Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HoloLens Contest Finalists

Discussion in 'VR' started by Jacob_Unity, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Hi All,

We’re delighted to announce our finalists! We had >1,000 submissions, many of which were such incredibly great ideas that this contest was difficult to judge. Thank you all so much for participating! Even if you weren’t selected as a finalist, we do hope you go on to build your great idea.

With that being said, congrats to our ten finalists! For details on the selected submissions, please see below in no particular order:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Project:
    The Emperor Norton Bridge a.k.a the Bay Bridge / San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge

Summary:
    The purpose of this project is to create a HoloLens app for entertainment and education. The entertainment aspect is a) navigating around the bay and bridge to watch a light show set to music, and b) interacting with the lights. The educational side is about Joshua Norton. Joshua Norton lived in San Francisco during the gold rush, where he made and lost his fortune. He disappeared for a year after his loss, returning as Norton I, The Emperor of the United States, a deed cementing his status as one of San Francisco's fabulous eccentric and lovable characters. Among many of his published proclamations, the Emperor proclaimed this bridge be built (back in 1872) and in several separate instances, that all people ought to be treated equitably. Here was a man living well ahead of his time!

Developer:
    Julie Driver

---

Project:
    Music Everywhere

Summary:
    Music Everywhere is an augmented reality piano learning tool that focuses on teaching improvisation in blues, rock, jazz and classical styles. Students at the piano can engage with interactive lessons, watch virtual hand demonstrations, see and hear example improvisations, and play their own solos and accompaniment along with AR-projected virtual bands and musicians.

Developer:
    Seth Glickman

Founded in May 2017. Based in Pittsburgh, PA.

https://www.music-everywhere.co

https://www.facebook.com/musiceverywhr/

--

Project:
    The Thin Red Line

Summary:
    “The Thin Red Line” enables users to simulate fighting everything from small kitchen fires to fighting fires using the techniques and training required by professional Firefighters. Users of the application will learn everything from basic fire safety to advanced techniques used in firefighting.

Developer:
    Todd Barron is an IT professional, volunteer certified Firefighter, and Emergency Medical Technician for the State of Colorado through Timberline Fire Protection District and has been working on this concept since HoloLens was announced.

--

Project:
    ZOOO

Summary:
    You will be able to summon animals and imaginary animals everywhere.
    So, you can experience the zoo anywhere.

We have released HoloGiraffe on Windows store. It will enable you to summon a giraffe.
    HoloGiraffePV:

HoloGiraffe is a trial version of ZOOO, and ZOOO makes more animals appear!

Developer:
    Kazuya Noshiro

--

Project:
    HOLO BUTTERFLIES

Summary:
    Experience your space filled with beautiful and delightful virtual butterflies that you and your friends have designed in the real-world using traditional art.

Simply draw, scan, then experience them come to life around you - one or a hundred - as many as you like. Watch them, interact with them, or even catch them with your virtual net - but be gentle.

Holo Butterflies is a fun interactive experience for people of all ages.

Developer:
    Peter Koch

---

Project:
    Mixed Reality Collaboration Service

Summary:
    The Mixed Reality Collaboration Service helps organizations design and build shared experiences for Microsoft HoloLens, Windows Mixed Reality Immersive Headsets, and Windows 10 PCs. This technology allows collaboration in real time from remote locations, enabled by life-size 3D avatars and spatial audio chat. Through this service, organizations can improve communications between dispersed teams, regardless of their location, with efficient viewing and discussion of the same 3D models as if everyone is in the same location.

Developer:
    Michael Hoffman and Raven Zachary

--

Project:
    Titan

Summary:
    The application submitted is called "Titan" and is a virtual exploration of living on Titan, the largest moon of Saturn. This summer and fall, the NASA Cassini-Huygens mission completes one of the most successful explorations of our solar system as it explores Saturn and its moons. "Titan" will build an immersive experience of living on the surface of the moon Titan. Upon launching the application, the HoloLens presents a wall-anchored porthole view to the outside surface where Saturn hangs in the sky and a liquid hydrocarbon lake ripples on the surface. The user will need to interact with holographic clues to identify the reasons behind the death of a previous station occupant, to maintain the station, and to explore the surface of the moon via a remote holographic display. The view of the outside surface and an interface that avoids view-locked menus will create a sense of immersion of life on another world. the moon Titan.

