Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Holographic Remoting a real time saver

Discussion in 'VR' started by monkeybrainz, Nov 19, 2016.

1. monkeybrainz

monkeybrainz

i tried using the Holographic Remoting feature in the 5.50b11 build and i'm loving it. I ran into an issue while working on my first app (43 builds before fixing it...) and being able to cut out the build/deploy steps is awesome. yes it crashes Unity regularly but I know it's in the beta version. it makes it a breeze to make minor adjustments and tweak parameters.

go unity hololens team!

2. Xin

Xin

and now apparently you can build standalone apps to utilizes remoting as well.

3. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Source? I've been waiting for this and the Unity team are telling me it might be on their road map but nothing else.

4. pfreese

pfreese

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the positive feedback!

If you do get crashes, however, please don't skip the Submit a Bug Report step. We'd like to make sure we have all the issues resolved for the final 5.5 release.

monkeybrainz likes this.
  5. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

Any word on being able to do this in a UWP build?
    What's the current state of the Holographic Remoting? Is all the data being streamed back from the device currently? Do we have to access that manually or is it fed over automatically?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  6. pfreese

pfreese

Unity Technologies

This is still something we're investigating, but no timeline or commitment yet.
    Device position/orientation, gestures, and spatial mapping data are streamed from the device. Speech and PhotoCapture are not currently supported.
    Data is automatically streamed. You don't need to do anything different in your app.

Gizmoi likes this.
  7. Gizmoi

Gizmoi

If PhotoCapture is not currently supported does that mean the camera is also not supported?
    Vuforia needs access to the camera, do you have any ideas how this would work over remoting?

monkeybrainz likes this.
  8. monkeybrainz

monkeybrainz

ok, i've been closing the bug report window but i'll actually fill it out next time

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It uses the camera hooked up to your PC atm I believe.

10. KarlosZafra

KarlosZafra

This is a real time saver, specially if you're tweaking small items in the UI.
    Plus I can listen to music while I'm developing with the headset on.
    Kudos!!!

Hodgson_SDAS and pfreese like this.
  11. pfreese

pfreese

Unity Technologies

This is a happy side-effect!

12. jose-araujo

jose-araujo

Hi, thanks for great work!

I was wondering if there is a way to run the holographic remoting together with other applications in the Hololens? I would like to use the holographic remoting to keep virtual content synchronized between the hololens and a desktop, but then have another application to do analyze the camera stream from the Hololens at the Hololens and also run another application to send some extra data from the Hololens to the desktop. As I have tried it, the other applications in the Hololens are turned off once holographic remoting is running. Any way to avoid this?

Thanks for the help!