Search Unity

Hololens Emulator not found in Visual Studio

Discussion in 'VR' started by sherryq6, Oct 18, 2016.

1. sherryq6

sherryq6

Hi,

I am working on this tutorial: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/holographic/holograms_101e

I'm on the last bullet point in Chapter 1. I'm using Unity Hololens 5.4.0f3. When I open the Origami project in Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, I can't find the Hololens Emulator as a device. I only see a green arrow that points to "Start". I have re-installed the Emulator, but it still doesn't show up in VS.

Also, when I run "Start without debugging" in VS, I get error: "CS5001: Program does not contain a static 'Main' method suitable for an entry point."

Does anyone know why the Emulator doesn't show up in VS, or why I'm seeing this error?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

3. sherryq6

sherryq6

Yes, I have the emulator installed.

So my problem before was that I didn't have the correct version of Windows 10 SDK (10.0.10586). I re-installed VS with the correct version of Windows 10 SDK, opened up VS, and the Emulator showed up as one of the devices.

Then, I closed VS, opened it again, and Emulator is not an option anymore. In fact, the only option next to the green arrow is "Start".

4. sherryq6

sherryq6

I'm trying to check if Target Platform Version in VS is 10.0.10586, but when I go to my Project Properties I don't see Target Platform as any of the fields.

5. sherryq6

sherryq6

If I just go ahead with the "Start" button, where it's supposed to say "Hololens Emulator", then I get a pop-up with error "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project to this solution which references the library project. Set the executable project as the startup project."

6. sherryq6

sherryq6

Sorry, I just realized what I did wrong.

For some reason, there are 2 Origami VS objects generated from the Unity build -- one under the App folder, and one in the directory above it. I had opened the Origami VS file in the directory above it, and that was the problem.

Can someone explain why there are 2 Origami VS files though? Or did I just miss something really obvious

7. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Could you send a screen shot of what you are seeing please?

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The one at the root of Unity project root wasn't generated by the build - it's meant for editing and debugging scripts in the editor.

Finnegan2100 likes this.
  9. ArthurEmcon2

ArthurEmcon2

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

For whatever reason, it seems "Il2CppOutputProject" is set as the "startup" project. In the solution explorer, find the project that's named after your project, right click on it and set it as startup project.