Developer:
    Matt Larson, Independent Developer

--

Project:
    Scenery Visualisation

Summary:
    My idea for the Hololens is to create a visualisation experience which uses full scale and 1:50 scale holograms of scenery throughout the design process to enable design teams to experience the scenery as they would for real, and also to facilitate creative discussions in design meetings. I would want to build an interactive UI that allows creatives the ability to manipulate their scene environment with gesture controls from a library of stock assets as well as using imported assets of the designers creations from other 3D modelling tools.

To make the application more practical, I am planning to bridge network protocols from existing stage technology systems, such as stage lighting consoles and scenery and automation control servers for operating hydraulic lifts and motor winches. Once these systems are bridged, I am able to connect into our app and program a holographic show using the real tools used on stage, which can then be transferred to the actual stage for technical rehearsals with the real scenery and lights. Doing pre-visualisation in this way will save time, labour and risk from operating heavy scenery and will allow an entire production team, including the performers, to be networked together on Hololens and be able to see and experience the scenic changes of the show during a rehearsal, before the scenery has even been built.

Developer:
    James Simpson

--

Project:
    Remembrance training with tests and gamification

Summary:
    1. Create (simple) items to be remembered.
    2. Build a memory palace in an indoor environment.
    3. Test your remembrance and score points for right indications.

Developer:
    Frank Groh, "Flauchers Finest" Independent Developer

--

Project:
    Display how to fold Origami

Summary:
    With HoloLens this app will show you how to fold origami in front of you.
    The samples that can be seen in front of you are displayed in 3D, which will educate you on how to fold.
    Also you can use both hands in this experience so you can fold smoothly.

Developer:
    Yukako Sato & Yuji Okoba

--

Congratulations again to all the finalists, we’re excited to see the experiences/apps built.

We’ll showcase these here once completed in November.

Unity_Wesley and Circool like this.
  2. zugsoft

zugsoft

Great, but seriously my idea for stroke patient was more much better, and could help thousand peoples.

3. Jesus

Jesus

I found this on the contest page website. There was some more criteria (% based per section) from memory but can't find it any more. Anyone able to find/grab it?

"
    Criteria
    • Outline the opportunity you see, or the problem you’re trying to solve : This should be something that would help people at work, home, school, in a hospital, etc.
    • Clearly define the audience you are targeting with this solution. i.e. who would benefit from your solution and why?
    • Why HoloLens? What unique features will you be leveraging to make this solution possible?
    We want to see how your ideas and content can help solve real-world problems today.
    "

zugsoft likes this.
  4. zugsoft

zugsoft

Exactly Jesus, I submitted a idea to solve a very important problem for stroke patient.
    I work for Hospital as game developer for several years.

Only in USA we have 800'000 stroke patient every year,
    • 10% of stroke survivors recover almost completely
    • 25% recover with minor impairments
    • 40% experience moderate to severe impairments requiring special care
    • 10% require care in a nursing home or other long-term care facility
    • 15% die shortly after the stroke
    Source : http://www.stroke.org/we-can-help/stroke-survivors/just-experienced-stroke/rehab

My solution could help 75% people after the stroke, by solving a important point.

I don't understand why we have a Giraffe, butterflies or Origami in the finalist list, very strange for me.
    I think Microsoft don't have medical knowledge and skills.

frankadimcosta and Circool like this.
  5. Cleversan

Cleversan

https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens-contest/terms-and-conditions

Phase 1: The 10 finalist in Phase 1 of this contest will be selected by a panel of our judges per the following criteria and awarded based upon highest score:

· Originality & Feasibility- up to 50%

· Target Audience Scope- up to 20%

· Hololens Features Leveraged- up to 30%

Jesus likes this.
  6. beppescavo

beppescavo

Same here. Submitted an idea for social participation but apparently "butterflies" and "giraffe summoning" (seriously?) are more interesting...

Yukihirotkyo likes this.
  7. trzy

trzy

I think the reason you were not selected is that the judges knew you would be the least gracious losers ever, and wanted to give you all the opportunity to humiliate yourselves after the fact.

Seriously.

Congrats to the finalists! I'm excited to learn more about these apps when they are released to the public in November.

We losers should build our apps if they're such great ideas instead of whining about it like jealous siblings who didn't get a cookie from mommy.

