Search Unity

HoloToolkit Build Window doesn't work

Discussion in 'VR' started by 6ead2ebf, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 6ead2ebf

6ead2ebf

Hi HoloLens developers,

I'm having trouble getting the HoloToolkit 'Build Window' to work.

I've exported the HoloToolkit as a Unity package, then re-imported it into my new HoloLens project. When I manually build my VS2015 solution, then build and deploy, my app works fine. When I use the HoloToolkit 'Build Window' to try and build the SLN, APPX and deploy, msbuild will run in the console that pops up for a few minutes, then I get errors in the Unity status bar down the bottom of the Unity editor. E.g. in the screenshot you can see a "System.NUllReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object", although sometimes I see other errors.

Does anyone know if the HoloToolkit build window is functional at this point in time? It seems like it would be a much easier way of developing, rather than having to switch to VS2015 to build and deploy.

I'm using Unity HoloLens 5.4.0b24-HTP (64-bit), Visual Studio 2015 Professional with Update 3 that came out a few weeks ago, and the latest HoloTooklkit as of the time of writing (commit 117f8c5d344ddaf2314012ddb7602a2078b9ce0d, 1 day ago).

Thanks,

2. BrandonFogerty

BrandonFogerty

Hi 6ead2ebf,

Unfortunately I can not speak to the current state of HoloToolkit. However you should be able to get more information by posting your question on the Microsoft forums. Here is the url.

http://forums.hololens.com/

3. Subere023

Subere023

The build window is a new feature added to the HoloToolkit - Unity and I believe it to be a work in progress. The HTK-U does not really keep a stable build set aside, so something there are definite issues. I would put an issue up on the github directly.

https://github.com/Microsoft/HoloToolkit-Unity/issues

4. WithinRafael

WithinRafael

The Build Window is brand new to the toolkit but should be fully functional. Can you click Open SLN and build from that instance of Visual Studio? I've found the first time through, you may need to change the platform from Any CPU to x86 and build once before things start working correctly.