefits of Unitys student plan. Are they worth it? And will the Git update automatically? like instant changes across platforms. If so that would be nice.

[Edit]
    Also if other parts of the plan are worth it does anyone have tips on how I can prove I do school. I take a college course for college credit and I make good grades. My mom and I just made a report card today so our driving insurance will be cheaper. So anyway if anyone has tips please share.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

The Student Asset Pack is basically free access to the Snaps packs which are a mixed bag in value. Some of them have good reviews and others have reviews saying they're broken.

https://assetstore.unity.com/publishers/40268

Access to Learn Premium is the only one that has any real value in my opinion, but that's an opinion based solely off of looking at what the topics cover and not actually trying them out.

https://unity.com/products/learn-premium

No, but Collaborate won't do this either. In both cases you will need to perform a couple of steps to update files.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  11. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

WOW, Thanks! ok thanks, I will find some way to get it for the learn and the snaps maybe for prototyping. In the meantime. I am designing a destruction system that is going to run a BFSearch and destroys a given object based on dissipation and a shatter scale, but I am confused with the collider system I am trying to work with.
    I will make that a new thread tomorrow, I'm getting tired!
    Anyway thanks!

12. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Unity collaborate doesnt just "not work well", it borderline doesnt work at all. Honestly listen to the advice from others and just avoid it and use git instead.

It wont take you long to learn, and you will actually be able to get support from people on here which is a far sight above what you get for using unity collaborate. Once you use the unity system any issues you have you are at their whims, instead of having a bunch of users here who can point you to what to do in your git client or even command line.

Also if you use this: https://unity.github.com/

It makes git work exactly like unity collaborate, as in you get a button inside the editor that allows you to push and pull updates. Plus its free. Enjoy.

xVergilx likes this.
  13. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Sweet Thanks!!!

14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Guy's, I am using collab and it works fine for me. Don't mean to derail, but what kind of issues are ya'll having?

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

16. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

well, it's simple to use.

17. Antypodish

Antypodish

I know you are more 3D designer than programmer, but have you used other repositories?

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but the same can be said of the others. With TortoiseSVN all I have to do to request updates from the server is right-click the project folder and select "SVN Update". Submitting changes to the server is the same idea but instead selecting "SVN Commit". TortoiseGIT is basically the same but with slightly different names.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  19. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I've used GIT but I wouldn't know the difference really. Just haven't had any issues with collab.

20. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Issues my team have had with collab:
    (Note these only start to occur on enterprise sized projects)

- Collab forgets that the repository exists and cant push or pull requiring a restart of unity
    - Collab button disappears entirely forcing restart of unity
    - Collab forgets you are a member of the project and/or organisation requiring frequent relinking and resetting
    - Collab outright would not allow a member of our team to push or pull or join project, we had to go through a lot of faff with unity support to fix that
    - Collab does not support half the features of proper git, and those that it does break often. Im talking about branching, proper reverting of individual files, reversal of commits, rebasing, etc
    - Collab stops pushing randomly sometimes and requires a restart

Theres many more issues and the list goes on

With github for unity, I get the same ease of use of collab, within unity, but without all the terrible issues that plagues any large scale collab project with multiple users.

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  21. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I haven't had any of those issues. Not having full features of a proper GIT I guess is the main thing probably for a larger project with many collaborators. But none of the other bugs I've ran into. I am sure things get a lot more touchy when it goes beyond two people sending updates though.

I asked the programmer I work with about it and he says all the version control tools got issues. Using collab keeps things simple for him, and he's used it on some larger projects as well.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Collab is buggy as hell and has been way worse in the past. It's taken quite a long time to get to the stability of today, which is I think for me about 5/10.

Because it frequently forces me to commit twice (which means uploading twice) because it forgot that one file. This happens so many times, and also it happens randomly.

*shrugs* but even so it's still the easiest worry-free option so I use it and bash the side of the TV when it fails.

23. NotSoLuckyDucky

NotSoLuckyDucky

Hi! How is your experience? also, what is Unity Cloud? does that let seamless collaboration?

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I still use collab, its fine for me. But it will be a little janky at times (all version control tends to have occasional issues).

25. Glamglider

Glamglider

Hi! I'm a grade 11 student and I'm homeschooled. I've always had the dream of doing GD and came across the student plan. Now I've got a few questions, firstly, when I went on the student plan page I was asked to give which country I live in and I don't want to lie and say I'm from Canada, UK, US, and all those other places...I'm from South Africa and that is not added. Secondly, with the school thing, do I have to go to a regular school? Because apparently homeschool is not exactly a school name. So please help with that.

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity uses SheerID to determine eligibility status. It's possible that they're just not in your country.

You need to be attending an "accredited educational institute".

Students aren't required to use the student plan. You can use Unity Personal.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  27. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Locking this very old thread. To continue the conversation, please create a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.