Yukihirotkyo likes this.
  8. maurope

maurope

I am very disappointed with the results. I believe that this feeling is shared by many others.

The reason is that the contest criteria appear to have been completely ignored by the judges. In my opinion, this shows a lack of respect to all participants that prepared a submission based on those. And this is not a minor thing.
    I am not sure why the judges decided to ignore the criteria, it could be negligence, incapacity, or who knows what.

For instance, the criteria on the contest page clearly said:
    [...] This should be something that would help people at work, home, school, in a hospital, etc.[…]
    We want to see how your ideas and content can help solve real-world problems today.
    Now, out of ten winners, maybe five projects are in line with the criteria above.

Could anybody from the judges panel please explain to me what kind of real-world problems projects ZOOO, HOLO BUTTERFLIES, Display how to fold Origami are trying to solve?
    Considering that more than 1000 projects were submitted, I believe it shouldn’t have been too difficult to find projects that better covered those criteria.

It seems that you guys (at Unity) were not prepared for the contest success and didn’t manage to set up a proper judges panel. That’s ok, I am glad that you decided to create the contest in the first place. This was a new contest, things can happen.

Please consider this idea: select 10 additional finalists that submitted projects in line with the contest criteria. I think that would be interesting.

frankadimcosta, TL021 and SBotev like this.
  9. TL021

TL021

I feel scammed. Here MS/Unity. I'll cut and paste here for reference:
    Criteria
    • Outline the opportunity you see, or the problem you’re trying to solve : This should be something that would help people at work, home, school, in a hospital, etc.
    • Clearly define the audience you are targeting with this solution. i.e. who would benefit from your solution and why?
    • Why HoloLens? What unique features will you be leveraging to make this solution possible?

10. peterept2

peterept2

I can't speak for the other finalists but I can for Holo Butterflies as that is my entry.

I submitted far more information then in the synopsis posted above, giving it's background, workings and what it is trying to solve in the K-12 education space.

The Holo Butterflies is the latest iteration in a series of trials I have run to bring AR and VR into schools.

Schools don't want AR/VR to be just a novel experience, they are looking for a tool that can really help students improve their learning and be integrated into the classroom. I have been very lucky to find some very enthusiastic schools here in Australia that have allowed me to bring in AR and VR technologies, and work with them and their curriculums to find a sweet spot that works.

I have used Google Cardboard, GearVR and PC VR in various ways, with existing apps, but as I am a developer, I solve the problems I find by building my own applications / platforms.

The Holo Butterflies is not really about the butterflies (although they are magical and beautiful, and appeal to all ages and all genders), at it's core it's about a couple of problems:

1. AR/VR technology is expensive and schools can not fund devices for every student today. Schools can justify on average maybe 5 or 10 devices from my experience.

2. The schools want a way to link from the traditional teaching methods into AR/VR. The teachers want to be in control and able to manage all students using the technology

3. Students want to have shared experiences in AR/VR together.

So what Holo Butterflies is about is, lets call it a "cross-reality" application - which means it can take parts of reality and import them into the digital reality. Allowing us to just to augment reality, but actually interact and change reality.

For butteflies, it means students can create butterflies on paper using traditional methods (eg: drawing), and then when they get a turn of the AR headset the butterflies are seamlessly scanned in, and come to life in AR.

This means students can share headsets as they don't need to wear them all the time.

It also means the teaching process follows both a traditional approach extending part of the class into AR.

I am very honoured to be a finalist, and I am working hard to live up to the responsibilities of such competition.

I've been working as a developer in AR for the last 6 years, and have been involved with shipping over 100 AR/VR applications in that time. I run a VR developer blog where I continue to share what I have learnt with the wider dev community.

I hope I can help push AR into our education system as so far I have seen the power to greatly enhance how we learn.

Kind Regards,

Peter

amirtha_255 and efge like this.
  11. maurope

maurope

Hi Peter,
    thank you for taking the time to tell us a bit more about your project.
    Best of luck

12. Jjules

Jjules

"We want to see how your ideas and content can help solve real-world problems today."

Yeah, because one of the biggest epidemics the human race faces today is that we cant summon virtual zoo animals in our living room. Either you got 990 garbage entries, or somebody screwed the pooch big-time. This is a disgrace