Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Hololens - Enabled Mixed Reality Remoting

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by De-Panther, May 13, 2018.

1. De-Panther

De-Panther

Hi,

Enabled Mixed Reality Remoting, things that I found so far:
    It needs InternetClientServer Capabilities(Maybe also InternetClient).

It can only run as UWP app.(Bummer, as we could use it like the editor with the Holographic Emulation)

The clicker doesn't work, like in the Holographic Emulation.

In 2018.2b3 the Holographic Emulation doesn't work, that made me think that maybe the Enabled Mixed Reality Remoting also doesn't work there... I currently use 2018.2b1 and everything works for me...

An error message "Can't create HolographicSpace because no connection to remote device!" will show on start, even if you set "XRSettings.enabled" to false on Awake.

There's not much documentation on this, download the documentation for the beta, and look for the class "HolographicRemoting" in UnityEngine.XR.WSA

In 2018.2b1 HolographicRemoting.ConnectionState is static, but in 2018.2b3 it isn't.

You can use "Screen Space - Overlay" canvas to control the app on the computer, it won't show on the Hololens. So it's easy to add GUI to connect/disconnect to the device.

Some nice to have features:
    An "Auto-Connect" option, or "Detect if disconnected" option would be nice. As HolographicRemoting.ConnectionState show "Connected" even after you exit the remote app on the device.

Enable Video/Audio options would be nice also.
    And max bitrate, as in the Holographic Emulation.

Enabled Mixed Reality Remoting for Desktop programs(exe files).

Enable the clicker.

Thanks,
    and I hope it'll help to some of you. I had to try and build a test project for so many times...

2. De-Panther

De-Panther

Apps that I deployed for tests in other computers failed to connect.

But on my computer I succeeded to connect even when using 2018.2b4.

There's no indication why I couldn't connect from other computers so any help regarding that would be appreciated.

3. paulmorganrenaultf1

paulmorganrenaultf1

As I mentioned in another thread (https://forum.unity.com/threads/enable-mixed-reality-remoting.530714/), I think it might be because a Unity DLL has not been packaged with the app. The DLL PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll seems to be included in the Unity install but that doesn't help when you are trying to deploy to other machines. I haven't tried copying that DLL on to my test machine, maybe that would work. I was just hoping that there would be another patch and it would fix my issue :)

4. paulmorganrenaultf1

paulmorganrenaultf1

I have tried this again with Unity 2018.2.0b7 and it is still not working. Again, the PerceptionRemotingPlugin.dll is still missing.

De-Panther likes this.
  5. lukasz_pasek

lukasz_pasek

Unity Technologies

Thanks for using remoting feature and all the feedback!

Would it be possible for you to file a bug, so we can have a better look at the issue you are seeing?

Were you able to connect to HoloLens from the Editor when using other computers?

6. paulmorganrenaultf1

paulmorganrenaultf1

When I try to file a bug the bug report tool gets to "Uploading the report" at 50% then times out. Does this tool work if you have a proxy?

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, if the env variables are set correctly it should work via proxy. Could you try again with the http_proxy variable set?

8. De-Panther

De-Panther

Yes.
    Another computer with Unity installed on, using the remote option on the emulator worked. And failed runing the remote option in an UWP experience that was compiled in another computer.

Also, would it be possible to run it in a desktop app instead of UWP? It runs in the editor, and the editor is not UWP app...