Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Home hosting with fiber and a dedicated machine?

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Student4Life, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Student4Life

Student4Life

hi everyone.
    I'm interested in making some experimental networked games, and I'm sure few people will be interested.

We have high speed internet at our house, and I wondering if setting up a PC 24/7 and offering the game as a download (either from Steam or from a homepage) would be a realistic idea? I can't imagine I would get more than a dozen concurrent players.

I did a few searches before this post, and the articles / videos I read / watched gave me the following takeaways:

- possible security issues inviting the world onto your home network (requires good firewall etc)

- a server doesn't generally need to be super high spec

Does sound right? Does anyone have any other things I should consider, or can you share your experience or research on the topic?

2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

does you internet provider allow hosting service at home?
    did you tried to ping your server from other countries ? how is latency?
    i would say then its fine for development, but you may want get a 5$ vps later that might just works better

3. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

I've hosted home servers long term (Ark, Quake, etc.) on a more than a few occasions with no issues. Just make sure your firewall and antivirus are both in place and you should be quite safe from unwanted intrusion.

Regarding server spec, it does depend on the game, Ark for example can consume a fair few CPU cycles when it gets busy, whereas a Quake server is much more lightweight. But it's a safe bet that any dedicated server will need nowhere near the spec required to play the game.

4. Student4Life

Student4Life

@Tiny-Tree those are great questions, and ones I haven't even considered. They are helpful, thanks. Is a $5 vps the cost per user, or for, say up to 20 players in a room? If I could pay $20 or less a month I'd be happy to do that instead, as my network safety skills aren't great. I just thought the price of entry for server hosting was in the <$100 range even for a single room.

@Munchy2007 Good to hear about your experience. When you talk about the antivirus / firewall, are those mainly for the server, or does security on other home machines (laptop / gaming desktop etc) also need to be stepped up? Really cool to hear the machine would need lower specs. I imagine it would need a great CPU, but maybe less on the GPU side of things? Does a server even need to run game graphics?

5. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

The firewall on any decent router will usually handle any unwanted incoming traffic. For your own peace of mind you may want to make sure that all PCs on your network have firewalls that will alert you to any software that wants to make outgoing connections, but unless you are careless with what you allow to install on them this shouldn't be an issue.

Dedicated servers in my experience have no graphics requirements, usually sending all output to a command window. To handle a single server instance with the number of players you envisage, a low to mid end CPU will probably suffice for most dedicated game servers, but you may want to check the recommended requirements before you decide.

Student4Life likes this.
  6. Student4Life

Student4Life

Fantastic thanks for the helpful info Munchy.
    I think I will start tinkering around with it just for fun :)

7. Player7

Player7

Your biggest problem with home hosting is you have...zero anti dos/ddos protection against any disgruntled player or jealous jackasses etc who might want to ruin it for others... even 1gbit home fibre ain't S*** against a proper attack.

Exposing your home network ip running a public server that might just one of thousands in a public server list for a small time period is one thing.. but running it for a game even for a small but open 'public' community where it is really the only server for said game is asking for potential problems if its going to be around for any long duration.

If you do want to do that (and I don't recommend it) then I would recommend getting a remote server that does have ddos protection and is close by in location to your own residency so ping time to that proxy server and then your own house server is low, that way your public ip for the game server is the proxy server and should anything happen to that, you won't really have to give a crap, though you might still have downtime should it be significant but at least any attacks won't be directly hitting your home ip as that won't be exposed publicly so less of a problem.

It's one of the reasons alot of ISP don't like customers running public servers, as there networks have to then deal with that shi* from *ss hats running such attacks.

Student4Life likes this.
  8. Student4Life

Student4Life

Aha. @Player7 thank you for the warning. My network skills are not very good, so I supposed better safe than sorry.

You make a good distinction between one of hundreds of instances, vs a dedicated singular game -- easier / more interesting target I guess.

Thanks for the warning and possible workaround.