Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HoloLens 1 Emulator won't run, error DEP6100

Discussion in 'VR' started by jchallenorstaffs, Jul 25, 2019.

1. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Hi all,

For the last week and a half I've been trying and failing to get the HoloLens 1 emulator to run. No matter what I do or how many threads I comb through, I can't find anything that will make it work. I'll try to list everything I can remember to help find the problem.

• Installed all the pre-requisites on the HoloLens emulator site.
    • Installed the SDKs for Windows 10
    • Enabled Hyper-V in windows and BIOS (Windows 10 Pro)
    • Configured my Unity project exactly the same way that Microsoft showed in their tutorials
    • Built for UWP with D3D
    • Reinstalled the tools in the order specified by Microsoft
    • Banged my head against my desk a lot
    I can't remember what else I've done but if I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Every time I get met with this message:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error DEP6100: The following unexpected error occurred during bootstrapping stage 'Connecting to the device '[Device name]'.': NullReferenceException - Object reference not set to an instance of an object. [0x80004003] Origami

For context, I have tried this on both my home PC and my office PC, both get the same error.

Now this is the part where I'm speculating because I haven't used Hyper-V before and I'm not familiar with its operational usage. I've seen threads where people have discussed changing properties of their virtual machine in Hyper-V. However, when I looked at the switches in my Hyper-V Manager, there is only the default switch. Other threads made it sound as if there should be a second switch for the HoloLens emulator? Is this correct? Is there anything I need to do in the Hyper-V Manager to set up the virtual machine myself?

*Side note, I tried installing the HoloLens 2 emulator as well to see if that worked, and got the same error message.

2. Unity_Wesley

Unity_Wesley

Unity Technologies

Hello, did you make sure to enable Hyper - V and Telnet in our Windows Features? Just double checking since I think it looks like you enable Virtualization in the BIOS of your computer.

Also, which version of the HoloLens emulator are you using?

3. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Virtualization in my BIOS is enabled. Hyper-V was enabled in Windows Features but Telnet was not, the documentation didn't say to enable that one but I've just done so. The emulator version is 10.0.17763.134.

I'm still getting the error message with Telnet enabled :(

4. P_D_B

P_D_B

Microsoft Employee

@jchallenorstaffs Telnet is not required and in fact cannot be used with the HoloLens Emulator. This error usually means the SDK is not installed where it is expected to be. This can happen if you installed certain SDKs first on your machine. The required files end up in your Program Files\Windows Kits\10 folder instead of Program Files (x86)\WIndows Kits\10 folder. You'll likely encounter other problems building certain types of apps if you use Visual Studio, so correcting the problem is important.

The best fix is to remove all of the SDKs you installed, including the HoloLens Emulator, then install the Windows 10 SDK first. Before continuing to other SDKs, make sure the "KitsRoot10" value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots points to your Program Files (x86) folder (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10), then reinstall any other SDKs you need, including the HoloLens Emulator. This will place the files in the correct location.

If you've intentionally installed the SDKs to a folder other than Program Files (x86), please note that this is not supported for all components, including the HoloLens Emulator (1st gen). The next update to the HoloLens 2 Emulator does support this. If you are unable to install to the Program Files (x86) folder (e.g., due to a lack of disk space), please let me know.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  5. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Sorry for the delay, I've been unwell these last few days.

I've done as you said and the HoloLens emulator now starts! Hooray for progress!

However we're not out of the woods yet. When it starts, it gets stuck on "OS is starting..." for a few minutes, then I get another error in Visual Studio. This time it's:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error DEP0001: Unexpected Error: SmartDeviceException - BOOT_E_CONFIGURATION_ERROR [0x80131500] Origami

I've attached a screenshot. Is something wrong with the virtual machine?

Attached Files:

6. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Attached Files:

7. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

It's working!

Something didn't feel right after my experiment yesterday so I tried rebuilding from unity and now it's working! I have a functional emulator!

Attached Files:

P_D_B and JasonCostanza like this.
  8. P_D_B

P_D_B

Microsoft Employee

9. jona111

jona111

Hi,
    I am facing the exact same problem of NullReferenceException for some weeks now (Tried several suggestions). After trying the suggestion of reinstalling the SDKs the problem persists.

I followed the Microsoft list of installing the tools and also configured the Unity project as in the Microsoft tutorial.

Tried: re-installing hyper V, re-installing the emulator, re-installing SDK and emulator.
    Currently running: Unity 2017.4, Windows 10 Pro, Visual Studio 2017, Hololens Emulator 10.0.17763.134

Is there any other suggestion that I can try to solve this problem?

10. P_D_B

P_D_B

Microsoft Employee

@jona111 The error means that your SDKs are not installed to the correct location. This can happen if you installed the original release of Visual Studio 2019 (16.0) or if you installed an SDK manually first and chose a custom folder as the destination. The solution is to remove all SDKs (the Windows SDK and the HoloLens Emulator(s), for example) and reinstall them, ensuring that they get installed to your Program Files (x86) folder. When you run setup, if the destination folder is anything other than your Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10 folder, stop and fix the "KitsRoot10" value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots to point to that folder (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10). This is documented in the Troubleshooting section at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/using-the-hololens-emulator.

11. jona111

jona111

I checked the "KitsRoot10" and it points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10. Also the SDKs were installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

I also have a question: is it a must to have administrator privileges on windows 10 in order to make it work?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  12. P_D_B

P_D_B

Microsoft Employee

@jona111 Can you please open an Administrator PowerShell window, run the following three commands and send the output?

(Get-Item -path "${env:ProgramFiles(x86)}\Windows Kits\10\Microsoft XDE\10.0.17763.0\XDE.exe").VersionInfo.ProductVersion

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots\" -Name "KitsRoot10"

Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots\" -Name "KitsRoot10"

Also, can you detail what occurs when you attempt to deploy to the emulator? Specifically, does the error occur immediately or do you see an emulator window first but Visual Studio still shows an error? Do you see any prompts to run the emulator as Administrator?

13. jona111

jona111

I run the commands:
    1. From the first one I found out that Microsoft XDE was on Program Files folder. The folder did not exist in Program Files (x86).

2. KitsRoot10 : C:\Program Files\Windows Kits\10\
      PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots\
      PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Kits
      PSChildName : Installed Roots
      PSDrive : HKLM
      PSProvider : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry

3. KitsRoot10 : C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\
      PSPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Kits\Installed Roots\
      PSParentPath : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windws Kits
      PSChildName : Installed Roots
      PSDrive : HKLM
      PSProvider : Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\Registry
    So, after manually copy pasting the Microsoft XDE folder from Program Files to Program Files (x86). The Hololens Emulator run successfully. YAAAY! Thank you for pointing that out :)

Note: The error previously occurred immediately after starting the deployment (I did not see the emulator window) and also there were no prompts for running the emulator as Administrator.

14. P_D_B

P_D_B

Microsoft Employee

@jona111 Glad to hear you have this working. The problem is exactly what I described earlier in this thread. To truly fix your machine, you should follow the steps I previously outlined to correct the KitsRoot10 folder. Without doing this, you will continue to encounter other problems with the Windows SDK and future HoloLens Emulator builds.

15. Sliedtke

Sliedtke

@jona111 Same here.
    XDE was installed only on ProgramFiles\Windows Kits\... and not in ProgramFiles(x86) a symbolic link for "Microsoft XDE" and "Emulator\HoloLens".
    Fun Fact: It works on my other machine without doing anything...
    Maybe it's related to a clean installation with the new HoloLens2 emulator ".1053"