Search Unity

Hololens Photo Capturing Failing

Discussion in 'VR' started by rafaelsistrade, Aug 31, 2018.

1. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Hello,
    I am trying to take a photo from the Hololens in the new version of unity 2018.2.5, in the other version of unity i was all good, but now it's not working.

The only thing i update is unity to version 2018.2.5f1.

I update the Hololens and Unity to the new version 2018.2.6f1, today. but it keeps on crashing.

Here it is the crash log.
    Bug report is number: 1076629. Hope the Unity team fix this soon, because it's impossible to work with Hololens without the camera!!!! We can't do Computer Vision!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a critical problem for all the users of Hololens

Attached Files:

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hello @rafaelsistrade, I checked your bug report number and it appears it's been marked as a duplicate to an issue we are already tracking. At this time I don't have a date when the fix will be ready but wanted to reach out here as well to let you and other users who might find this thread know it's on our radar and we're working on it.

arielfel likes this.
  3. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Hello, @JasonCostanza, any news about the fix about the hololens in Unity 3D.

arielfel likes this.
  4. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

5. Jan-Hovora

Jan-Hovora

As we really need that function working. Do you know which latest version of Unity was ok ?

6. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

I think the version 2018.1.9 or so.

7. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I went ahead and bumped our developers about this issue this morning, so hopefully it can get some attention real soon. Apologies for the slow turn around on it, it's been a busy time!

8. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Really good news then. Thanks for the attention in this problem. It's really important this in the Hololens.

9. gwendalbroudinpro

gwendalbroudinpro

Hi, I'm facing this issue on following versions of Unity as well :
    • 2018.1.9f2
    • 2018.2.11f1
    It is occurring since my hololens updated to RS4, it was working perfectly before =(. @rafaelsistrade do you have this on those version of Unity as well ? Here is a test project

It is also critical for me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

I have the same problems. And it happened the same time as the RS4 was out.
    It's also critical for me as well. I have the project stopped because of this.

11. yaniv_unity392

yaniv_unity392

Also waiting on a solution, anyone found a workaround maybe?

12. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

I don't have a workaround for it sadly. If anyone knows, please inform.

13. yaniv_unity392

yaniv_unity392

Do you know whats the cause of the problem? is it RS4 update? visual studio or unity?

14. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

For what i know and saw here in the forums is the unity

15. yaniv_unity392

yaniv_unity392

Hey, I managed to take photos by reverting Unity back to 2017.4.10f1

16. MAlshair

MAlshair

Hello Everyone:

I also have the same issue. So, I created a workaround for me and those that need to use the camera in the HoloLens by using MediaCapture. The workaround allows to take, save, and display photons in the HoloLens and it satisfies my needs. So, I am sharing this here to maybe help someone else that can't wait like me (I discovered this issue last Friday and it seems that it is going on for a long time):
    https://github.com/MSAlshair/HoloLensMediaCapture

I also posted the comment in the public tracker, https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/windowsmr-failure-to-take-photo-capture-in-hololens
    Thank you!

17. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Update:
    Good news everyone, my engineer just got the fix for this in today so we're getting it through the QA pipeline ASAP and have it out to you all real soon. We are also crafting up backport fixes for 18.2 and 17.4, those might be on a slightly longer timeline however.

rafaelsistrade likes this.
  18. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

So when we can get the update for the version 18.2?
    already have some time for it?

davidjbain likes this.
  19. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

It was merged to our staging branch 6 days ago, so I would expect to see it in the next release of 18.2. Don't see any reason it wouldn't be in the next update from what I know.

davidjbain likes this.
  20. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Not yet in the release 2018.2.15f1, that went out today, at least it's not mentioned in the fixes.
    Maybe in the 2018.16?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    davidjbain likes this.
  21. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Oh that's embarrassing, apologies. I misread and crossed up lines of thought.

It was merged to 18.3 staging, not 2, we're still working on the backports. I'm super sorry for that misinformation I gave. It looks to have shipped in 2018.3.0b9 already which was released a couple days ago. I am poking shoulders and sending messages trying to find an estimate on the backport for 18.2 today and tomorrow. Will update as soon as I find something out concrete for you.

https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2018.3.0b9
    "XR: Fixed serialization faliure in HoloLens photocapture when using .Net that would cause the app to crash. (1024727)"

Man, I made a muck of that one :oops:

22. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

It's fine, we can wait a bit more.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  23. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I'll see if I can twist some arms to get this done sooner. I know how frustrating this is for you all.

arielfel likes this.
  24. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Update:

Spoke to my devs in greater length today about this issue and here's where we landed.

18.3's release date will be very close to when the backport for 18.2 would need to land to help you guys out. As mentioned above it's already fixed in 18.3 so we have decided to let the 18.2 fix ride its natural course and advise an upgrade to 18.3 if you need immediate resolution to this issue.

Both 18.2 and AND 17.4 LTS version will receive their fixes but because of the release date for 18.3 it will be nigh impossible to get priority on an 18.2 fix over 18.3 work that is in the pipeline already as the whole focus right now is releasing 18.3 in the best quality we can.

rafaelsistrade likes this.
  25. larsonmattr

larsonmattr

Will the fix for this be in a 2018.2 release? It is a critical bug and important to me to have in the 2018.2 series.

26. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Yes, It will eventually be fixed in 18.2

27. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Hello.
    It is possible to install de version 2018.3 on the top of the version 2018.2.16 and don't lose anything from the project?

28. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

What are you trying to ask, I appears that the question is missing context of your target goal?

I would say install 2018.3 and you would have both editors to be able to use. You could update your project to 2018.3, however be cautious because we don't support downgrading a project back a revision of the editor.

It can be done, but it can be very messy since it is not a supported path.

29. rafaelsistrade

rafaelsistrade

Better update to the version 2018.2.20 for now and wait for the fix in the 2018.2 version

30. BooNonMooN

BooNonMooN

Well in our case, updating to 2018.3 is no option what so ever, as Unity 2018.3 introduces Nested Prefabs and breaks nearly every old Prefab we have at this time (MRTK).

We need a fix in 2018.2.

31. BooNonMooN

BooNonMooN

So, any solutions or progress on this?

32. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Can you elaborate on why upgrading to 18.3 is not an option? MRTK I believe does have an 18.3 compatible package so it should play nicely with our 18.3 as long as they have done proper upgrading in their project.

33. BooNonMooN

BooNonMooN

The other option is, to take the new MRTK (which is BETA) and basicly rewrite most of the application.

https://github.com/Microsoft/MixedRealityToolkit-Unity/releases

34. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

It appears the 18.2 backport was rejected due to 18.2 no longer being supported. I didn't get news of that myself, I just found it now while digging up the bug and history. Unfortunately that leaves me with the only option I can give is to upgrade to 18.3+ for the fix which definitely did land there.

35. Fangh

Fangh

Hello. I am using Unity 2018.3.13 and still have this issue :
    Failed to prepare for photo capture (hr = 0xC00D3704)

36. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hello @Fangh, that error code is a little ambiguous in its error message, "Hardware MFT failed to start streaming due to lack of hardware resources.", but I suspect it's the camera might be in use by your app or another app that's already running on the device.

Confirm both that there is no other app running that might be using the camera or streaming from it, and also ensure you have the proper capabilities enabled in your Publishing Settings in your Player Settings.

Fangh likes this.
  37. Fangh

Fangh

It was because Vuforia.VuforiaBehaviour.Instance.enabled was true. I disable it before taking a picture then enable it after the picture has been taken. Thank you.

JasonCostanza likes this.