Search Unity

Question HoloLens 2 Edge Browser Stuck Sleeping within Unity App

Discussion in 'AR' started by Nicolas_TAF, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Nicolas_TAF

Nicolas_TAF

For reference, I am using Unity 2020 LTS, MRTK for Unity, and HoloLens 2.

Using "UnityEngine.WSA.Launcher.LaunchUri" for opening a 2D Edge browser while inside a Unity 3D app has been successful for me, unless Edge then enters what I suspect is a "silent sleep mode". The Edge window then becomes unresponsive to input and will not wake up. This is happening when I look away from the Edge window, towards other parts of my Unity application and/or raise the HL2 glasses. It takes less than a minute to fail.

To clarify, it is not the same "sleep mode" that 2D apps enter when in the HoloLens 2 home screen, where they darken and have a spinning circle icon when resuming. The "silent sleep mode" I'm referring to here has no indication on the window that it is inactive and does not resume upon interaction. Perhaps that window is crashing, but I do not understand why. It happens on any website I try. It does not happen when outside of a Unity 3D application. I am using a practically empty Unity scene with only a button to call LaunchUri, so I do not expect it to be because other "Unity-land" workloads are flooding the device.

Has anyone had an experience like this or have any insight?
    Is there any way to "wake up" this window?
    Is there any way to communicate with the Edge window via code, excluding launching a new window instead?
    Is there a better way to use Edge within Unity than LaunchUri?
    Is there any other browser that supports WebRTC that can work within a HL2 3D Unity app?

2. keveleigh

keveleigh

Official Microsoft Employee

Strange! If you could record a Feedback Hub submission getting into this state and let me know the title (and I always forget if it gives you an issue number or something, but that too please if it does!). That should let us get some additional information about what state the browser is going into.

RemyJacks likes this.
  3. oclement6

oclement6

Any update / fix on this issue? I pretty much have the same problem using the same setup.

4. Nicolas_TAF

Nicolas_TAF

Unfortunately, this has been deprioritized for me since then - no updates.

5. TRaupach

TRaupach

Hey everyone,
    just stumbled across this thread because I have the exact same problem. It however is present even when launching a Microsoft own 3D App like "Tips" and then opening another 2D app. For example, "Photos". This 2D app will freeze after about 10 seconds when not looking at it. Does anyone have a workaround? I do realise this is not a specifically Unity related problem but it also happens with my Unity app. I will ask this in MS HoloLens forums as well.

Thank you all